Who knows what they're going to write already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I was originally committed to my kaiju novel for NaNoWriMo 2017, but now I'm wavering; if you would be so kind, could you please head on over to my blog post and vote on what you'd like to see? I won't post the chapters online as I have in the past, of course, but if you're interested I could email chapters out to a select group of readers.

Do any of you fellow NaNoWriMoAWers know what you're going to write? If you're comfortable with it, share!

Last edited:

Yzjdriel

forgetful elephant
Registered
Reaction score
*votes*

I'm not sure what I'm doing for NaNoWriMo yet, but I've narrowed it down to a few options. We'll see what's still in my mind once Halloween rolls around.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't attempted NaNo in a few years. I'm on the fence about using it to get unstuck or to not bother with it and let me unstick when I'm inspired. I have half of one novel to finish, and two others I feel compelled to write. I just don't know yet if NaNo is the right tool to get them going. A lot will depend on my travel schedule for that month.

AshlynnHeart

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a soft sci-fi novel. It's about aliens coming to our planet but to repair its damages than to conquer it. I'm super excited to get to work on it starting late September!

Ancoelle

Registered
Reaction score
A sequel to my first book, where the characters explore new and unsavory parts of the world. :) Very excited--and scared for them, haha.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I know! I know!

Whatever's in my head. :D

Kidding. I'm currently planning to do the rewrite of my Camp novel from a couple years back. But I know me. Something else will come along.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m considering going with (another) thriller—Adult this time. It’s in the vein of MISERY, but with contemporary elements/drive/ ‘theme-ology’. I’ve been working on an outline for it over the last ‘little while’. My kinda outlines are incomprehensible to anyone other than myself. To an outsider it’s a garbled mess of staccato gibberish! The research on certain subject matter concerning the contemporary elements is turning out to be... a whole lot of research hours!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm down to two ideas. They are on pretty opposite ends of the idea-spectrum - one is super-fluffy and baking themed and the other is a thriller/mystery about cults.

Both are at least a little mapped out, so I'm not too worried. I'm ready to dash in either direction as needed, but the culty one is totally winning at the moment.

Mad Broom

Registered
Reaction score
I've known for months now.

The original idea came to me in December. It would be kind of a love story between a person (August) and somebody that only appears in his dreams (Heather).

Now, I developed all the main characters and real life parts. August is transgender (FTM) and after coming out to his family and it going horribly, he's still closeted. He lives with his mother and stepfather in a fictional city south of Phoenix. His father who is now accepting lives in Phoenix, but he can't see him.

He also has a group of friends. There's his best friend Joel who is also transgender but doesn't know it, Lola who is from Mexico and is kind of the leader of the group, and Maya who I have nothing for yet.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing my first true take on the post-apocalyptic genre. I wanted to do something that would subvert the expectations of that sort of book--no love triangles, revolutions, weird government systems or groups, special chosen ones, etc.

It's a fusion of Genesis and the origin story of the Buddha, titled The Dove. Frey Sorensen lives twenty years after the "Tar Bombs" destroyed all Earth's agriculture, in a seed vault built on the former site of Yellowstone National Park. She's trained to be the Dove her whole life--the resident who is sent out into the ruins of the American West to search for arable land. She assumes there's nothing her training can't handle.

What she doesn't expect is to be saddled with a partner, Mika Salisbury, whose parents betrayed the seed vault years ago. Mika is both more cynical and more devoted to justice than Frey, and is quick to see the new world as nothing but a brutal jungle where violence is law. What these two explorers will learn as they journey is that neither of them is quite correct about human nature.

The story is split into four chapters, each of which is named after one of the Sacred Sights that convinced Siddhartha that there was suffering in the world: the Sick Man, the Old Man, the Dead Man, and the Ascetic. Characters are named after important figures in Genesis. The villains are a group of well-dressed, well-mannered cannibals, teaming up with a psychopathic former anesthesiologist named Dr. Abe Malick. And it'll be set in real locations around the West, ending in Walla Walla where I currently live. I'm really excited!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a chorus contest in October, so I've put all writing things on hold to meet my commitments to them. I think this will be a rewriting year. Either last year's novel or my NaNo novel from 2007. But I have a back-up idea if I decide to go with a fresh novel. We'll see how I feel in the second half of October.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm thinking this year is a "finish your shit" year for me. In 2015 I did, like, three novels that were half to mostly done and a short story from scratch. One of those novels I decided needs a second POV, and I have four other NaNo WIPs that need finishing, so I think I'm going to get that POV added and work on at least one other of those WIPs. Not as fun as something new, but it's satisfying to write The End that many times in a month.

OliverCrown

Puttin' daydreams to paper
Registered
Reaction score
Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
Website
www.olivercrown.com
I've decided to do something different this year.

Here I have a tweet poll. And over here I have the basic breakdown. I'm letting my followers decide what I'm going to write this year from 8 possible stories.

Half are plot'd - half would be pants'd (most of my past ones have been the hybrid Planster variety) and I have a few different genres in the field. Originally I had about 15+ stories I've wanted to write for a while but life has basically put a strangle hold on me - especially writing wise - so I can't write the way I used to or would like to.

I could pick one of my NaNo ideas easily and I do have a favorite, but sometimes I feel it's fun/healthy/advantageous to be more interactive with my fellow readers and authors.

Also, this should be fun!

