Preparing for NaNo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Now, I'm going to wait until November to do NaNo, and that's a little way off, but what are some of the things I can do to prepare for it? How can I get my mind into shape so I can get the 50k? What are some of the things you guys do?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I start using the NaNo forums as soon as they reset. Seeing all those people getting excited together, talking about their story, greeting old friends and making new ones, is encouraging to me. Other than that, I just try to know which story I'll be working on and have some kind of outline ready.

Jen Selinsky

Registered
Reaction score
I've contemplated doing NaNo myself. It would be easier now that I'm working part-time, but I already have so many irons in the fire...

AshlynnHeart

Registered
Reaction score
I successfully completed my first NaNo last year. I like to write short stories beforehand to get use to writing and read some books to see what actual published authors write. I'm also a planster and like to plan my novel out in October. I find the other months to be too early as ideas change constantly. If you need any help you can ask me.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
My NaNo Prep strategy is to pretend I'm not going to do it until the last possible minute, then make a snap decision that I'm going to take a break from whatever I'm working on to do something fun. The problem with this is that I got kind of obsessed with the thing I started last NaNo and I'm still working on it, so to follow my usual strategy I'd probably have to go back to the thing this project is a distraction from.

I'm definitely a pantser, so my preparation for NaNo is pretty simple. I make a list of characters I know are going to be in it, write a brief description of them, write down some rough guidelines for the setting, then try to write down what the opening image is without actually starting the story. If I know anything else e.g. I might be setting out to find a different way to develop an older idea, I write that down as well. I don't bother trying to develop plot points or anything like that, because at this stage it would be a list of things that definitely aren't going to happen rather than a useful guide.

Also, you need a title. It serves several functions for me - an expression of theme, a thing to name folders and story files, and of course a necessary part of signing up for NaNoWriMo.

This probably sounds either obvious or silly, but you don't really have to do anything special or different for NaNo. It's more like the distilled essence of the things that already work for you. If you usually plan things thoroughly, you won't suddenly be able to write a fantastic pantsed draft, and if you're usually a pantser it's quite likely you'd end up dumping any planning you attempt. So, I'd say the first step is to figure out what works (and what doesn't work) for you already. Then, figure out how to adapt the 'what works' list to working at NaNo speed and also probably figure out how to avoid falling into the dangerous territory of the 'what doesn't work' list.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Cool. Though I don't really do titles first. Most of the time, they're just a thing I add somewhere in process. On occasion they matter, but well...my last short story is titled. "Fantasea."

Das not good.

But outlining seems like a great idea.

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net
I'm not a great source, never having completed NaNo, but one of the first things I do when I'm preparing for a story is to collect as many pieces of inspiration as possible. I make a folder and just fill it with anything and everything I can find from Deviant Art or Pinterest, even pieces of music that pique my interest.

Best of luck to you!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a nano-planner myself (and a ML, and a serious nano-veteran).

Participating isn't a question for me, so I usually get into gear mid-September. I try to be realistic with my expectations, meaning looking at my work schedule and figure out how much my co-ML and I will be running events together vs apart (she lives about an hour away. We live on exactly the top and bottom of our region) and anything else that might be consuming my time during November.

When I'm busy, I need more notes, a firmer outline, all that stuff. That way, when I have time to write, I can get words on paper instead of thinking about potential words on paper.

I snowflake everything out to a scene list with most of my attention on execution - literally what are they doing and why. My goal is to have a decently complete outline by Nov 1, but since my region does plotting meetups once a week for October, I am better off having my outline before the last week, so I can focus on organising the kick off party, handout packets, and all the like.

If you plot, start now! If you don't, you can still gather inspiration. Keep an eye on your region, and even if they aren't planning any pre-nano events, you can still suggest some informal gatherings either in-person or online.

TL;DR - It's never too early to start planning a nano.

