What to call my newsletter, plus a request for any newsletter tips

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
So, originally I had a custom widget on my WordPress sidebar that didn't even mention the word newsletter. It was buried partway down, had a little dragon picture, and said, "Click here for free short stories and special deals."

That didn't work so well--as in one new subscriber in over a year. Then I did some cross-promoting with another author who had a much larger newsletter group than mine (although with 28, that's not very hard). She advised me to move my sign-in to the top of my sidebar and use the word newsletter, since she had trouble even finding it, and she was looking. So I thought people might need to actually see the word newsletter. It's not catchy, but it certainly is clear. Okay, I did that. Now it's at the top and says, "Free Short Stories and Special Deals!" And it's got a better dragon pic (one with some red in it). And the link you click on in blue says, "Subscribe to Cathleen's newsletter."

It's worked okay-ish. I've gotten six new subscribers in the last four months, two of whom have unsubscribed. Boo to the last. Still, better than it was.

My other problem is that I have no specific freebie. Random short stories don't seem to be enough of an incentive. So I'm working on that, too. I've written a novelette called Stolen Legacy, sent it to betas, and painted the cover. And I'm adding a landing page in my blog because for some reason, research seems to show that people want to click more than once to opt in. Seems counter-intuitive to me, but fine. I added a newsletter landing page.

As a side note, I also have a free book, Dragon Hoard, and a link to subscribe to my newsletter in that as well.

So, now I have a list of questions. Other people have mastered this newsletter gig, to the tune of thousands of followers. I'm going to get good at it, too. Somehow. Eek.

1. Should I call my newsletter subscribers a name? Right now it's just Cathleen's Newsletter. I feel silly calling it Cathleen's Fan Club or similar. Spit-balling options: Updates from Faerie. Fairy Tales to Make You Smile (although I do write the odd tragedy). Fantasy for Readers. Ugh. Nothing else is coming to me. (Naming is not an area of strength for me.)

2. For those who actually visit my blog (in sig), does the newsletter part seem to work okay now? Could you sign up for my newsletter easily if you wanted to? Is there something I should do differently?

3. If you're doing better than me (such a high bar :sarcasm), do you have any tips on how you did this? I'm totally open to any reasonable amount of work.

Thanks so much in advance. :)

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I write newsletters professionally but the one thing I find is that if you're sending a lot of updates via email people will unsubscribe. If I get an email once a week or once a month that works better for me but if you're emailing me daily we have a problem.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
That's not even remotely a problem--rather the reverse. Last year I think I sent out five (I had no new releases). This year I'm aiming for eight or nine newsletters. :)

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
That's not even remotely a problem--rather the reverse. Last year I think I sent out five (I had no new releases). This year I'm aiming for eight or nine newsletters. :)

Cool. I like Updates from Faerie.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be too difficult to subscribe. Mind of the Average Joe. I clicked on the sidebar link, went to a page of text with more link, don't know how to subscribe.

The link needs to not be the URL but in SUBSCRIBE NOW

I'm not one to talk. I have a handful of subscribers. I offer cookies (cookie recipe) and few mailings.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Southpaw. It's just that the damn links sometimes go dead on WordPress for no apparent reason.

But I can put a big subscribe now button on the bottom and add the link in a codicil. :)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I hosted a couple of short pieces on Instafreebie and did some free cross-promos with other authors on Instafreebie. Grew my newsletter subscriber list from 0-1500 in about 3 months.

I've talked to newsletter readers, and read some polls from the same. What the vast majority like is a newsletter either once a week, or once every two weeks. I think you should try got at least 20-24 a year.

I have done pretty well. I have a good open rate and a very low unsubscribe rate. I never plug more than a book of two in each, and that includes new release announcements, cover reveals, etc. I mention my facebook and blog on occasion, but not every time. I sometimes mention what I'm reading from other authors. And I always conclude with a short story, usually something from my life. On occasion, I do a sneak peek. I find that the original content helps keep my open rate up.

I hope some of that helps! I don't have a big list, but I intend to grow it further. I got busy with my novel writing and have been letting promotion for my newsletter slide a bit.