Do I Need A Social Media Presence Right Now?

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

A University I don't attend chose a short piece of prose of mine to be published in their yearly anthology; they've asked for a short bio.

I don't have a website or professional social media presence, but I've heard other, experienced writers say that these are great opportunities to hawk your website or social media presence and earn more fans or followers.

However, since this would only be my third minor credit (Honorable Mention) of small, published work in literary magazines/anthologies online, and not a book announcement, I'm not sure whether I should or need to develop a social media account now, and list it in my bio (for the University's anthology). I kind of thought that I should wait until I earn more writing credits in more publications and when/if I have a future book release to announce.

So, what should I do? Should I start a social media account, now, or wait until I have more bio credits?

I don't have much to announce on a social media account, right now; I've only just started writing for a little over a year-and-a-half, and I didn't attend college: so, I don't have as much experience as writers who've earned degrees, which I'm a little intimidated about.

I'm kind of worried that having a Twitter account and publicly announcing my few, small credits might be a little premature, in case writing doesn't work out in my future or I'm forced to enter a different, professional career/field. Plus, I've seen, and heard of instances, where fans/people get offended by what a writer or professional says on their social media, so I'm a little afraid that someone might be offended, say, if they're different from me, politically (not that I would write political comments, but that a person or future employer might read my writing publications about low-income or LGBT+ people and read how I'm a second-generation American, then assume or judge me as belonging to a certain political party or feel angry that my family are immigrants (even though they are legal), due to the current political climate about illegal immigrants, then might complain about these things, publicly, or refuse to hire me).

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
You don't use Twitter to announce your credits (outside of the little bio you write for people to see when they click on your name). Twitter is more like the corner bar. You hear an interesting conversation, you make a comment related to the conversation, hopefully someone comments back and voila, you're swept up into the conversation. If no one responds, find another conversation.

Nothing annoys people on Twitter more than simply using it as a place to hawk one's wares. Keeping with the bar analogy - it would be like the obnoxious guy standing up on a table and either trying to sell stuff or pontificating about the local candidates. Either way, everyone starts edging away from the guy and hoping he'll get bored and go away so they can get back to their conversations.

Now, also, like at a bar, you can occasionaly slip in to the conversation that you write (whatever your genre is) and that you have a book/story/article coming out soon. If they're interested, they'll ask. If they're not, they'll say, "That's nice, so how about those (sports team name)" and continue with the main conversation. After a while, once they've decided you're not the crazy person on the table, they'll be more interested in hearing about your books, because you're part of the gang now.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Richard's spot on about Twitter. You want to use it to build connections with potential readers and make friends, not just hawk your wares. I only recently sold my first piece, and I had a few thousand people to announce it to. Some of them were happy for me, some didn't care, some didn't notice because Twitter is a speedy place. And when I do have a book, a similar group will be excited, not care, or not notice. The fact is, I've already got them for when that moment comes, so I'm not just yelling into a void.

Also, re this:
I've only just started writing for a little over a year-and-a-half, and I didn't attend college: so, I don't have as much experience as writers who've earned degrees, which I'm a little intimidated about.

Seriously, don't worry about it. For one, most of us don't have creative writing degrees. Writers are teachers, engineers, IT desk jockeys, entrepreneurs, any job with any degree you can imagine. Writers with CW degrees and two decades of writing can have a harder time selling pieces than a guy who just sat down and wrote his first piece. It's not about the writer, it's about the piece. You're selling stuff. That's fantastic! You have nothing to be intimidated by, because you're running with those degree-holders and lifelong writers. The publishing world isn't a race, it's a marathon. The only competition to you is yourself and the writer you were yesterday. :)

