The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sunday, noonish, just finished some light exercise, and time for a bit of a snack in lieu of lunch. (We're meeting family at a restaurant in a couple hours, which will be sort of lunch and dinner, so eating a full lunch now seems pointless.)

For the curious, I did get that Sequel draft finished. I am now letting it chill for the rest of the day whilst revisions are contemplated. The end definitely needs detangling - sorta rushed it - and overall I'd like to rein it in a bit on word count (or at least not inflate it significantly during fixes), but overall it's passable by my low standards.

Time to grab snack stuff and fire up The Expanse. (Missed my Saturday dose when I skipped foot pedal exercise due to lurking lung scunge. And dibs on Lurking Lung Scunge as a garage metal band name.)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*waves*

I think I've hit my peopling quota for the month. But it's only halfway. And two weeks until my vacation. And so much to do. Dang it. And so many things, both yay, tiring and shenanigans in the past two weeks it's not even funny.

So I've been hiding today and binged the whole "The Boys" on Am@zon. Going off looking for something else to binge tonight, because peopling again tomorrow night at a baseball game, then Tuesday night is finishing a crit that has taken wayyyyyyy too long *sigh LIFE shake fist sigh* and cramming four weeks worth of things that need to get done in the next two weeks.

And buying a new bear vault. Because camping in backcountry and bears with no vault to hide my food is not good. Someone (not a bear) made off with my old vault. >.< See shenanigans reference above. And my mother's fancy relish tray.

*goes to find adult beverage to add to her tea*

Oh, and there's lemon meringue pie in the Castle this week, in case you want to visit. I've absconded with the sparkly crown.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Back at it, I guess. Keeping one eye on the window, just in case the Wilson's warbler makes another appearance. (Saw him yesterday in the orchard, which was an unexpected surprise; usually only see them briefly in the spring, not this time of year. They're bright yellow, so they really stand out among our usual brown and gray birds.)
Heeeey, I think one of those landed on our porch one time. We're in the migration zone, though, so it was probably just passing through, and I never saw it again.

I like the part where the explosion explodes. And also when Batman throws Alfred. And also when Alfred gives birth to Robin because it's his job. *dies*:ROFL:

Good evening, Cantina. :Hug2:to those who need them. Sunday school went fine. Next week will be the last week we have with this group of kids before they move on to 2nd grade and we get a new group. This group has had their own set of unique challenges...they haven't been the easiest group we've had, nor the hardest... but they've been overall nice kids and I'll miss them.

When we got home, I saw a mama deer with two babies passing through the woods, and then saw a red velvet "ant" for the first time in... uh... 22 years? Not exaggerating, my mom says the last time she remembers seeing one was when we moved out here when I was 5. It's actually a type of wasp, but the females don't have wings. They do have stingers, though, and are called "cow killers" for a reason so if you see one, DON'T TOUCH IT. Some crazy-head on YouTube intentionally let himself be stung by one and it apparently won't actually kill you, but judging by the guy's shaking and sweating it apparently hurts so bad you wish you were dead until it stops.

Other than that, my mom and I picked beans and tried a new egg salad sandwich recipe, and I added some autumnal elements to my Etsy shop banner so that will be ready when it's time to post it. Nothing too eventful. There's too much TV noise to write this evening so I'm going to go crochet.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tiddlywinks - What did you think of The Boys? I've been considering watching, but I'm not sure if it goes too dark (as in dark just for shock value, not dark for legitimate story purposes.)

Later the same Sunday, and the late lunch went fairly well. Even got prescriptions picked up, so that doesn't have to be done tomorrow. I hope. Now I'm just chilling with various reading material and definitely not thinking about the Sequel, because I need to let it sit for a day or two before I can look at it and figure out how to fix the most glaring of its many, many flaws.

Off to write up a quick graphic novel review, then figure out some other way to not write. Because I need to not write now, you stupid lousy brain that only wants to do what I tell it specifically not to do...

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
BD - well, I liked it well enough to keep watching the whole thing. I almost tapped out in the first couple of episodes because of one plot point that I generally don't like, ever, and I wasn't too happy with how they handled it. But I stuck around. Not sure how I feel about how they ended season one. Bit of a cliffhanger for me and more questions than answers - nothing was truly wrapped up in my opinion.

