Capitalising titles?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a space opera set in a monarchy, and I'm wondering whether to capitalise a certain title. Namely, "knight".

No, they don't have energy swords or telekinesis, but they do have supernatural powers.

I figure I should capitalise it when referring to the order itself (full name: Royal Knights), but what about individuals?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not with individuals, unless, as you note, it is being used as part of a formal name:

Sir Algernon was a knight.

Sir Algernon belonged to the Knights Templar.

caw

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Not with individuals, unless, as you note, it is being used as part of a formal name:

Sir Algernon was a knight.

Sir Algernon belonged to the Knights Templar.

caw

How about if someone is referred to as Knight Algernon?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Two possibilities:

Formal title: Along the path rode Knight Algernon.

Informal: Along the path rode the knight Algernon.

However, I don't recall ever coming across the usage of "Knight" in this fashion. Knights are generally referred to as "Sir ".

caw

emlm21

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with blacbird. You capitalize knight if it's formal/apart of someone's name, though "sir" is more commonly used. On that note, you'd also capitalize "Sir" if it's apart of the name - Sir Bob

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
I've been grappling with this question. GrammarBook says these capitalizations are correct:

Will you take my temperature, Doctor?
We're sorry to report, Captain, that we're headed for choppy waters.

... because they're formal titles used in direct address. If that's right, then Merethe Walther's example:

Ah, princess, you’re looking lovely today.

... would be incorrect, right? Surely "Princess" is at least as formal a title as "Doctor" or "Captain."

I have a character in my fantasy novel who is Historian Rhou, but I received feedback on the following:

Thank you, Historian.

... that the title "Historian" shouldn't be capitalized.

Huh? Whazzat? Oh, my pounding head!

Can anyone give a definitive answer on this? In the final stages of revision, I really want to get this stuff right before showing it to others.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
The thing with Fantasy, llawrence, is that it will use names and forms of address that aren't as closely tied to standard usage that people say you 'must' *cough* adhere to. I mean, it's always author/editor/publisher house diecretion with any genre, and it will be guided by whatever standard form you agree to, but with fantasy in particular, if you need that title capitalised with direct address, then it's your choice as the author to capitalise it, as fantasy will work with new ranks, new standard rules etc, a lot like sci-fi. You just need to be able to explain to any editor why you'd like to retain the capital. But until you get it seen by an editor, too, I'd just be consistant with which ever way you choose to use it within direct address.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been grappling with this question. GrammarBook says these capitalizations are correct:

... because they're formal titles used in direct address. If that's right, then Merethe Walther's example:

... would be incorrect, right? Surely "Princess" is at least as formal a title as "Doctor" or "Captain."

I have a character in my fantasy novel who is Historian Rhou, but I received feedback on the following:

... that the title "Historian" shouldn't be capitalized.

Huh? Whazzat? Oh, my pounding head!

Can anyone give a definitive answer on this? In the final stages of revision, I really want to get this stuff right before showing it to others.

Your source is correct, but not for the reason of respect. The reason for capitalization is direct address. Names, references by title, and terms of endearment are capitalized in direct address.
"He's my dad" versus "Hi, Dad."
"Yes, Princess. It's my honor to serve a princess."
"Aye, aye, Captain," said the lieutenant.

In fact, most US publications do not capitalize these two common terms of respect even in direct address:

"Yes, ma'am, I'll mow your lawn for ten dollars."
"I didn't drive the car, sir," said the boy to his father standing next to the dented family Ford.

Last edited:

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
Fallen, Chase, thank you for your responses. I'll capitalize "Princess" when it's a direct address (or, rather, re-capitalize it... unfortunately I already un-capitalized them all in revision, based on incorrect advice).

The whole historian/Historian thing—I guess I'll decide later which makes the most sense. According to an answer on answers.com, even "librarian" would be capitalized when used as a direct address, so I'd think "historian" would be too.

I'd thought myself reasonably solid on spelling and grammar, but this one's been a conundrum. I appreciate the help!