Ingram vs. Createspace

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any self-publishers here using IngramSpark instead of Createspace? I've been reading articles about the battle between the two. IngramSpark definitely costs more to publish ($49 vs $0 plus no free ISBN), but you can get wider distribution and higher profits.

If you've had experience with both, I'd love to hear your take on the two and whether you prefer one over the other. Especially if you have seen differences in sales volume between the two.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
I use both, but the vast majority of my sales come from the various Amazon markets, which CS does better with, as far as availability goes. I have some full-color books on Amazon through IS only, and I sometimes have availability issues with them.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Most indie authors tend to see the vast majority of sales through ebooks, so its mostly a bit of a moot point really. Although technically I think its easier to get an IS in stores... although whether they'll take you is another thing entirely.

Sleeping Cat Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
Unless you don't have many ebooks, which I don't. What I publish doesn't lend itself to ebook format (facing-page bilingual books). So my sales are all print, and mostly from Amazon.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread, but I just started researching CS and IS. I don't have the time right now to learn how to format for print. Do either of these services streamline that process?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I believe CreateSpace has shut down. Amazon sent me an email to inform me that all my books were being transferred to KDP print.

So, this is a zombie thread that should probably be closed. Perhaps a new one could be opened up--KDP vs. Ingram. Or maybe this one could be renamed.

To give rosehips some kind of answer, though, I've never used Ingram, but I've heard on kboards that they're a bit trickier than Amazon. Also, they charge every time you load a new document, which I find to be a non-productive disincentive. It makes you less inclined to reload your book just because you overlooked a comma. On Amazon, fix the comma, load the book back on, and you're done. Takes less time to do it than to dither over it.

Amazon and Ingram are not entirely an either/or proposition, however. If you choose a book trim size that Ingram does in hardback, you can use the same file for both Amazon and Ingram. This is the scenario that I was going to try.

First, load your books onto Amazon. Make sure you like the book in its present form while you can still make changes for free. For my next books, I'm changing my trim size to 5 by 8 because that's a standard size that Ingram will do in hardback.

Then load the same file onto Ingram. If you keep to the same trim size, nothing changes, and you won't get hit with extra fees for modifying.

This requires double the ISBNs. Amazon, Smashwords, and D2D are all willing to give you a free one, but I don't know if anyone has ever used, say, an ISBN from Smashwords for their paperback. Those are all supposed to be for the epub version of your book. Figure you'll have to buy ISBNs, at least for the hardbacks.

The major snag here, and the reason I'm still in a holding pattern on it, is that ISBNs are really expensive. I believe a single one costs $100. OTOH, you can buy a block of a hundred for a mere thousand. And okay, it's a much better deal--ten bucks apiece--but you need a spare thousand to do it.

Still, there's no deadline. There's no reason why I can't go put my books into hardback next year, when I can hopefully afford it. Much better than thinking I can never have them in hardback at all. :)

Last edited:

Sleeping Cat Books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
Sorry to wake up a sleeping thread, but I just started researching CS and IS. I don't have the time right now to learn how to format for print. Do either of these services streamline that process?

No, neither company (KDP Print or IngramSpark) offer author services such as design. If you don't want to learn to design the book yourself, you'll need to hire an author services provider to create a print-ready PDF for you.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net

As was said Createspace was shut down and folded into KDP.

KDP has MS word templates you can download and use for internal formatting. They also have some cover images you can use - I’ve not used the later though.

I’ve read a little about Kobo, maybe you could look into that.