Carboreal? Help needed with this word!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. So, the local newspaper has a comics-and-puzzles section. In it, there's a 9-letter puzzle. You're given 9 letters, and have to figure out as many words of 4 letters or more that can be made from those 9 letters. Can't use the same letter twice. However, in every one of these puzzles, there's a 9-letter word. Months ago, I came across these letters: C A R B O R E A L. I didn't see the paper the following day with the solution, and try as I might, I can't figure out a valid 9-letter word from those. Carboreal is the closest I've come (kind of like arboreal, except for cars? *shakes head*). It also can't be 2 words, such as Oral Brace, or Labor Care.

This damn Carboreal has been preying on my mind for months now, and it must die. So I turn to the wordsmiths of AW: Can you figure out which single, 9-letter word this could be? It must be in UK spelling, rather than US spelling, though with the available letters, I don't think that would really matter.

Help, please! First person to figure it out wins a prize!*

* Note: Prize is the satisfaction of being smarter than me. :tongue

ETA: It also can't be a proper noun, such as a city name or whatever.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
boarlacer.

Meaning = a traditional sewing notion used by Venetian gondoliers

ETA: damn!

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Barcarole, maybe? It's a musical term: a Venetian boat song usually in 6⁄8 or 12⁄8 time characterized by the alternation of a strong and weak beat that suggests a rowing rhythm.

If that isn't it, I'm stuck.

ETA: Hah! And I was worried I was gonna be first and spoil all the fun.

ETAA: heh. This was one of those rare chances you get to use/refer to a recently learned word; it is used in a memoir I'm beta reading.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. The force is strong with you 3. :tongue You all win the completely meaningless prize of being smarter than me! :D

And oddly enough, I never would've figured that out on my own. Which is kind of ironic, as I'm a musician who loves all things Italy! Gah! Hubris, thy name is Carboreal!

Oh, and Jaymz - I've bookmarked that site now. Should this 9-letter puzzle in the paper ever toy with me so again, I'll know exactly where to go. :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. The force is strong with you 3. :tongue You all win the completely meaningless prize of being smarter than me! :D

And oddly enough, I never would've figured that out on my own. Which is kind of ironic, as I'm a musician who loves all things Italy! Gah! Hubris, thy name is Carboreal!

Oh, and Jaymz - I've bookmarked that site now. Should this 9-letter puzzle in the paper ever toy with me so again, I'll know exactly where to go. :)

hah! You're not talking to me; I only learned the dadgummed word a coupla weeks sooner than you did. :greenie

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned it from Jaymz, but I didn't believe it till Ari used it. :2angel:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

You know you have to write a story now and call it Carboreal, Cliff. ;)

It's definitely a handy site to have at your fingertips!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I'll definitely have to use the word "Carboreal" at some point in my writing.

Incidentally, I realised after posting this thread that those letters could also spell the 2 words "Bare Carol". In fact, if the "e" was moved, it'd be the actual answer. But yeah... "Bare Carol". *makes suggestive eyebrow movements* :tongue

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, I realised after posting this thread that those letters could also spell the 2 words "Bare Carol". In fact, if the "e" was moved, it'd be the actual answer. But yeah... "Bare Carol". *makes suggestive eyebrow movements* :tongue
Yeah, sweetie - you really need to move on now.... :e2apple:

;)

Last edited: