Would a book which makes heavy use of typography be considered a graphic novel?

Loke1997

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an artist at heart and have been trying to use my graphic design to prop up my writing, inspired by novels like The Knife of Never Letting Go. I was just wondering if agents and publishers might be turned off by this? Like, would they think I wouldn't be up for making changes in my designs and books? I have a sample of the typography below; should I be marketing this as a graphic novel?

Example 1

Example 2

These are the most extreme examples in the novel. I only use the typography in fighting scenes to try and make it feel more energetic.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Based on the excerpts, I definitely wouldn't call it a graphic novel. It's more reminiscent of calligram poetry (you might call it calligram prose?), although poetry styles aren't my forte, so there may be one that more closely matches what you're going for here. (I'm sure somebody more knowledgable will chime in about that).

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the public is pretty clear in expecting a graphic novel to contain primarily pages containing images. So no, those would not be graphic novels.