An bhfuil aon duine anseo as Éirinn?

MarkSnow

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to familiarise myself with some boards and saw this one. Anybody from Ireland? I feel like it often finds itself in Britain's shadow (grr).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We have quite a few Irish members.

suziquaif

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I live in the UK but succumbed to the charm and married an Irish chap 4 years ago.

We went over to Ireland for our honeymoon for me to meet his family and I've been besotted ever since. Our dream retirement would be in Ireland - wonderful place for a quiet life writing while the husband does his singer/songwriter thing far from the madding crowd.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of cool, but I understood most of your headline. All those superfluous letters! I'm not Irish-Irish, I'm American-Irish. My Ancestors were from Cork, and came over on the boat escaping the blight. Lived in squalor in New York until the war (ww2), where they finally started to make some money. It is a sad story. My father's dad got crushed in an elevator accident, and lived but was bed ridden his whole life, and there were 20 people living in the apartment (the whole shebang). Would like to hear your take on all of this from the gealtacht pov.

suziquaif

Registered
Reaction score
As an outsider looking in my impression is that the Irish have a real sense of self, a generosity of spirit and an optimistic resilience to hardship. The thing that isn't obvious is overt sadness. There is a great sense of National pride and identity regardless of any geographical barrier. Every injustice ever showered on the Irish by the English is not forgotten, or forgiven, it becomes part of life held in memorium (like a beloved relative sitting in the corner of the living room). Every Levelled house still stands untouched and you cant make a house visit without being fed. My husbands grandfathers family is from Co Mayo where some of the hardest effects of the great hunger were felt. Yes, Ireland has for far too long been considered a poilitical bolt on to England, but the Irish will always be Irish first.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
Sea, is Éireannach mé. Bím i gconaí ag brabhsáil ar an suíomh seo.

As mentioned there are many Irish people here, however I don't usually use this section of the forum. Heck, I often don't even log in. The aul' teanga caught my attention though.

Welcome. We're a small country in the Anglo-sphere -- we'll surely be in all the English speakers shadow - don't worry about it! We always make ourselves known.:)

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dia dhuit!

Galway girl here! Ireland may be a small country, but it punches way above its weight when it comes to literature. Oscar Wilde, WB Yeats, Edna O'Brien, Roddy Doyle, etc.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Ireland in 1984. The public phones worked about 50% of the time. Huge apartments for a single parent; a nice fella made me & his son a boiled egg. Great place.

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Living here for 5 years now - recognise Gaelige to hear/see but don't speak or read it, I'm afraid. I was kind of hoping to pick some up when my youngest went into JI (the others were already in SI or higher when we arrived) but it didn't happen :-(

skillage

Registered
Reaction score
'Sea - as Luimneach! Táim an-nua anseo, though. Good to see some compatriots here, and a few Hibernophiles by the look of things