• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for someone with US emergency response experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
Hi! My current manuscript involves many scenes with 911 calls (in the US) and emergency responders. I don't have any direct experience with this process and protocols, so I'm looking for someone who does and would be willing to read just these scenes (43 double-spaced pages, or the whole mss, if you prefer) to help me fix the problems with the process, like who would show up on scene for each type of accident, what is required to pronounce someone dead on the scene, etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered breaking that down into smaller bites?

Who and how someone is pronounced dead at the scene depends on state law which give the authority to pronounce someone dead. In this state the paramedics, but not the EMTs can pronounce someone dead. But in some states a physician or the medical examiner/coroner must call it.

Last edited:

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
The state is Ohio, but I'm not really concerned with all the details matching Ohio law specifically. I just want to eliminate the obvious errors that someone with some experience would spot, regardless of the state in which they obtained that experience.
Have you considered breaking that down into smaller bites?
I'm not sure what you mean. Break down the document I created by pulling out just the emergency response scenes? I'm not sure what the value would be of that.

Another question...what's the difference between an EMT and a paramedic in your state? I always considered the two terms synonymous.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. Break down the document I created by pulling out just the emergency response scenes? I'm not sure what the value would be of that.
I mean, you are asking someone to review an entire manuscript for medical accuracy. That would take hours/days/weeks.

If instead you posted a scene and asked for feedback, you could then judge if you needed a little tweaking, a major rethink, or not much to fix.

Another question...what's the difference between an EMT and a paramedic in your state? I always considered the two terms synonymous.
State EMS laws are funny in my experience. Back east firefighters just fight fires and the EMS system is separate. In this state all firefighters are also EMTs. That means they do provide basic medical care. A couple years ago giving epinephrine was added to their scope of practice. Beyond that they can check a blood sugar, but nothing more invasive than that.

Medics, on the other hand, start out as EMTs/firefighters but then get some very advanced training. Their scope of practice includes giving many life saving drugs, starting IVs including the newest version of sticking a needle into the bone marrow when you can't find a vein, and they can do tracheotomies.

Regardless if the state your story is in matters, you should start here:

http://www.ems.ohio.gov/laws.aspx

http://www.ems.ohio.gov/about-papers.aspx

There is a wealth of information on that site.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of issues with that scene as far as the accident/EMT thing goes.... To start with, that's not going to roll just an ambulance, nor will the EMTs operate like that, at all. They're not just going down an elevator shaft, in any circumstance, at least not here.

An accident like that is rolling out cops, because it needs serious investigation, reporting, etc., FD, because they're dealing with the logistics of that, and EMTS to treat people ONCE they're rescued. That is a big, big scene. Also, again, here, 911 doesn't talk like that -- that was both too little and too much information. They don't care often who you are, but they need a fuckload more info on what is going on. That was oddly blase. Nor do they, at least here, want random callers to stay on the line. If you're calling during an ongoing incident like a breakin, they do, because they want to be able to provide the in-transit units with updates. If you're calling for something that's already happened, get off the phone.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This should be in show your work, not here. Maybe try the thrillers or mystery section?

She wanted comment on the EMS actions.

Definitely put that in SYW, you need a bit of help with the writing.

But as for the EMS actions, I can address some of that:

First, I'm confused why there is no access directly to the bottom of the elevator shaft.

Second, the first thing EMS would do is disable the elevator so it could not come down and squish them.

Third, as you've written it with the need to lift people out of a shaft, they would not attempt a rescue with just two people, so the second thing they would so is call in more help.

And I agree with cornflake, the police would also be called.

Look up rescue procedures from EMS training material (first aid books) to start with.

“No, and she appears to have internal injuries. Her abdomen is rigid. We’ll need the board to get her up. She’s elderly and very small, so you should be able to lift her.”
In my experience, this is not the language EMS would use.

They would have addressed the sicker person first unless the other person was in the way. An elevator shaft should have room for more than one person on top of another person.

And they use a routine: ABC Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

They'd put on a neck brace and splint any limbs that looked broken before putting the person on the stretcher.

So start with a better idea of what is at the bottom of an elevator shaft and get a good first aid book showing how a rescue from a shaft or down a cliff would be done.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't understand why they couldn't get to the bottom of the shaft either, but regardless, here if there's an elevator involved, no one is touching that shit but the FD.

Also, btw, not what you asked, but it's why I came back to the thread -- Two things bugged me not to do with the EMT response exactly. First, is it not her neighbour? She seems to make no attempt to see who it is. Second, why does she not go for the super? If I saw someone down the elevator shaft, I'd be on the phone to 911 and running for the super. If there's not a super (or doorman/janitor/something) in the building all hours, I'd call the mgmt when I hung up with 911.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I can't win for losing. I'm looking for a beta reader with EMT or emergency services knowledge and was told to share one of the troublesome scenes. I do so, and get told not to put it here?

It's for your own good, actually. SYW is password protected and will not show up on Google, so you don't have to worry about using up publication rights or putting your work out in public for anyone to see. If I were you, I'd move this there.

Status
Not open for further replies.