It's a bit heavy on the gore and violence for my tastes. Don't get me wrong; I can handle dark and violence (fan of John Wick), but when it tips over...I'm not sure if I'll be invested enough to jump into Season 2. Kinda like the Punisher series was for me. I never watched past the first season as it was just too violent for violence's sake. Some of the character storylines are what kept me invested enough to watch. Others, I'm like "when are they going to kill you already?" And some, like Butcher, I feel like they could have done more with - he started to become a bit of a caricature.

Pretty good, but not awesome is my short answer.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
*sets out some chocolate chip mint ice cream for Tiddly*

I laughed my butt off at some of those scenes in The Boys.

I had a rough day at work so I'm watching movies. Right now, I'm finally watching Aquaman. I don't hate it but I can't say I really like it. But that might be Marvel bias showing through.

Today was the six-year anniversary of my first short story being accepted. I have mixed feelings.

How does habanero honey mango ice cream sound?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tiddlywinks - Okay. I think I'll move it to the "maybe when I've rewatched the Expanse, and checked out a couple other series I'm getting to on Netflix" queue, then. Gore and violence just to be gory and violent isn't really my thing, either, though parts of it do sound intriguing.

Speaking of Netflix, just watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Dang, wish I'd seen that on the big screen... gorgeous animation, brilliant writing that balances emotion and humor and manages to integrate seemingly incompatible characters into a cohesive group. Very worthy of the awards it's snapped up, including an Oscar and a Hugo. Might even watch it again - hopefully without family babbling in the background, loud enough to hear through a closed door and headphones. (And I'm just have casual, cultural osmosis knowledge of Spider-Man's various iterations; I'm sure hardcore fans found a lot more than I did to enjoy.)

Off I wander. Will probably read before bed. Tomorrow (or Tuesday), I'll be getting back to the Sequel. In the meantime, brain break.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
We've watched the first few episodes of Chernobyl and have The Boys on the list.

This weekend was pretty miserable :( I had a Scottish Festival (Buffalo) that I've done well at the last two years. This year, I didn't even make expenses. Also, severe downpour with thunder/lightning mid-day on Saturday made everyone scramble off. Sunday weather was gorgeous, but still very low attendance. They upped the admission this year and had about 1/3 the attendance. Also, fewer vendors. Only about 8 when they used to have 16-18. I've been fighting a painful heel spur for a month, and it was OK most of the weekend, but during breakdown (a 2-hour process) it flared up super-painful. I could barely walk by the end, and since I work the shows alone, I had no one to help. Yes, I'm finally getting a doctor appt for it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
greendragon - Bummer on the bust of a festival, and on the foot pain. Hope you get some useful answers from the doctor.

Monday morning, slowly waking up. Reading and site work are on the agenda, and I'll be looking at the Sequel this evening (if I don't put it off to Tuesday; the end really is a mess, and I'm not yet sure how to fix it.) Also need to do my exercise. And I'd like to get back to gaming, because I miss it and I'm so frellin' close to finishing a full round of Titan Quest: Ragnarok.

Off I go. Within 50 pages of finishing another read, so I want to clear that first.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could watch all these new shows that everyone talks about, because some of the plot points seems so intriguing, but the graphic nature of so many of them just turns me off immediately. I wish I wasn't so sensitive, but I know how upset I get when I see that kind of stuff.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wish I could watch all these new shows that everyone talks about, because some of the plot points seems so intriguing, but the graphic nature of so many of them just turns me off immediately. I wish I wasn't so sensitive, but I know how upset I get when I see that kind of stuff.

You know, I get that, LadyV. I think I'm fairly desensitized. Dark humor comes from being like that.

I hope everybody is doing well. I'm exhausted. My job is just beating me crap out of me daily and I haven't been sleeping. Today I was so exhausted that right after work I took a nap. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. So, the nap was good.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Later the same Monday, and I've decided to put off writing revisions until Tuesday afternoon or evening.

Because I'm lazy and still have no clue how to fix what's broken, that's why.

Not much else to report about my day, save catching up on site stuff and getting some exercise in. I think I need to adjust my foot pedal thing. I swear it's not giving the same resistance it used to, but I can't crank the dial any higher. Maybe if I back it all the way off, then crank it up again? The only battery in the thing powers the digital readout, not the magnetic resistance thingy, IIRC, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Mergh. Nothing is ever easy.

And I did finish reading a book. Need to select another one tonight.

Also, need to reply to an e-mail on the site. Someone who used to do my old click-and-take adoptables left a nice little note. It's probably silly, but nice to know it was remembered fondly by someone other than me. So I figured I'd write them back to let them know I appreciated it.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm with you, LadyV. :Hug2: No intriguing storyline is worth the anxiety, if not panic attacks that graphic violence causes me. Shows like Chernobyl and The Boys don't interest me personally (glad others here are enjoying them, they're just not my thing), but with Amazon's upcoming LOTR (actually the appendices of LOTR) series, for example, I'm so nervous that they're going to try to go Game of Thrones level violence with it and I'm not going to be able to watch it no matter how much I'd like to. Fingers crossed they'll understand the differences between the fan bases and the books and not go more graphic than Tolkien himself did. As some have pointed out, yes, some violent things happened in the Second Age, but that doesn't mean you have to zoom the camera in and max out your fake blood budget. Just as people can close their eyes, so too can the camera look away. Only time will tell, I guess. In the meanwhile, all I know to do is support the shows and movies and books that are able to entertain me without feeling the need to be graphic just for the sake being graphic.:Shrug:

Morning, Cantina. Yesterday was full of unfocused feelings and procrastination struggles, yet somehow I managed to get at least some things done. Today I'm feeling more focused, so hopefully more will get done.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tuesday morning, sunny, but a crisp autumnal sunny.

The sibling is off at a doctor's appointment, and you can just feel the calmness in the house. (I know she doesn't mean it, but... I just wish we could get her diagnosed and helped.)

Plans for today include a shopping trip and calling the tire place to see if I need an appointment for tire rotation, and later on taking a look at the story I don't know how to fix.

Also still need to pick another physical read, though part of me just wants to put extra energy into clearing my Kindle title that's been kinda lingering.

Away I meander.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon's upcoming LOTR (actually the appendices of LOTR) series, for example, I'm so nervous that they're going to try to go Game of Thrones level violence with it and I'm not going to be able to watch it no matter how much I'd like to.

I won't ever watch The Two Towers again (or was it The Return of the King?) again because of the one scene where the bad guys catapolted all the dead soldier's heads over the city wall, along with some leering commentary. Now that was not in the book and totally unnecessary.

Some parts in The Elfstones of Shannara seemed unnecessarily violent too. It bothers me more when the acting isn't up to par.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Gaaah, I wish people would stop commenting on the redness of my eyes. Gee, ya thunk?! :rolleyes It's not like they're swollen or itchy or anything. No really, I hadn't noticed!

I've been fighting a painful heel spur for a month, and it was OK most of the weekend, but during breakdown (a 2-hour process) it flared up super-painful. I could barely walk by the end, and since I work the shows alone, I had no one to help. Yes, I'm finally getting a doctor appt for it.
I hope they can help you because that sounds so very painful.

I kinda do too. A favourite author of mine has recently written a horror book. I really want to read it because I have all the other books. But horror and me, no way I'm getting out unscathed. I must pass. Boo.

On the other hand, these days I am so spoilt for choice to watch things. I never watched as much TV in my life before and there are so many series still to go. Never mind rewatching stuff. Heck, I never even have time to watch Netflix with all these things I can now easily record on TV.

I'm with you, LadyV. :Hug2: No intriguing storyline is worth the anxiety, if not panic attacks that graphic violence causes me. Shows like Chernobyl and The Boys don't interest me personally (glad others here are enjoying them, they're just not my thing), but with Amazon's upcoming LOTR (actually the appendices of LOTR) series, for example, I'm so nervous that they're going to try to go Game of Thrones level violence with it and I'm not going to be able to watch it no matter how much I'd like to. Fingers crossed they'll understand the differences between the fan bases and the books and not go more graphic than Tolkien himself did. As some have pointed out, yes, some violent things happened in the Second Age, but that doesn't mean you have to zoom the camera in and max out your fake blood budget. Just as people can close their eyes, so too can the camera look away. Only time will tell, I guess. In the meanwhile, all I know to do is support the shows and movies and books that are able to entertain me without feeling the need to be graphic just for the sake being graphic.:Shrug:
Yeah, I have niggles about Amazon's Second Age too. Especially since it was announced as alternative, able to to go directly toe to toe with Game of Thrones' splatterfest. Not for me, then. But I have hopes to be wrong about this.

I won't ever watch The Two Towers again (or was it The Return of the King?) again because of the one scene where the bad guys catapolted all the dead soldier's heads over the city wall, along with some leering commentary. Now that was not in the book and totally unnecessary.
Um, yes it was in the book, though. (Trust them to pick that out of the book.) Maybe like six sentences in a whole chapter, but I remember reading that and it was no less gruesome. I always felt Tolkien really channeled the horror of the WW trenches there. The Siege of Gondor, IIRC, so that should make the movie in question The Return of the King.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mergh... Tuesday afternoon, and still need to do exercise and call the tire shop.

And sometime between coming home from the shopping trip and now, my watch has been misplaced. I'm sure it'll turn up, but I have no way of knowing when, for obvious reasons.

Just did a small Amazon order (new camera card for a trip on Sunday, which may or may not be here in time), got dinner made and chilling (chicken salad), and still haven't peeked at the Sequel.

Right now, Mom's rather miffed because our insurance company has sent someone to the property to take pictures for unknown reasons. They haven't done this in 40-odd years. She's convinced they're looking for ways to jack up rates or cancel the policy, even though we haven't filed a claim in round about ever.

Will wait until that's done to do anything else.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Right now, Mom's rather miffed because our insurance company has sent someone to the property to take pictures for unknown reasons. They haven't done this in 40-odd years. She's convinced they're looking for ways to jack up rates or cancel the policy, even though we haven't filed a claim in round about ever....
I've never had an insurance company do that. ???

I have had the tax assessor and real estate people doing comps do it, and the Google maps car has been down the street more than once. I don't think my homeowners did that even when I got the original policy.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never had an insurance company do that. ???

I have had the tax assessor and real estate people doing comps do it, and the Google maps car has been down the street more than once. I don't think my homeowners did that even when I got the original policy.

Mom really wishes she'd been the one to talk to the insurance company. As it was, Dad picked up the phone; between his hearing problems and his dementia issues, his reporting of phone conversations these days is iffy at best.

Got my exercise in, now I need to call about the tires. I'm pretty sure no appointment's necessary, but I'd rather it be on the books; calling ahead really saved my tail this winter when I needed studded tires, even though it wasn't strictly necessary. Am hoping to deal with that tomorrow after work. (We're going to Diablo Dam on Sunday, which is way the heck up in the high Cascades, so now seems like a good time to ensure the tires are good.)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
The insurance - it may be a matter of their getting audited and if they haven't seen the property in X amount of years, they need to re-up their eyes on it.

I am getting into my new WIP. About 6300 words in, 2800 of them today.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Me: *have a bunch of ideas I've developed over months or even years*
Me: *no motivation to touch any of them*

Also me: *writes 4k over a few days of something she totally intended to be a throwaway piece for a generic idea*

Motivation is a funn...it's a thing.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
One of Peter Jackson's earlier films was something called Bad Taste. While I don't recommend anybody here watch it, it reminds me how ultimately the violence and whatnot we see in movies is really just a bunch of artists using latex and food coloring. But I totally understand why some violence is over-the-top for some folks.

Today is my Friday. I've already gotten laundry done and now I'm cooling off so I can figure out what I'm doing to do next.

I'm having a hard time finding a call for subs right now. The ones I've found before were a bit too soon for me Now, there's not much out there.

Is anybody here on Tik Tok? I'm addicted to the pet videos. Right now, I've got a thing for smiling dogs.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

Some parts in The Elfstones of Shannara seemed unnecessarily violent too. It bothers me more when the acting isn't up to par.
Yeah, I overall like the movies, and the violence in them is generally riiiiiight on the edge of my personal limits, but there are definitely parts of ROTK I still close my eyes for, that part included.

Gaaah, I wish people would stop commenting on the redness of my eyes. Gee, ya thunk?! :rolleyes It's not like they're swollen or itchy or anything. No really, I hadn't noticed!
:Hug2:

I always felt Tolkien really channeled the horror of the WW trenches there.
Definitely.

Worked on editing more of my long short stories, today. There are ways I'm being successful with it and ways I'm frustrated with it, but progress is progress and I am at least getting some of them tighter.

Also been mulling over how to improve the beginning of my Sleeping Beauty retelling. Something needs to be done because I feel that, as is, it is too similar to parts of my Snow White retelling. The latter parts of both stories are very different, but I don't want it to look like I don't have enough ideas to make the beginnings distinctly different too. I have ideas for said improvements, it's just going to take sitting down and working it out. May do that tomorrow.