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about social media at this point. As for a website, it depends on what you are using it for. If you are using it as a landing page for your work or as an author page, it's not bad to have one, but it's also not particularly important since you sound like you are still a relatively minor presence in the writing world. If you are using it as a blog, however, this is different. You can invest in the future by putting out new content periodically and may be able to draw in a few dedicated readers who, if you are planning on writing a book or submitting to more contests/anthologies, you can redirect to check out your work.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I also wasn't sure about whether I needed to set up some type of social media account because I have started to query picture book manuscripts and because some literary agents mentioned on their blogs or during interviews that they're a little annoyed or frustrated at the idea of having to track down a querying writer's previously published work all over the internet, due to the writer not having a website where they're all listed there, in one place.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
You don't use Twitter to announce your credits (outside of the little bio you write for people to see when they click on your name). Twitter is more like the corner bar. You hear an interesting conversation, you make a comment related to the conversation, hopefully someone comments back and voila, you're swept up into the conversation. If no one responds, find another conversation.

Nothing annoys people on Twitter more than simply using it as a place to hawk one's wares. Keeping with the bar analogy - it would be like the obnoxious guy standing up on a table and either trying to sell stuff or pontificating about the local candidates. Either way, everyone starts edging away from the guy and hoping he'll get bored and go away so they can get back to their conversations.

Now, also, like at a bar, you can occasionaly slip in to the conversation that you write (whatever your genre is) and that you have a book/story/article coming out soon. If they're interested, they'll ask. If they're not, they'll say, "That's nice, so how about those (sports team name)" and continue with the main conversation. After a while, once they've decided you're not the crazy person on the table, they'll be more interested in hearing about your books, because you're part of the gang now.

This is possibly one of the best descriptions of Twitter usage for a writer that I've ever read. Well said.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Blogs never hurt. I'm in the process of redoing mine, actually as I get ready for my book's release.

The thing to remember however is to update it regularly, otherwise it really loses any usefulness in getting the word out (people will stop paying attention to your blog QUICK unless you have a solid schedule).

fairybee

We just don't know.
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is: join whatever social media you think you can maintain, and just use it like a regular person. Social media is a garden. You have to give it some time before it gets that nice coating of moss and starts to look natural, and you have to take care of it regularly (this is where the metaphor breaks down; unfortunately, an unattended social media presence won't look charmingly overgrown, it'll just look dead). I am a heavy twitter user and I follow a lot of creative people on twitter. The people I follow are the ones that actually have interesting things to say, rather than just something to sell. It seems like a lot of newbie authors get convinced, somehow, that a twitter presence where they just aggressively follow people and advertise their work constantly. Sometimes they even use bots to do this. Most people (including myself) will instantly block aggressive-follow-advertisers.

Incidentally, don't worry about your status as a writer. Lots and lots and lots of people use social media, and it's sometimes how the yet-unnoticed find success.

Last edited:

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
If you are lucky enough to get picked up by an agent, what are the expectations as far as social presence? Does signing with a publisher typically include developing a social presence or is it better to already have one? If you already have one, will the publisher use and build upon what you already have or want to do something separate?

Kevin

AcaciaNeem

Registered
Reaction score
Social media presence takes time to grow, so it is best to start early and small. Agree with everything folks have said here about twitter, so I won't add more.

A blog about things that interest you is not a bad thing (try and make it niche and interesting to readers), and it will give you a place to list your credits without being shouty about it. Only do it if you're going to be consistent about it: dead blogs are not very impressive.

I started my social media accounts and blog about ten years ago, and now have decent followings on all of them-- more importantly, I have blog and social media friends who have been very supportive of my work, as I have been of theirs.

Do what you enjoy the most. If it is a chore, it won't work out all that well.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
A social media presence and a website are two different things. If you're serious about writing as a profession you likely will need both eventually, and it's better to start early, before you really need them. There's an art as well as technical side of both, and it takes time to come up to speed on them. It also takes time to build followers.

Your main sales tool is your work, not your site or FB etc. Neither sells much if anything. A site is useful only after you have more than one book published. Then is when readers want to know what else you've created. A site gives you total control of what you say about your work, including history and background and character info not found in your books.

