Good Article by Sarah Nicole Lemon

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, that was indeed a good article, which I wouldn't have seen without the heads-up. Thanks!

Maryn, trying to do stuff right

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Gets into a lot of stuff I've heard myself say/have thought and was barely able to stifle, good personal growth moment to read it.

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
Really excellent read. Thank you for sharing.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Gets into a lot of stuff I've heard myself say/have thought and was barely able to stifle, good personal growth moment to read it.

It really is, Kjbartolotta, and thank you for the link. The article provides a good primer for points to consider for anyone who wants to write diversity—it's a jumping off place for deep, introspective thought.

We've had so many questions and concerns of late relating to one of those points, I'ma quote it here:

“I want to write diversity, but I’m afraid of getting into trouble for it!”

People of color do not need us to write diversity. Say it with me: PEOPLE OF COLOR DO NOT NEED US TO WRITE THEIR STORIES. We can sit down.

But I get it. We can’t write books full of only white people, that’s not the world in which we live. So, what’s a white writer to do?

We write the places we intersect, the places where we’re uncomfortable to go in our whiteness. We get a shit-ton of sensitivity reads, and we listen to those sensitivity reads.

Those places of intersection are rich veins for the white writer to mine. Above all, we listen and when we get it wrong—and we will get it wrong—we apologize, we listen more attentively, and we work harder to get it right.

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
I solid article! Censorship and first amendment clarity is always a good refresher. Also, as a writer of color it is always nice to hear someone who is not a POC saying something that POCs have been saying for years.

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
It really is, Kjbartolotta, and thank you for the link. The article provides a good primer for points to consider for anyone who wants to write diversity—it's a jumping off place for deep, introspective thought.

We've had so many questions and concerns of late relating to one of those points, I'ma quote it here:

Those places of intersection are rich veins for the white writer to mine. Above all, we listen and when we get it wrong—and we will get it wrong—we apologize, we listen more attentively, and we work harder to get it right.
Maybe it is not yours to tell and that's why you are and will continue to get it wrong. I don't mean any disrespect with what ai am posting. This quote reminds me of a town hall meet that happened in my home town. In short, a rich family is throwing their money at a part of the city to gentrify and "revitalize". A majority of the people from the city don't want them doing this. A person asked the reps of this rich family what they would do if the whole city wanted them to leave. They said almost the same thing you did "we would work harder, listen more etc." In other words they were going to do what they wanted to do didn't matter what the people who lived their wanted because the whole point seemed that the people who lived their needed to leave.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score

Maybe it is not yours to tell and that's why you are and will continue to get it wrong. I don't mean any disrespect with what ai am posting. This quote reminds me of a town hall meet that happened in my home town. In short, a rich family is throwing their money at a part of the city to gentrify and "revitalize". A majority of the people from the city don't want them doing this. A person asked the reps of this rich family what they would do if the whole city wanted them to leave. They said almost "we would work harder, listen more etc." In other words they were going to do what they wanted to do didn't matter what the people who lived their wanted because the whole point seemed that the people who lived their needed to leave.

Okay, then, if listening attentively and working harder to get it right is not the answer to writing diversity and writing about those cultures to which one does not belong, what would be your recommendation for getting it right?

Last edited:

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
I am saying that sometimes it's not your story. Not saying this is the case everytime but sometimes it could be. Especially if you are trying and making no in-roads.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I am saying that sometimes it's not your story. Not saying this is the case everytime but sometimes it could be. Especially if you are trying and making no in-roads.
Makes sense and is spot-on wrt the subject and the article. Thank you for clarifying, James.

Last edited: