Looking for Resources...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently looking over Brandon Sander's lectures on Writing. They're very helpful and enlightening. I'd love to get some writing resource recommendations. In particular, resources that offer valid information on active and passive voice (including how to write in active, and avoid passive). I'm open to any median type (podcast, book, online, etc.) as long as the information is 100% accurate.

If you know of another helpful writing resource that touches on an other writing topic, please let me know!

Anything helps.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the Basic Writing Questions sub-forum on AW. There are plenty of threads and stickies filled with resources and links.

forsusan

Registered
Reaction score
It was suggested that I post this here. Has anyone found any good internet sources for publishing, editing, etc.? I have found what I think are some good sources, such as Jane Friedman, a round table discussion on youtube by Full Sail University, writings by Joanna Penn, called the creative Penn, and youtube posts by Vivien Reis. Any other recommendation?

discodowney

Registered
Reaction score
On Writing by Stephen King is amazing. Its very casual, and a lot of it is about his life with regards to writing, but its an excellent read.

LARRYD

Your Tiki Tour Guide
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.larrydarter.com
It was suggested that I post this here. Has anyone found any good internet sources for publishing, editing, etc.? I have found what I think are some good sources, such as Jane Friedman, a round table discussion on youtube by Full Sail University, writings by Joanna Penn, called the creative Penn, and youtube posts by Vivien Reis. Any other recommendation?

Joanna Penn also has a great Podcast that always has lots of good information. It's one of my favorites because the advice she gives is always realistic and actionable.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
my problem with podcasts, Strunk, etc. is you get a single viewpoint.

Everyone learns differently but I actually find this site and places like it the best way to learn. Ask 1 question, you'll get a dozen answers. Then YOU have to sort through them looking for common threads, determine who makes the most compelling arguments, etc. Because YOU m have to do the legwork in sorting things, YOU learn. Again, for me at least, you learn more.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
+1 to quicklime--this site is awesome and I've learned a ton. A blog from an editor I can recommend is:

http://theeditorsblog.net/

Tons of subjects covered, fairly and openly, and IMHO, inspiringly! Hope you like it. There's a search engine for more specific topics, and she answers questions on older posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.