Angry Robot 2017 Open Door

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Definitely take as long as you need to make your manuscript as polished as possible! I suspect they split it all up into groups anyway, with each reader taking a different stack of manuscripts to read through, so it won't matter if you are in early or near the end. Just make it good :D

P.K. Torrens - So far they have done Open Doors yearly, or skipping a year: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017 I believe. I suspect the decision boils down to "Do we have the time and publishing schedule slots to run this."

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The company seems very personal with a cool crew

BlinkerBot

Displaced New Englander
Registered
Reaction score
Sent my sub this morning. I know subbing early has zero impact on when or how quickly my MS will get reviewed, but it still feels better to get it in rather than waiting. :)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Love their "wtf" genre tickbox. I get quite a lot of "wtf" comments from betas ;-)

My two CPs are kindly looking over revisions now and last fresh-eyes beta is about halfway through... I reckon I'll send just before Christmas if I can, and then not worry about it.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using all the time I can. Feedback from a beta reader does that.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I will throw my hat into the ring for the first time ever. They're an awesome publisher. But I'll probably send it close to the deadline so I can do more edits. Not expecting to get it, however, because that's life.

Mark HJ

Cat whisperer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
markhuntleyjames.wordpress.com
After days of re-checking, re-reading... I put my sub in today. :)

PS - got the acknowledgement email, including my MS as an attachment, which is great because now there's no fretting that it didn't upload properly, because my internet connection was having a fit of the stupids.

Last edited:

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad this is here again. I'll be subbing soon.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question - If your MS isn't accepted, but then later you get an agent and shop it around, will they auto-reject? Only because sometimes agents will take the time to edit to make the MS shine. I just really like them as a publisher and don't want to lose my chance on this MS.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I'm guessing it's a case by case basis for that one with no hard answer. I'm not an industry person, ofc.

There's no "risk" of me getting an agent for this MS though so I personally am only burning a bridge I'd never otherwise get to cross!

kaysa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chlorociboria.com
Are we going to have a participation spreadsheet again like last time? That made it a lot of fun to track everyone's submission!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Oh go on then...

Post your genre and sub data and I'll sort it out.

Genre
Submitted Date Response Date
Outcome

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Update for you all from Marc Gascoigne - halfway through the Open Door period so far and they've reached 500 submissions already. So far two have been elevated for the whole team to consider, and rejections have now started too, with several dozen gone out already.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Update for you all from Marc Gascoigne - halfway through the Open Door period so far and they've reached 500 submissions already. So far two have been elevated for the whole team to consider, and rejections have now started too, with several dozen gone out already.

Yikes! Thanks for the update, much appreciated. Sounds like they'll have a busy holiday period.

I haven't sent off (and looks like not many others had, judging by the silence so far on this thread).

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a round of edits currently, so I'll be sending mine off in the next two/three weeks.

BlueLobster

New Lobster; Anxious About Boxes
Registered
Reaction score
I keep writing and rewriting my synopsis and one sentence. I always feel like I make the synopsis too play-by-play. Any suggestions, Pete?