Hello, happy to be here!

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
This girl has lurked about this forum for a while: a lot of info on here that's been very useful.

Been writing for a while as well, got a bunch of stories floating around journals the world over, and at the moment, my agent is shopping my (hopefully) debut novel.

Looking for crit partners in literary/ book-club fiction/ literary women's fiction--so will very slowly work my way upto the critique forums.

Thanks for having me here, and looking forward to listen and learn.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to cooler, Neem :Sun:Sing out if you get lost - there's always someone around.

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much mccardey! I'm still trying to figure out a way to get notified via the forum every time someone replies to me. The FAQ thread tells me about thread tools, but I haven't had any luck with it so far. Must I subscribe to receive email alerts for all posts?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any thread you post in will automatically subscribe you, and then you can check subscribed posts to see if there are answers. Clicking New Posts will give you all new posts since you were last logged in.

You can also subscribe to threads you haven't posted in by would like to follow. Recieving email alerts for every post will make a terrible mess of your inbox - better to opt for one weekly email (which you probably won't read anyway, because nothing is nearly as important later....)

Have you read the Newbies Guide? A mod will be in to give you a link to it any moment now...

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for being such a help. I have been reading the newbies guide but big chunks of texts and instructions defeat me. I've now managed to subscribe to the threads I want to, but can't find the blessed subscription folder! Don't you just love stumbling noobs? Sorry to be a dolt--sadly, it is my default state unless it is related to writing.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not you - and you're not a dolt. The site is made especially tricky in order to help us procrastinate better. (I'm so gonna get smacked for that ;) )

Hang on a sec while I go and see where we've put the subscription folders.

ETA: Okay - click on SETTINGS, right up at the top righthand corner of your screen next to Log Out (hint: don't click Log Out) and then on the left hand side of the page that comes up you'll find the very folder you're looking for. Only I just forgot what its called, but it might be Subscriptions.

All this becomes automatic after a while, and you only feel daft when someone asks how to do it...

ETA2: Acksherly, just clicking settings will give you access to whatever you want, probably - including rep points. Hang on, and I'll send you a rep.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See how much you've learned already? Well done!!

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance, have found the folder. I shall not say anything about how tough it was to find the subscriptions folder, it is undoubtedly my dolt-ness! Thanks for the rep, I shall now attempt to send you one. I'm learning, and quickly, thanks absolutely to you! AW seems like a super-kindly place, I've now met Anna, and you :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Neem!

I have to say your thread has been very helpful to me! I am very new to this forum, and even though I have been on forums before, the ones I am used to are not set up in this type of format, so that whole subscriptions folder debacle will come in very handy to me, so thank you!

I hope your agent finds you a great deal, I would love to get published some day.

All I have right now is about three or four years worth of blog material. I know, I know, everyone today has a "blog" so none of my blathering will probably be relevant to anyone, but I would hope SOMEONE out there would interested to hear how an untreated bipolar woman lived her whole life without medication, lived on the streets of NYC at age 15 and made herself into a success. Not too bad right? I don't know, everyone has a story I guess.

Anyway, welcome to the site, if you ever want to talk or just shoot the breeze, drop me a line sometime!

See you around the site!

Last edited:

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, glad to be of help, Articulate Lady, even if inadvertently :).

That's one hell of a story if you decide to write a memoir, and your blog will be very helpful as a platform if you've already developed it. Blogs are very good for non-fiction.

My blog is 9 years old, with thousands of subscribers, but it helped only in an indirect way with getting an agent. And I'm not sure how helpful it will be with a novel, once I get an offer. I blog for the love of it.

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, would love a chat some time.

Articulate Lady

Seductive Artist of Words and Ideas
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, glad to be of help, Articulate Lady, even if inadvertently :).

That's one hell of a story if you decide to write a memoir, and your blog will be very helpful as a platform if you've already developed it. Blogs are very good for non-fiction.

My blog is 9 years old, with thousands of subscribers, but it helped only in an indirect way with getting an agent. And I'm not sure how helpful it will be with a novel, once I get an offer. I blog for the love of it.

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, would love a chat some time.

Wow! A 9-year blog! That's awesome. The problem with me is I keep redoing the blog every year, because on one blog I let too many F Bombs fly and they labeled it as mature and I lost my audience, and then I got stalked on my other one. So yeah, I had to start from scratch THREE times, losing hundreds of subscribers three times as well. Now I am only at over 100 people reading my blog, but I am trying my best to put my work out there.

But yeah, I am thinking of a memoir as I have a helluva story to tell!

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the site. Any tips for being on the site? Any favorite sections you like to go to so far?

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the site. Any tips for being on the site? Any favorite sections you like to go to so far?

I've lurked on the site for a long while before joining, and it has been very helpful in my journey. I've joined now because I want to find good critique partners in the genre I write in-- two of my CPs have had personal issues and are out of commission for some time.

On this forum I usually check out the bits on agents and submissions, the rejection threads, writing prompts. Being a newbie to this place, tips I can offer would be pretty standard: to be courteous, respectful, open to learning, and not get into any discussions that might lead to flames. :)

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Happy to have you here, AcaciaNeem. Your name represents 2 medicinal trees. Sweet like Acacia and bitter like Neem. And You know what I mean...LOL

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Happy to have you here, AcaciaNeem. Your name represents 2 medicinal trees. Sweet like Acacia and bitter like Neem. And You know what I mean...LOL

Thanks, DrDLN, and impressed with your knowledge of plants and herbs. I think we're all a mixture of sweet and bitter, and as a writer and editor, I'm more so than most. Welcome to the forum and hope to see you around.