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to do something different this year.

Here I have a tweet poll. And over here I have the basic breakdown. I'm letting my followers decide what I'm going to write this year from 8 possible stories.

Half are plot'd - half would be pants'd (most of my past ones have been the hybrid Planster variety) and I have a few different genres in the field. Originally I had about 15+ stories I've wanted to write for a while but life has basically put a strangle hold on me - especially writing wise - so I can't write the way I used to or would like to.

I could pick one of my NaNo ideas easily and I do have a favorite, but sometimes I feel it's fun/healthy/advantageous to be more interactive with my fellow readers and authors.

Also, this should be fun!

Wow! This is a really cool idea! If you have so many options, what a fun way to get your readers and friends involved. :)

I also know what I'll be writing, and I'm putting together the before-writing world-building and some Pinterest mood boards to get myself ready come November 1. I have yet to win NaNo (or ever actually even finish the month still writing) which is largely due to outside factors but I have high hopes that this year, if I surround myself online with other writers also working towards the same goal, that I'll get to the end.

OliverCrown

Puttin' daydreams to paper
Registered
Reaction score
Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Wow! This is a really cool idea! If you have so many options, what a fun way to get your readers and friends involved. :)

Thanks! Now that I have my blurbs not-quite-ready for the March Madness style bracket I'm feeling better about the voting.

I also know what I'll be writing, and I'm putting together the before-writing world-building and some Pinterest mood boards to get myself ready come November 1. I have yet to win NaNo (or ever actually even finish the month still writing) which is largely due to outside factors but I have high hopes that this year, if I surround myself online with other writers also working towards the same goal, that I'll get to the end.

Hey, we're all here to support you! Also, reach out to fellow NaNo folks in your region for support. We all have your back and it's not so much about reaching the finish line as it is getting out there and running the race.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited:

achortleaday

Registered
Reaction score
Fellow NaNoers (especially past participants): I know the official way to do NaNo is to start on a new project and go for 50k, but do you think it's better to work on an already-started WIP, or start on something new? I am tempted by the idea that the excitement for NaNo could help get a second project drafted, but I also see the value in trying to finish the thing I already have .... what do you guys recommend?

too many ideas, not enough time!

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
If you're doing it for the first time, I'd suggest starting a new project. Most of the stuff - forum chatter, pep talks etc. is targeted at people starting a new project on November 1st, so if you're doing something else you'll likely feel somewhat isolated. Also, if you've been working on your current project for a long time you'll be less willing to take story risks in pursuit of wordcount and when things get tough in the second or third week, you're much more likely to decide getting the story right is more important than winning and drop out of the event.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, for the best experience the first time, I agree that it should be a fresh project. A lot of the excitement building up to day 1 is the anticipation of working on that novel, and that anticipation is killed by already working on it. I have done it both ways (and hybrid--working on something that had only been begun months and months before NaNo, so it felt new), and it definitely wasn't as exciting going into NaNo with a project I had been working on. OTOH, I wasn't sorry to finish that novel the year I went in already writing, so it's not like there's no value in doing that. I just feel that for the true NaNo experience, your first time should be with something fresh that you're plotting (or not) in October.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Same thing I'm always writing: my novel. ;)

Going to do it for the first time in four years, though I've done the camp every year and sometimes twice. Working on my space opera epic, which I've finally been able to work through other projects and get to. Keeping a steady pace, but I have no doubt by November there will be 60k words left to write.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I'm putting together the before-writing world-building and some Pinterest mood boards to get myself ready come November 1. I have yet to win NaNo (or ever actually even finish the month still writing) which is largely due to outside factors but I have high hopes that this year, if I surround myself online with other writers also working towards the same goal, that I'll get to the end.

I didn't manage to win NaNo-either. And I have my doubts I even can but I might give it a shot this year. I have something I've started a few pages of.. I want to see where I can take it.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've done NaNo once and "won," but it was like pulling teeth (I'm an edit-as-I-go writer and fight the whole idea of just spewing words). I prefer CampNano, with its looser rules and cabin camaraderie.

Having said that, I really need a kick in the pants on my current WIP, which is the fifth and final book in my series. NaNo may be just the kick in the pants I need.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I changed my plan for my project at least three times last month, but I think I'm settled on one now (a sequel to one I wrote last year). I'm going to start prepping this month,so I should be good to go in November.

technoglobe

Registered
Reaction score
I think I know, but there's a chance I might change it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Near-future sci-fi / dystopia. I'll be pantsing, but the idea is pretty firm in my mind. I have the worldbuilding, plot and major characters mostly figured out already. It'll be a fresh story, not one I've worked on before.

If I wind up finishing that draft early-ish in the month (which is possible), then I'll either edit it right away with the intention of self-publishing in December, or else I'll work on some other ideas in draft form - 2 nonfiction books on music, 1 nonfiction book on my experiences at university, and 1 novel that is about 2/3 written already. Well, those will be the things I can choose from - I kind of doubt I'd finish them all in a single month! (Though it is actually possible, given that I'm a fast writer and am currently unemployed...)

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Probably doing a sequel. I've already started Snowflaking which is bringing up some interesting questions about character motivation. Not that I understand my own motivations, haha. I haven't done NaNo in years and kinda thought I was done with it for good.

Is there an AW thread on the NaNo Forums yet? I poked around and couldn't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.