The Soup Thread

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had this soup a couple of months ago when someone brought it to our Monday Lunch Club. I got the recipe and made it yesterday - to great acclaim from family. It's easy and really good.

Cabbage Roll Soup

1 lb of lean ground beef browned and drained of fat
I medium chopped onion
1 medium chopped celery rib
3 cloves of garlic minced (or garlic powder to taste)
1 package of cole slaw mix
3/4 cups of uncooked rice (not Instant Rice)
6 cups of water (plus extra)
powdered beef stock to taste (I used a couple of tablespoons plus a bit more)
pepper
Aprox 3 cups of tomato juice
1 can of tomato soup
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp of thyme
1/2 lb of cooked bacon (optional I didn't use this)

Add onions, celery and garlic to browned drained beef. Sautee til soft not brown (add garlic last because it does burn easily). Add the rest of the ingredients and cook til the rice is soft. Check for seasoning, you may need to add more juice/and or water and stock depending on how your personal taste and how thick it gets. Serve. Tastes even better the next day but I added a bit of water and stock because the rice soaked up more of the broth over night.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What with the rainy, dreary weather in my corner of the world and the onset of autumn just around the corner, I'm in stock-making mode. I made turkey stock last week; this morning I finished up a batch of chicken stock. I think beef will be next, or maybe even pork stock. After roasting the meat and vegetables, I throw everything in my crockpot with water and herbs and let it cook overnight, then strain through cheesecloth, pour the stock into quart containers and freeze.

When cold weather kicks in, one of my favorite soups is pozole, which I used to get from my local Mexican restaurant. I was broken-hearted when it closed, and I haven't found a pozole I like as much. Trying my hand at making my own may be next.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I made this one today - it's an amalgamation of a couple of recipes (and I didn't use exact measurements), but it turned out great.

Curried Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup

-1 med onion diced small
-1 and 1/2 Tbs of curry paste
-peeled, finely chopped ginger (about one inch)
-2 or so Tbs of oil

Saute the above til onions are soft, then add

-2 large sweet potatoes (6 - 8" big, peeled and diced small to make perhaps 5 or 6 cups)
-a handful of baby carrots chopped (perhaps 1 cup)
-1/2 a peeled and chopped apple

-3 cups (or more) chicken stock

Pour over veggies, just enough to almost cover. Simmer on low til everything is soft - about 30 minutes. Using an immersion blender puree til smooth. Then add and stir well,

-1 can of coconut milk with cream
-1 Tbs fish sauce
-chopped cilantro - about 3 Tbs

Serve and enjoy.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were speaking of soup over at the Gardening thread, which reminded me to share this recipe for okroshka, a cold cucumber soup from Russia.

Okroshka

1 boiled potato, cut into cubes
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3 cucumbers, seeds removed and cubed small
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced
500 gr (about 17 oz) yogurt or kefir
dill, coriander, parsley or chives, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
sparkling water to taste
salt to taste

Place the yogurt/kefir into a large serving bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and stire. Add sparkling water to thin to desired consistency. Serve chilled.

Personally, rather than put it in the soup, I prefer to have the potato warm on the side; I scoop some onto my spoon, dip it into the soup and enjoy the cool/warm combo. (I even used tater tots once!) My husband's Russian buddy swears that putting radishes in the soup is just wrong; I expect everyone's family has a variant on the recipe - which is okay, since it can handle a fair amount of improvisation.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
Ooh, love this thread! I can't wait to try making some of the recipes posted.

My contribution is a carrot-coconut soup, which initially didn't sound appealing to me but it's very delicious.

Carrot-Coconut Soup with Harissa and Crispy Leeks​

• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, 1 chopped, 1 thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
  • Harissa sauce (for serving; optional)

Step 1​

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, apple, onion, chopped leek, garlic, and ginger, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5–7 minutes. Add broth, coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, 20–25 minutes; let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.

Step 2​

Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced leek and cook, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt.

Step 3​

Serve soup topped with harissa and crispy leeks.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep finding new favorite threads. So many great recipes!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, love this thread! I can't wait to try making some of the recipes posted.

My contribution is a carrot-coconut soup, which initially didn't sound appealing to me but it's very delicious.

Carrot-Coconut Soup with Harissa and Crispy Leeks​

• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, 1 chopped, 1 thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled ginger
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
  • Harissa sauce (for serving; optional)

Step 1​

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, apple, onion, chopped leek, garlic, and ginger, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are beginning to soften, 5–7 minutes. Add broth, coconut milk, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, 20–25 minutes; let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.

Step 2​

Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced leek and cook, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt.

Step 3​

Serve soup topped with harissa and crispy leeks.
This sounds delicious!

Reactions: AstronautMikeDexter