I Don't Know What I Don't Know

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'm considering a story that will involve both modern and Gilded/Victorian times. Very early stages, really; just trying to see if the concept has legs or not.

One of the historical characters is going to be what amounts to a remittance man, so I need a reason for him to be sent away. I have in mind a forbidden relationship between him and a lady, possibly a relative. What such relationships would have resulted in him being sent off like that? I'm pretty sure the families involved are high society types.

I've skimmed the era resources sticky.

Pardon any terseness or lack of clarity. Posting via mobile.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
You just need a reason for the relationship to ruin the lady's happiness (as conceptualized at the time) to make a delicious romantic tragedy. Is her other suitor more wealthy? Is the blood relationship too close or touched by scandal (e.g. madness in his blood)?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the lady's family have hopes/expectations of her marrying someone richer or of higher standing, a connection with some other less eligible suitor (whether or not he's a relative) would be extremely undesirable. Her family would likely lean on his to get him out of the way and leave the field clear for their preferred candidate.

If you want a truly forbidden relationship, Victorians liked cousin marriages, even first cousins, so that won't do. Uncle/niece marriages were known, though not well-approved. If one or the other were a bastard, people might wonder & gossip might be harsh, but there's nothing truly forbidden about it, just a little scandalous. Similarly, if one or the other brings a lot more money to the match, it would make tongues wag, but it doesn't actually break the rules, just stretch them a little.

The one truly forbidden relationship that would bar a marriage was incest between siblings. The case where siblings separated as young children came together unknowingly as adults and discovered the shocking truth too late -- too late! -- was common in folksong, a staple of popular tragedy, and it actually happened enough to be plausible & scary. Equally horrifying was the Forbidden Love between step-siblings, esp. those whose parents married later & did not raise them together.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The cousin thing was the first thought I had, so that's good information. Thanks.

I know at least one of the families has money because they're going to send him away as a remittance man (go away; we'll send you money occasionally). I'm not necessarily tied to the idea of a forbidden romance, but it seemed like the best reason to send him away. I'm open to other suggestions for indiscretions.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Another common scenario: he was wastrel, or unlucky at cards, or made a series of bad investments, or etc. and blew through a big chunk of money (his own, or a prospective inheritance, or funds that the family felt obliged to pay out to keep things quiet). They send him abroad to keep him from repeating the same things that got him into trouble the first time -- break the bad habits, distance the bad companions, remove the temptation, give him a chance to set himself right in a new place.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Most of the reasons one might be sent off would likely be applicable to many historical periods. Do you want the thing that causes his exile to be specifically bad in this era? There are other options like an opium addiction, a gay relationship, a relationship with a woman of ill-repute (more than a night with a prostitute), sexually predating the servants. How bad do you want to make him?

The other question would be whether the problem that gets him sent away resurfaces later. If it's simply an inciting incident, it could be anything, but if it impacts the story downstream, you'd need to consider the options more carefully.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I want him redeemable at the end of his story. The gambling benbenberi mentioned might work, along with a series of poorly chosen romantic partners.

More seasoning for the soup. Time to let it simmer a bit.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Fathering a child with a servant? Cheating at cards? Offering violence to his father while drunk?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Another common scenario: he was wastrel, or unlucky at cards, or made a series of bad investments, or etc. and blew through a big chunk of money (his own, or a prospective inheritance, or funds that the family felt obliged to pay out to keep things quiet). They send him abroad to keep him from repeating the same things that got him into trouble the first time -- break the bad habits, distance the bad companions, remove the temptation, give him a chance to set himself right in a new place.
They also sent him abroad to get him out of the public eye, and stop him embarrassing the 'respectable' family members. A man can find bad companions, and temptations, anywhere. His absence, however, gives the family a chance to gloss over his behavior.
"Teddy's doing rather well out in America." = "At last report, he hadn't been hanged."

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Becoming the black sheep of a high class family wouldn't be extremely hard to manage. Falling in love with a lower class/foreign woman and refusing to give her up; insisting on working with your hands for a living; offending the swinish politician who can award your corrupt father a massive business contract and refusing to apologize; taking the blame for a family scandal to protect your naïve but much-loved younger brother (who drank, gambled, and accidently killed someone).... There are many possibilities.