Celtx

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been using Celtx for a long time, and it works well for me. I downloaded it on my old computer back when they offered it for free, but now the website doesn't seem to offer that anymore. I am wondering is there any safe website that still offers it for free? If not, is there something else that's comparable for free? Right now I don't really have the funds for anything more else. Thank you!!

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
CeltX has ceased to distribute the Windows desktop applications years ago. It's all online now. You can create a free account and upload you ".celtx" files and work from there. Adobe has also an online script writing solution.

As for free desktop apps for windows, you can try Trelby. No clue as to what it's worth.

-cb

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I still have an old desktop version of CELTX that doesn't have any DRM on it. Still works. I don't actually use it that often, but it's there. So if you can still transfer the installer/installation folder from your old computer, you might still be able to get in.

I don't love writing in the cloud, but as cbenoi1 says, that's how many of these things are going. I think at least the basic feature set of CELTX is free, though some of the more advanced formats are gated.

ETA: Not to start a DRM/cloud debate, but one of the reasons I dislike writing in the cloud is that if the company hosting the software goes, it can all be gone forever. So keep multiple local back-ups, whatever you do.

Last edited:

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys. I think I'm going to try Trembly, but I'll see if I can still find the old install folder for Celtx. Thanks!!

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Look at Page2Stage. It's a free screenwriting and play writing program. I've used it off and on for several years (I always end up going back to WordPerfect). Page2Stage is an open source program that can be downloaded at www.page2stage.com and www.SourceForge.Net.

The program requires a user name and password to unlock it - they are located at the top of the page at page2stage.com.

I think it's power comes from being almost infinitely configurable.

Doug B

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
Fade In www.fadeinpro.com is also a good option. It's $80 - considerably cheaper than either Movie Magic Screenwriter of Final Draft and has all the bells and whistles. You can import to/export from Final Draft. I know a number of pros who use it.