It's important to START SMALL and STAY SMALL as you can. Take BABY STEPS to add to your site and social presence. Your main job is writing fiction, not writing posts on FB to TW or your site.

Last edited:

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
Where is the best place to begin? A simple FB page? Wordpress site? What's the biggest bang for the buck?

Kevin

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
The first step I'd recommend is buying the domain name you'd want to use for an eventual website now. Even if you don't use it right away, you'll have it when you need it. After that...it's up to you. A simple, professional looking website, with bio and contact information, can be a good place to start. After that, it's up to you--FB, blog, a more content-rich website--whatever you'll enjoy most, because you're far more likely to keep up with a social media presence you actually like.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
whatever you'll enjoy most, because you're far more likely to keep up with a social media presence you actually like.

Quite right. Your site & social participation has to be a natural part of your life as a professional, not just some clumsy on-again off-again activity. That's why it's good to START SMALL, and EXPERIMENT so that you find what works for YOU.

One aspect I failed to mention. You can set up a simple web site on FB that is totally free. You can do something similar on Goodreads. No need with either to deal with the complexities of a site on WP.com or WP.org.

Another option everyone should take. Sign up for an Author Page on Amazon. (B&N has something similar.) You can enter an author bio and a picture of yourself, and Amazon will automatically add an entry with a cover for each book as it becomes available. The cover is similar to what you see in my sig, though the sig image is a bit smaller to conform to AW policy. That way when a reader discovers one of your books they can easily find all the others. And buy them immediately without leaving Amazon (or B&N).

And last and not least, participation in AW can be a vital part of your "social media presence." See, novicewriter, you already have a presence!

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
This.

Get FirstnameLastname.com if you can. If it's taken, add "writer" or "author" to the beginning or end.

Ack...not only is FirstnameLastname.com take for me, but so is FirstnameLastnameAuthor. I'm very reluctantly considering a pen name, but I have no idea what it might be.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Ack...not only is FirstnameLastname.com take for me, but so is FirstnameLastnameAuthor. I'm very reluctantly considering a pen name, but I have no idea what it might be.

How about StoriesbyFirstnameLastname, or FirstnameLastnameWriting? Are variants such as FirstinitialLastname or FirstandMiddleInitialsLastname taken?

As for pen names, if you're only considering one to secure a domain name, that seems a little shaky for the effort. Pen names are as much about branding as anything else.

avekevin

Registered
Reaction score
FirstMiddleLast is available, which makes me feel better. FIMILast and FILast are both taken....

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FirstMiddleLast is available, which makes me feel better. FIMILast and FILast are both taken....

Sorry to hear it was a problem but glad you found something. I too ran into this issue. My solution was to add 'Iam' before my author name. :ROFL:

Fanni

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Marissa D and Laer Carroll – a social media presence is important, and after a learning and experimenting phase, you can absolutely turn it into an advantage. From my personal experience, one of the most important things is to post regularly. You can work well with an own website and a FB page, e.g. always announcing when you posted something new on your website.
Instagram is a bit different platform, but definitely has a great potential. If you can provide an interesting visual content, which rhymes and strengthens your written content, I think it could be useful.

Metruis

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.feedthemultiverse.com
Instagram is my favorite social media out of the options, but Instagram people don't LEAVE Instagram. Definitely not vital for a writer. A Facebook or Twitter is great for a writer because they're written platforms. That said, I found Instagram the easiest to get followers, I think it has a high reach potential... only its viewers do not follow outbound links very often compared to Facebook or Twitter, so it's a different experience. It's one I think someone who is exhausted by social media in its traditional forms may enjoy (visual communication is a change of pace).

Twitter is as said–people come there to chat. It has its uses for promotion, and there was a time where I would have said it was THE most important social media for someone like us–any kind of creative, really. I do not feel so strongly now, but as an author, if you're not on Twitter, you should grab yourself an account and start following other writers now. And then engage with them. Even if you log on once or twice a day and retweet a few things, comment at a couple of people, you will begin the legwork needed to actually use Twitter to promote later on.