Where do you blog on?

spottedgeckgo

Da Gecko
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spottedgeckgo.com
wordpress on a private domain. The site's in my sig. I've also been known to play on Medium, but I'm not sure where you draw the line between blogging and social media.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Wordpress.com. WP can also be put on a self-hosted site, but there are several risks to that, and it's unnecessary unless you need the specialized plugins WP.org allows and WP.com does not.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like spottedgeckgo and Filigree, I do self-hosted wordpress. There are no risks if you keep your site updated and don't add weird/unapproved plugins.

I have used Wordpress.com - a good place to start but limited in design.
I have used Blogger - a great place to start and very easy to design.

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
I've had a tumblr for 5 or 6 years but I think I'm going to shut it down. Tumblr corp has been sold again, which coincides with my declined interest.

Anyone tried medium.com?

Maybe it's better to go on wordpress and stay there. It seems to have longevity. I don't want to keep jumping from platform to platform as I have over the years.

Pippo Ranito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scidols.wordpress.com
Wordpress. The way it allows you to manage your site is really nice. It might take some time, but WordPress has made it easy with tons of helpful tips and constant updates. I'm saving up at the moment so I can purchase my domain name. ;)

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer. I have an old blog on blogger that I deactivated that I'd like to activate again and change the name to a paid domain. Will I keep my old posts? Will it just import the old stuff b/c I don't want to lose it. TIA

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's pretty easy to change the domain name on blogger without losing anything. I did it a couple of times when I was first starting off. I'm on Wordpress now, but I started on Blogger.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I have my own domain name (http://leifwright.com), on which I blog using a CMS I wrote myself.

The advantages are multiple: I can control all the content, plus I control the database, plus, I can change what I want when I want. There are downsides: WordPress and the other platforms include communities and whatnot.

Ultimately, however, my CMS (IneffablePress) works for me, and enables me to do everything I want to do. I even write my novels in the same CMS, which allows me to author from my computer, my iPad, my iPhone.

Mairzy Dotes

Registered
Reaction score
I started my blog on blogger in 2005 and within six months blogger had to respond to attempts to subpoena for them to turn over ISP info on commenters to my blog, which under their policy they contest. They gave an email statement on the issue when the local newspaper interviewed them. I survived the migration from "classic" blogger to new blogger with very little difficulty and no delay. Haven't blogged on it in a while and honestly w/ all the changes I find it difficult to format.

Tried Wordpress but had problems learning the formatting as well because that part of it is just difficult for me.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Wordpress, on my own domain. I'm pleased with WordPress, but I'm pondering a complete redesign of the site. In my copious spare time, of course.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I started out with wordpress on a hosted domain but switched to Blogger after a couple of years, keeping my domain name. It's cheaper, a lot less maintenance, and posting the same pictures on both of my blogs takes only a fraction of the time than it did with wordpress. I liked the design options wordpress provided a lot better, though. But I'm a pragmatic soul :)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I've been all around the blogging world, and even had my own self-hosted wordpress for a while.

But I am absolutely in love with Medium. It is the perfect site. For my poetry, for my long-form creative nonfiction. It's the perfect blogging software cum social media platform.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I have one on wordpress and another on Blogger. I hate both of them. They are too limited. I hate templates. So I am buiding a website with what I call a blogisque==a blog that isn't a blog. When it's finished it will have blog elements like comments and a search app.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
But I am absolutely in love with Medium.

I couldn't stand it. Maybe you have more control if it's your site, but contributing to the Worldbuilding.SE blog, the editing is awful and it can't import rich text from a document I write on a word processor, and it doesn't have any control over the paragraph styles and formatting, or the ability to add more special styles.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
I have one on wordpress and another on Blogger. I hate both of them. They are too limited. I hate templates. So I am buiding a website with what I call a blogisque==a blog that isn't a blog. When it's finished it will have blog elements like comments and a search app.

I did that for a while. Here is an example where I made it look like an engineer's notepad, and the illustrations are hand-drawn sketches that change based on the liquid layout.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I did that for a while. Here is an example where I made it look like an engineer's notepad, and the illustrations are hand-drawn sketches that change based on the liquid layout.

Not that you asked for a critique, but that typeface is really difficult to read against the grid background.