Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I've had associations with two agents and neither gave me so much as a crumb of good advice. So your experience MAY be par for the course.

The idea that the general market is full only of sack-scene-novels and graphic sex is just not true. "Sweet" romance is making a comeback big ways in the general market. There is a very healthy set of romance readers who do NOT want to read the lascivious stuff. They DO, however, want to read about two people falling in love. I hear there is even "sweet" same-sex fic, though that idea squicks me out.

You might want to run your novel idea past Desert Breeze Publishing, who doesn't publish smut and who loves the idea of fiction that pushes the borders a bit. You won't make swackloads of money -- they're not that big. But you WILL get publishing credentials and learn how a small press operates. It's been better than gold for me.

I left the CBA-wannabe world behind quite a while ago, and I don't regret it.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
I hear there is even "sweet" same-sex fic, though that idea squicks me out.

I'm not sure this is coming across as you intend.

Carrie, I found your account interesting, and I'm glad you're moving forward as makes sense to you.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
There is a very healthy set of romance readers who do NOT want to read the lascivious stuff. They DO, however, want to read about two people falling in love. I hear there is even "sweet" same-sex fic, though that idea squicks me out.
I intended pretty much what I said. What about it came across differently to you?

My hope is that perhaps you meant, "Sweet same-sex romance? Oh, no! We need more same-sex erotica!"

My fear is that you're saying a whole category of books--or maybe even a whole category of people--"squick" you out.

Some Absolute Write community members write sweet same-sex romance, and some Absolute Write community members love people of the same sex. If you were being playful, it didn't really work for me.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've ported several posts from Carrie in PA's CBA or Bust thread to here. Carrie's thread is a good discussion on trying to break into the CBA and I hope the folks in this room who are in or trying to get into the CBA will be able to help out others who are aiming for the same market.

I'm now addressing the derail in the original thread: This is a judgement-free zone. This room is a place to discuss writing, not religion.

As far as Christian romance goes, everyone is welcome to and encouraged to talk about the mechanics of it: sweet vs. edgy, G-rated vs. R-rated, and hetero vs. same-sex. The same applies to any other genre of Christian writing, fic and NF. If anyone is uncomfortable with any part of a discussion or doesn't feel they have anything helpful to contribute, simply skip the thread.

The Christian forum is a safe space for *all* Christians. Everyone is welcome here.

Status
Not open for further replies.