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Usually sometime in September I start hanging around the forums more and participating there just to get excited and see what others are talking about. I probably don't do any real "preparation" until October, when I kind of nail down what project I want to work on, put in my novel title and summary, design a cover (or request one in the Artisans forum). Of course, you don't need any of that to participate (well, you do need a title, even if it's just "Untitled"). But I like to have it all because it motivates me. I typically will do a little bit of planning, but I don't outline or anything like that. I just like to know the first few scenes I'm going to write and have a general idea for the overall story structure. The novel I'm planning to do this year is what I've been wanting to write for years, so I have a pretty good idea about the plot and such.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
I'm an ML too! Woo hoo! *high-fives CoffeeBeans* And a long-time veteran, having done NaNo every year since 2001 (except 2002, when I was traveling too much for work).

The amount of planning I do for NaNo depends entirely on the mood I'm in at about this time of year. In '05 I sat down at midnight on November 1 and started writing whatever popped into my head, and wrote a pretty decent novel if I do say so myself; last year I decided to tackle one of those big novels that I've been wanting to do for a long time, so about this time of year I began to plot (using the Snowflake Method and Scrivener). This year I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do... I have several novels I want to write, and I need to figure out which of them I want to work on this year. Then depending on which project I decide to work on, I'll begin compiling images, listening to music, and so on. I may set up a Pinterest board this year, in fact. I'm not entirely sure.

:shrug: I hope something here is useful to you.

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Ohh, I'm excited to find this post. I just decided to participate in NaNo this year. I have an idea for a new project, outside my typical comfort zone and I think I want to plot it out, too, which I've always avoided.

I've not been to the official forums yet, but is that where I should look for any groups? I'd like to get involved in a "support group" for the month, something active and inspiring. Any ideas?

I've never plotted or been involved in Nano, so I've been Googling, looking for ideas. Found this page[Template] Story Beats and am thinking of using it. Saw there was one for the Snowflake method, too, but that one seems a little more intimidating, somehow.

Thanks for sharing all the tips here!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done NaNo most years since 2002. I've won most years too - failed one, and didn't participate in 2. The one I failed happened to be a travel memoir. Not sure what that says ;)

I'm a panster as well, although I have had my plotting moments. I also sometimes do what Siana said up there - pretend I'm not doing it till the last minute, then jump in! I have lots of story ideas that haven't been written yet, but since I also have 15 novels that I haven't properly edited yet for the most part, I feel like always writing something new for NaNo is me shooting myself in the foot. :p But luckily this year I've been active with editing my existing novels, so at least I can say I've made progress since last NaNo (when, yes, I wrote a new work).

I'm not sure if I will write something new this year or not. It's usually too hard to resist the lure of doing so!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh, I'm excited to find this post. I just decided to participate in NaNo this year. I have an idea for a new project, outside my typical comfort zone and I think I want to plot it out, too, which I've always avoided.

I've not been to the official forums yet, but is that where I should look for any groups? I'd like to get involved in a "support group" for the month, something active and inspiring. Any ideas?

I've never plotted or been involved in Nano, so I've been Googling, looking for ideas. Found this page[Template] Story Beats and am thinking of using it. Saw there was one for the Snowflake method, too, but that one seems a little more intimidating, somehow.

Thanks for sharing all the tips here!

I mostly hang out in my regional forum on the NaNo forums. Occasionally I'll go into the age-specific group, I think my one is 30s & 40s. :) But mostly in my regional group. I think there's a forum for NaNo soundtracks, e.g. what you're listening to or what music you associate with your story, etc., which I also love but usually forget to visit :p Oh and there's a forum for people who are struggling with their NaNo, so there's always support there.

You might find that there are write-ins happening in your region? I have skipped most in my region but last year I went to the kick-off night which was fun.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously on the fence this year. I've won every year since 2004, even 2012 when I was in the hospital for four days during the event, but I haven't been in the best head space for over a year now and might have to give it a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.