Chemistry: Coloured Smoke Flares & Pepper Spray Mix

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hi, guys. Does anyone know if you're able to add maybe the food-grade pepper extract to the smoke flare composition mix (KClO3 etc)? Or maybe even the homemade composition of pepper spray (peppers soaked in alcohol, then boiled etc). I know there's pepper spray grenades etc, but I need something (fictionally) that lasts the length/is hidden in a smoke flare. Or would you need something like potassium nitrate instead to burn at higher temp etc if it's changed from the likes of dye to anything to do with the pepper mix?

Thank you so much for any help. :) :Hug2:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Pepper spray and CS (Chemical Smoke) grenades are two different animals. Pepper spray is a pepper based liquid irritant delivered in an aerosol, and CS is generated in a thermal reaction. I don't think it would work to try to deliver pepper spray in a flare, although I suppose you could package a CS grenade in the form of a flare, if that's what you need. CS is some pretty noxious stuff. I'll take pepper spray over it any day of the week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hmmm, looks like just running with the likes of tear gas and smoke flares as separate devices, then! Thank you for answering, guys!! :) Helps in huge ways.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
You might not be able to combine a flare and pepper extract, but designing a flare with colored smoke designed to be a debilitating irritant is not hard to do either.

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
A flare coated by a thin steel casing could protect a pepper compound on the outside of the casing and it could evaporate off during the burning process. The difficulity would be getting oxygen to the flare as it burns down into the steel tube.