• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for 96k Contemporary Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
Looking for self-publish in the near future so I'm looking for beta readers to make sure my manuscript isn't absolutely terrible plot/character development/pacing-wise. I've already sent it off to an editor so it should be free from grammar issues.

HEARTLESS is mainly a contemporary fantasy (I'd call it urban fantasy but since it's based in a small town instead of a big city, people tend to get touchy about it)

For swapping: I am willing to swap. I, unfortunately, don't do grammar issues because I don't trust myself to be able to correct them. I can do bigger picture stuff. I like reading supernatural romance, near all types of fantasy, mythology, LGBT+. Sub plot of romance is always a plus.

I'm looking for a quicker turn around, a couple weeks at most. I'll do the same for you. We can try swapping a few chapters first each other to make sure we actually like the book we're betaing :)

Short Blurb:

Emery Clark wants her heart back. It was ripped from her chest in the dead of night by a man who definitely isn’t human. Emery would have died if it weren’t for town newcomer Grayson Novak force feeding her ambrosia. Who stole her heart and why are still a mystery, but Emery has no doubt the heart thief is the same man responsible for the slew of deaths occurring in Grace Way, Illinois over the last two months.

Emery isn’t a detective by any means, but she’s determined. She can’t just sit and worry that monsters really do exist or that her heart no longer resides in her chest. Turns out breaking into the morgue and searching an abandoned church for clues to the heart thief’s whereabouts is the easy part. Dodging Nightmares—heinous shadow monsters that prowl the night, trying to devour Emery—and evading the heart thief, who’s hell-bent on finishing her off, prove harder.

Emery’s not alone. Grayson’s with her, making everything more bearable. He’s a Hunter, a supernatural killing machine whose sole purpose is to eliminate Nightmares, but he’s far from a monster. In her upside down world, he’s her constant with his eternally upbeat nature and bad one-liners.

But every day Emery finds it harder to care. She can feel it, like a tickle in the back of her brain. She’s disconnecting from her humanity and her emotions. And the only way to get them back is by finding her heart. If she fails, she won’t be able to feel anything ever again.

Paula Davids

Banned
Reaction score
Hi KittenEV,

I hope you’re still looking for a critique partner. I’ve read your blurb and what you’re working on sounds right up my street. I think you’ll also find my stuff is in your ball-park. I’m cool with the idea of swapping a few chapters to see if it works out. If it does, then I do quick turnaround (just critted someone’s 96K novel in about two weeks – and he’s happy with my input).

Here’s an outline of my wip – a series of eleven themed novelettes.

Story One – Kisses (15K): Shakira is the ‘huntress’ – she’s weird, superhuman, maybe even a bit psycho – and when she is mysteriously impelled to meet precocious township teenager, Siska, she takes the murder of Siska’s friend, Alice, to heart and offers to ‘save ten women from their predators’. It’s not an entirely selfless offer: even though she senses this quest is part of redemptive calling, she bargains with Siska for ‘ten kisses’, hoping to find comfort for her aching loneliness. It’s quite a ride for Siska who has to review her relationship with Detective Quawe, lead investigator on the case, and her budding feelings for Mareka, a co-activist in women’s issues. And she has to deal with the enigmatic Shakira – friend and ally, or betrayer and abuser?

Story Two – Holiday Lover (10K): Denise has found the perfect holiday lover in Shafik, or so she thinks. But things go wrong when she stumbles on his involvement in a heroin cartel and her innocent happiness is ripped apart by terror and betrayal. She seems destined for a brutal and ignominious death – until Shakira intervenes and metes out rough and imperfect justice.

And there’s more.

Natira

Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to beta read as well and provide feedback on plot/character development/pacing. I'm also open to swaps but my book isn't quite ready for that yet. I'm genuinely interested in your book too. :) I'm also looking at self-publishing in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.