Deer Advice

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I have a relatively large fenced in back yard that abuts a wooded, swampy area. This morning, to the horror of my Great Dane, there was a fawn and a Mamma on the wrong side of my fence. I snuck out there and opened all the gates, hoping for a relatively quick resolution. (We've lived here for over three years and this has never happened before.)

Mamma got out, but the fawn is still inside. He/she has walked along the back side of the fence but can't seem to find the gates. (There are three.) Now the fawn is grazing blissfully as my Dane steams inside watching. I have seen Mamma once, watching from the trees on the other side.

I know this is a silly question, but is there any way to encourage the fawn to leave without stressing it out? Will Mamma come collect it later on?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This used to happen at my kids' school. The custodian would open 2 gates in chain link fence and eventually the deer figured it out, but they kept the kids off the field at recess. Maybe when it's dusk and they feel safer they'll go?

Man, my dogs would be apoplectic. I hope it all works out. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know how high the fence is but deer can jump over fairly high fences. If the fawn is very young, and your gates were never open, it's possible the mother came over the fence to give birth. If they just came through the gate, mother deer leave their fawns stashed while the mother is off feeding. The fawn won't join the herd until it is old enough to run with them.

If outside the fence is probably as safe as inside, (meaning the fawn can nestle down in the brush and be fairly hidden), then take two or three people with blankets or big pieces of cardboard, hold them out making a temporary 3-sided corral and slowly walk the fawn toward an open gate. The mother will find it.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
ElaineA: Yes, I'm hoping that this will all get sorted out at dusk or in the darkness. I'm glad to hear opening the gate worked at your kid's school.

MaeZe: The fawn is pretty old. I'd guess a few months at least, although I'm no expert. He/she doesn't seem that bothered by the situation unless my Dane breaks lose from my control and starts barking at the window. Then fawn retreats to some bushes and high grass in the very corner of our lot.

The fence is a six foot fence. I still can't figure out how they got in unless they jumped. If that's true, then why not jump back out to be with Mamma.

My children have named it "Deer Prudence." (We are all big Beatles fans.)

I'll keep you updated.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Deer Prudence. :tongue

Unfortunately a lot of the Net sources for how high a deer can jump are hunting sites, but ignoring that, this is an interesting page. The deer are possibly going over or under your fence.

You still might want to herd the fawn out of the gate, see if it doesn't stay out after that.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The fawn is perfectly content to graze alone, while Mama watches from the trees? She's using your lawn as a safe place to wean the kid! Or at least, to dump him while she goes shopping with her friends! It sounds like the deer equivalent of sending your kid to play in someone else's yard so they stop pestering you.
I hope the fawn does wander off at dusk, and that the other does don't get your address.
As soon as the fawn frolics off, send the Great Dane out, not to scare the deer, but to spread lots of dog-scent so she will think twice about leaving the kid there again. (Try to encourage him to pee on/near the gates.) And, if he scents the deer in the night, let him bark! Up here, as a general rule, if you can get deer in your yard, you can get bears. Bark, Big Boy, Bark!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
2ixkl
2ixkl
k5vxNtw.jpg

One of my neighbors snapped this picture this morning.

I'm not sure if Deer Prudence is in this picture, but she/he seems to be gone today. Thank God!

Frimble3: I think you might be right about Mama Deer using my yard as fawn care.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
They may be a furry, flower-eating nuisance, but aren't they a graceful, amazing sight! You're so lucky to be able to see so many. Unless yesterday's doe tells all her friends about this great place she's found...
"Girls, it's wonderful! It's safe, secluded, the grass is green and the security is top-notch - people watching over the fawns all day long!"

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Laura, if you don't write a story with a "Fawn Care service run by Deer Prudence" subplot I'll be really disappointed. :ROFL:

Last edited:

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
They may be a furry, flower-eating nuisance, but aren't they a graceful, amazing sight! You're so lucky to be able to see so many. Unless yesterday's doe tells all her friends about this great place she's found...
"Girls, it's wonderful! It's safe, secluded, the grass is green and the security is top-notch - people watching over the fawns all day long!"

And tick bearing.