• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

I'm Looking For A Writing Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Good luck with that.

Writing tends to be a lonely, self-taught profession.

You'll find lots of mentors on this site just by reading the posts and putting up samples for critique. That's way MORE than I ever had starting out. But ultimately the best way for you to learn is just plunge in and do it.

You are not the first to propose this sort of thing; I've heard variations of it over the years and so far as I know those would-be writers are still waiting for someone to swoop in and help them.

Unless a previously published writer with an agent is independently wealthy and bursting with saint-like generosity, he or she is just going to be too busy with their own work to partner up with a learner.

Don't wait on them. Just get started. In this vocation you learn by DOING.

An artist may take an art course to learn to mix paints, but he doesn't expect his teacher to fill in the canvas, then place it in the gallery for him.

Get a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style, read a LOT to see how other writers did it, and start writing for two hours a day, every day, for two weeks and see what happens.

(Two hours a day is a very LIGHT load for a pro writer--something I got from Joe Bob Briggs.)

Again--good luck.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
I've already started the book and it's over half way completed. This is my fifth manuscript. I write for fifteen hours a day. I've been told that I have a strong writing style and that I'm good at it, but I'm always searching for ways to improve my writing, which I feel all writers should do.

I admit that my first two books I wrote were published by PublishAmerica, but I've learned from that and I'm holding out this time and focusing on my main goal to be published with a commercial publisher. I know it will happen someday.

rich

I could see writing partners in nonfiction, not fiction. I'm sure that it's been done. Someplace.

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
I co-wrote a fiction book last year with another author last year that comes on here. Neither one of us had ever entered a writing contest, but decided to enter it just to see how it did. It didn't win, but was a finalist. From that, a publisher asked to see the full manuscrpt. We are just waiting for them to get back to us with their answer.

rich said:
I could see writing partners in nonfiction, not fiction. I'm sure that it's been done. Someplace.

Last edited:

tarra74

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tarrayoung.com
LOL - it's funny you should say that. Lately people have been saying I don't eat enough. I eat about 875 calories a day, but I feel great and I'm full of energy. I've been losing weight, but it's weight I needed to lose and I don't miss it.

C.H. Campbell said:
15 hours a day? Don't forget to eat.

That's dedication.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
rich said:

It's called collaboration. Ann McCaffrey teamed with Jody Lynn Nye, Larry Niven with Jerry Pournell, Neil Gaiman with Terry Pratchett. It can be tremendous fun and some writers really like it as it means they need only write half a book!

Mentoring is a quite different thing. It's great when you can find someone, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This IS a cut above this guy on eBay who wanted someone to write his last chapter for him so he could get on the NYT bestseller list and do signings and all that other cool author stuff.

Oi vey. http://colonel-gabriel.livejournal.com/1411.html

-

Status
Not open for further replies.