Escape Rooms

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who else is an Escape Room nerd? I did my first in Budapest a few years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was into computer escape rooms a few years back. They are addicting. :D

I didn't know they had real ones.

My son lives in Capitol Hill. I'll have to check this one out: Puzzle Break's first escape room, Escape from Studio D, opened in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle, Washington in August 2013.

Wonder if the newer version is still there.
Escape from Studio D was closed to make way for Puzzle Break's next project: Escape from Twenty Thousand Leagues. Escape the Midnight Carnival followed in March 2016.

I'm surprised I've never heard of this place: Puzzle Break Room.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was into computer escape rooms a few years back. They are addicting. :D

I didn't know they had real ones.
I don't play computer games (well - except for WordsWithFriends) - but the RL Escape Rooms are fantastic. Can be quite scarey, but really, really addictive.

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
These sound like the best way to end up in a horror movie.

Or learn how to survive being in one.

I wonder if anyone's made a film/written a book where the escape room game turns out to be real...

I haven't done one myself, but my bro-in-law and his wife are big fans. Makes for easy birthday presents for them every year. :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've done one with my best friend for her bachelorette party. It was just her, me, her best guy friend, and two strangers we met there. Superhero themed, we were playing five henchmen breaking into a 70s superhero's NY apartment and hunting for info about the hero league. We succeeded (with a lot of help from the guide XD) and had a blast doing it.

Then we gave them all inappropriate bachelorette party lollipops.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
We did our first one about six months ago, and loved it so much that my husband and I scrapped our plan of a mountain getaway for our anniversary and did two escape rooms in one day instead.

We escaped the first one. The next two had a 12% and 10% success rate, and we *just* missed them.

We plan to do another one with the whole family soon. I have a Groupon that I need to use.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
there was a pop up escape room to advertise The Class that I went to. it was meant to be for 10 people, but me + spouse tried to do it in our own hehe. we only lost by like 15 seconds

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm meeting my kids on the weekend for another Sydney one. Usually we do it with some of their friends, but this is a 3 - 4 person one and they asked me because - get this - "between us we have the perfect skill set."

I cried a little tear at being relevant again. Don't tell them, but.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love escape rooms!! I really want to do the space station one!! The one closest to me has an Indiana Jonesish 'The Dig' one and a Victorian one I'd do too.

Let's go! C'mon!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who comes to Australia and does escape rooms is welcome to stay at my house. (Must love chickens.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow! I've never heard of these before, but they sound fun. I googled, and they have a few in my area. I'd be too chicken to do one without having someone I knew with more experience with the things in my group, though.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I've never heard of these before, but they sound fun. I googled, and they have a few in my area. I'd be too chicken to do one without having someone I knew with more experience with the things in my group, though.

Just bring any random friend or family member or someone with you and you'll be fine, really. It's very fun and there are (here anyway) a good mix of people who've done it, total newbies, people really good, people totally confused, etc. It generates a festive, cooperative thing amongst the group, even though they're mostly strangers, because most people have a non-stranger with them and so it's kind of even -- no one knows the solution, but everyone has their own strengths.

I've seen some fun dopiness posted online -- a clue giver (there are people watching your group who type clues and stuff on a screen to you) who said one person in a group was intent on his belief that the fire extinguisher in the room had some deep clue-involved meaning and carried it around the entire time. It was the fire extinguisher from the wall, like, required in a public space, heh. Someone who disassembled furniture, convinced it'd help (you don't need to disassemble furniture), etc. In my experience, the rest of the group kind of quickly susses out if there's a dedicated loon and just nods along and works around them.

Really -- it's so fun, just grab anyone you know and go!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, my son says the people at his work are really into these rooms but he isn't. I don't really have a group of people to go with.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh, my son says the people at his work are really into these rooms but he isn't. I don't really have a group of people to go with.
You'll have to come down here, then.