Overworrying?

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Here's something I just posted to my blog and I'm posting here as well:

A number of years ago I wrote a short story, “Coyote Goes to College”. It was about a generic version of the Coyote trickster who populates the lore of some Native American tribes. I think it’s a good story and pretty funny, but should I publish it? I don’t know. Coyote isn’t a character that I invented, and comes from a culture that I don’t identify with. It’s an #OwnVoices thing. Input would be appreciated.
Another worry I have is about my novel-in-progress, Padma. The main character differs from me in many ways, but mostly she comes from a racial/cultural background — specifically, she is biracial (half white and half Indian) from India, though she was born in the US and came back at the age of 11, and has little knowledge or experience with her native culture; little enough so that when supernatural entities from Indian mythology show up, she doesn’t recognize them. Is this another #OwnVoices concern?

I figure the Coyote story is pretty much a done deal, but the second one puzzle me greatly. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression that you're not from at least one of the cultures your stories are about.

Are you sure you want to use the #OwnVoices tag? Might be an idea to look into the actual definition of the term before tagging a story as such, if you haven't already. OTOH, if you're of one of those cultures, but still don't identify with it, then, is #OwnVoices applicable?

From your post:

comes from a culture that I don't identify with.

differs from me in many ways, but mostly... she biracial from India

Last edited:

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I definitely misused the tag, then. I didn't mean to imply that I was claiming ownership of the cultures/voices that I hope to represent. I probably should not have included it.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
This thread (this forum) may provide you with more insight into the issues: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?322814-Own-Voices

Also, hanging around in this sub-forum is a good place to be when writing about cultures not your own; there are viewpoints that you wouldn't necessarily get from research alone.

OTOH, if you're of neither culture, I highly recommend not using the tag. IMO, #OwnVoices stories are really for those of the culture to tell.

However, respectfully representing such cultures in your stories is fine from my viewpoint. Due diligence and all that.

Last edited: