Australian Marriage Equality Vote Thread 2017

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It's a contest between Abbott and Latham for 'former opposition leader best demonstrating the tragic long term neurological effects of being belted about the head a lot', isn't it?

Everything is f'ing tragic.

And Katter weighed on Macklemore. He can stfu too.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Australia's fragile coalition government being torn apart by differences over a Macklemore song is a pretty 2017 thing to happen, you must admit.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
FWIW, "Same Love" is now back at the top of Australia's iTunes charts (for the first time since 2013, I think). :) It could just be people's curiosity, but I like to think it's a pointed up-yours to Abbott and co.

And my personal takeaway from all this is I've learned I've been pronouncing "Macklemore" wrong all this time. Huh.

(PS Did you hear that Abbott suggested sending in the Army to secure gas supplies in states that don't want fracking?)

OMG. Don't get me started on the manufactured "averted gas crisis" and the fracking thing. I've never met a single person in Victoria who isn't thrilled by Dan Andrews' stance on this. They may disagree with him over assisted dying or the firefighters or whatever, but everyone seems pretty united on the fracking front.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
No one has been religiously infringed by U.S. Federal approval of same-sex marriage.

* You can still say "not in this church."
* Clergy can still say "I prefer not to."
* Marriage as a legal thing is a matter of a license, witnesses, and signatures, one of which must be from someone licensed to perform marriages.
* Even if you are married in a cathedral by the Pope, you still need to have a marriage license, witnesses, licensed clergy, and signatures.

I wrote a thing about this.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What the shit does that pugilistic, batter-brained moron think the army would do, anyway? Roll into the Pilliga and drill, baby, drill? Force farmers off their lands at gunpoint? Has his mind slipped so much he thinks this is 2003 and we're back in Iraq?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com

It's a great post. I wish the people who really need to read it would read it. Sadly, point-by-point logic does not seem to get through to some people. See Abbott, Tony.

What the shit does that pugilistic, batter-brained moron think the army would do, anyway? Roll into the Pilliga and drill, baby, drill? Force farmers off their lands at gunpoint? Has his mind slipped so much he thinks this is 2003 and we're back in Iraq?

I always thought Abbott would've been better suited to the army. It's where he really wants to be, with the assumed blokiness (how do you spell that?? Blokeiness?) and 'patriotism' and head-kicking and macho image.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Remember when I said that Australia would find a way to make SSM a net loss of rights for LGBT Australians? Certain Government senators are hard at work trying to make that happen. Knowing they've probably lost the vote, the losing side is now demanding THEY get to draft any changes to the marriage laws. Because that's how democracy works, apparently.

SMH
The Paterson plan would allow any person or business to refuse to co-operate with the staging of a same-sex wedding, protecting them from civil litigation under anti-discrimination laws.

It would override existing state and territory anti-discrimination laws, stating plainly that when the two come into conflict, the federal law would prevail.

And it goes further than just protecting beliefs about the nature of marriage, establishing what Senator Paterson calls a "relevant belief" about homosexuality itself.
The law extends as far as theoretically allowing taxi drivers to reject fares, if they think they may be in some way related to a gay wedding. I'm still not convinced there's an enormous contingent of deeply fundamentalist cake makers out there that need special class protection, but maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ugh, don't get me started on this. I'll rant.

BUT I'm very much at the "let's not count our chickens" stage. I honestly don't want to think about what happens after the Yes vote gets up until after the Yes vote actually gets up. I learnt my lesson last November.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Just going through Twitter and the only tweeter I've found (so far) who's in favour of Paterson's vile bill describes himself as 'a Bible Believer & English crusader'. Mind you, I do have a lot of Nazis blocked, so there could be more.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. This is it. About an hour until we know whether Australia will enter the 21st century willingly or not. I feel ... optimistic.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I feel sick to my stomach right now.

I'm delaying seeing my next patient to hear the result.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
A majority vote in every state and in every age group.

Now let's see what the pollies do about it. We're watching you, Canberra.

State and territory yes responses:

ACT 74%
Vic 64.9%
WA 63.7%
Tas 63.6%
SA 62.5%
QLD 60.7%
NT 60.6%
NSW 57.8%

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was secretly hoping for 98.8% (because every country needs its ineffectual eccentrics) but still - if the LGBT+ crowd are partying, I'm partying right along with them :)

Onya Australia! 'bout bloody time!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Good country. Now please don't botch the landing.

The seat breakdown in NSW is looking to be ... interesting. Parkes and New England voted yes, but a whole lot of Labor heartland Western Sydney seats voted no.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
It only took three months of vicious hate campaigning and $122m wasted taxpayer dollars to give us exactly the same fucking results that every single bloody poll has ever has given us.