Seeking Feedback about Mixed Race Native Character

S_Zegarra

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently in the planning stages of a novel where a lot of themes I'm focusing on are about race, politics, and women's rights, comparing the past to today.

This story would take place in the early 1800s, and my main character is a woman of mixed heritage, a white mother and Native American Father. I myself am mixed raced (however my heritage is Peruvian and White), and am approaching a lot of my understanding of the character from that lived experience, in addition with copious amounts of research on Native Culture, and current issues Native women face in our society today.

There are some specific tenants of the story I'd like feedback on though in order to make sure my portrayal is respectful, and accurate, as opposed to tone-deaf or stereotypical. Please feel free to give feedback on any of the plot points below, I'd especially like to hear from Native women themselves.

-A major plot point for this character is she grows up in white society, isolated from Native culture, but is not accepted by white society either. A common experience of mixed race individuals. The focus isn't on her "rediscovering" Native roots by any means, but struggling with finding genuine acceptance in the early 1800s. Are there certain things I should be weary of-especially when it comes to how other Native people react to those of mixed heritage in this time period?

-Another major point involves witches, and this character becoming a witch. This witchcraft is not at all based in Native religion-but comes from Celtic/Druidic backgrounds, and features a coven of women from multiple racial backgrounds. I do NOT want to fall into the mystical Native stereotype or make the witchcraft seem to be a bastardization of Native culture/religion, hence why I'm basing it on British beliefs, and it is introduced to the character via a British immigrant-not from other Native characters. This point especially I would appreciate feedback to make sure I write this in a fashion that is not insensitive or stereotypical.

-Any other thoughts on women of color in the early 1800s or Native American (Specifically Mohawk Tribe) notions I should keep in mind when moving forward.

Nightwraith17

Registered
Reaction score
I may not be the best qualified to answer this....but I am a U.S. history major, and from what I have studied, it really depended on the tribes. In my state, a Native tribe peaceably lived with and married Welsh explorers, creating a unique culture. They were known as the "Welsh Indians" and DeSoto even wrote about them on his explorations. Also related, there is the interesting legend of Madoc ab Owain Gwynedd. Maybe you can look up those two things as a start. I'd also continue to intensely study the Mohawk Tribe. A lot of times, that's the only way I can really find what I need. Learn how the Mohawk tribe related to settlers in their area.
It seems the Midwest/ Great Plains Native Americans were more hostile towards than the ones in the Deep South, but of course there were always exceptions. And most of this had to do with the settlers' attitudes towards the Natives.
As for the witchcraft, I think it could work and I like how you're combining different cultures in your story. If a British character is the one who first practices it and introduces it, I don't see how it could be offensive. But I am not Native American.
I have many Native American ancestors and relatives, and grew up familiar with the culture, but it came up ZERO percent in my DNA test...go figure...so this is all the help I can give you.
Good luck to you! I hope you get some more useful feedback than mine.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the planning stages of a novel where a lot of themes I'm focusing on are about race, politics, and women's rights, comparing the past to today.

This story would take place in the early 1800s, and my main character is a woman of mixed heritage, a white mother and Native American Father. I myself am mixed raced (however my heritage is Peruvian and White), and am approaching a lot of my understanding of the character from that lived experience, in addition with copious amounts of research on Native Culture, and current issues Native women face in our society today.

There are some specific tenants of the story I'd like feedback on though in order to make sure my portrayal is respectful, and accurate, as opposed to tone-deaf or stereotypical. Please feel free to give feedback on any of the plot points below, I'd especially like to hear from Native women themselves.

What do you want to hear from us? Honestly, my experience as a Zuni woman in 2017 is going to be about as different from a Mohawk woman in the early 1800s as your own.

-A major plot point for this character is she grows up in white society, isolated from Native culture, but is not accepted by white society either. A common experience of mixed race individuals. The focus isn't on her "rediscovering" Native roots by any means, but struggling with finding genuine acceptance in the early 1800s. Are there certain things I should be weary of-especially when it comes to how other Native people react to those of mixed heritage in this time period?

I don't think the mixed heritage itself is as likely to be a big deal as you think it is, but politics and nationality are. A common misconception is to view Native American issues solely through a racial lens and neglect the fact that Native tribes are sovereign nations. Native issues are as much about international politics as they are about race.

Although colonialism left us the legacy of blood quantum when it comes to determining tribal citizenship, culture and citizenship are still more important than blood. Adoption into tribes was not uncommon during that time period. See for example John Norton, born Scottish/Cherokee, who was adopted into the Mohawk tribe, or Frank Hamilton Cushing, who was white and adopted into the Zuni tribe.

If your character is raised in white culture, yes, she will always be an outsider in some ways, but considering the time period, other factors may be more important than "genuine acceptance". I'm not sure white society would have as much of a problem with her as you may think, either, as long as she conforms to Western cultural norms. America made an awful lot of attempts to "civilize" and integrate us that way, after all.

But there is so much going on in the early 1800s. What role does politics play in your story?

You have the War of 1812, in which the Mohawk participated, primarily on the side of the British. You have the "Indian Removal Act" and the US government beginning to push the "Five Civilized Tribes" from the east, resulting in the Trail of Tears and other atrocities. That is the greater context of your story. Active genocide in the wake of mass displacement of sovereign nations. And it's important to remember that and keep it in focus.

Keep in mind that you are writing apocalyptic literature.

-Another major point involves witches, and this character becoming a witch. This witchcraft is not at all based in Native religion-but comes from Celtic/Druidic backgrounds, and features a coven of women from multiple racial backgrounds. I do NOT want to fall into the mystical Native stereotype or make the witchcraft seem to be a bastardization of Native culture/religion, hence why I'm basing it on British beliefs, and it is introduced to the character via a British immigrant-not from other Native characters. This point especially I would appreciate feedback to make sure I write this in a fashion that is not insensitive or stereotypical.

While I appreciate the intention to avoid cultural appropriation by basing it in non-Native traditions (particularly because the character grew up in Western culture anyway), I think it would be a jarring omission to avoid mention of Native witchcrafts at all, particularly considering that would be a rather major struggle for her in terms of acceptance with other Mohawk.

-Any other thoughts on women of color in the early 1800s or Native American (Specifically Mohawk Tribe) notions I should keep in mind when moving forward.

Ask yourself how much you really want to do this.

Last edited:

S_Zegarra

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm glad you brought up politics, since that is a huge role in my story. I specifically why I chose this time period because so much genocide was going on, and it was going on with a White American mindset that it would "improve" the country. I think the time period, and Andrew Jackson's genocidal actions as president have a lot of parrels with the modern day climate.

Also when I ask for feedback, I mean about avoiding the stereotypical portrayal of Native women in media. I've done my own research (and am continuing even more research) of the harmful tropes, such as mystical native, or the over-sexualized one, and recognize these play into the struggles facing these groups today such as the rampant abduction and sexual assault. However if there are more nuanced or less recognized tropes I should keep in mind or other less talked about issues Native women face today, I would really enjoy the resources to learn more about them so I can craft my plot in the most respectful and aware way possible.

When you say it would be an omission of Native witchcraft, what would your suggestions be? Do you think it's an important factor to mention as I craft the tenants of the plot?

Last edited: