The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
That gibes with my thinking. This is his Hail Mary pass against Cancer, and it doesn't end well for him. His gamble poisons the ground (or rather the house), so when my heroes come along and try to do their Ghost busting thing, it's extra poisoned with Tentacle Guy's leavings, so to speak.

I wonder if there wouldn’t be a sour grapes element there too. He’s aware of at least the rumors of horrible consequences, but the world is already horrible for him, so why shouldn’t everybody else share in the misery.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Not a huge Lovecraft fan myself, but you might try reading P. Djeli Clark's The Ballad of Black Tom. It's fairly short (novella length), but would answer your questions from at least one writer's perspective... and, yes, it is dark and it gets rather gory at the climax.

I'm not actually using the Cthulhu Mythos. This will sound weird, but, as a mountain girl -- I've never seen the ocean, and the closest I've gotten to a tentacle is watching chefs cook octopus on YouTube -- his sea-inspired critters mostly just confused me. But I do love the concepts behind them: the existential horror, beings so much scarier than anything the Vatican ever dreamed up, that works for me. That's why the Slenderman stuff clicked so well with me: something that is freaky and dangerous, but can't be explained away by the local priesthood, and can't be driven off, no matter how much holy water you break out. I like that. I wanna play with that.

I'm checking out the novella now.

Pics here. The math art/geometric string art project plus a negative space project that was stashed with it.

My dad said he and his classmates wrote a (fairly simple) sonatina using only math in their Physics of Sound class in college. If you can do music with math, then why not visual art?

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I love that. Your mom was right, it deserves more time on the wall.
Thank you!
I need to figure out how to dust it; not sure how that will work. But I do love seeing it again.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there wouldn’t be a sour grapes element there too. He’s aware of at least the rumors of horrible consequences, but the world is already horrible for him, so why shouldn’t everybody else share in the misery.

In my mind, "sour grapes" isn't quite the term I'd use. He's a terrible man who did terrible things, and he doesn't give a rat's backside what sort of mess this little stunt of his leaves behind. He doesn't care, so long as he gets his, you know?

Oddly enough, in my head he's very sweet and gentle in personality: soft spoken, kind to kids and animals,never swears or drinks, treats his wife like a queen. But if he deems it necessary, he'll stick an ice pick in your ear, and not give it a moment's thought.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
TL, DR: Someone please just knock me out and wake me up sometime on Saturday morning, preferably sans sneezy thing.
*bundles Brightdreamer into a warm blanket with spare hankies and a cup of tea and fires up the -day-clone-for-work-machine*

Question, related to my story: What would drive a man to join a Lovecraftian cult? As in, a cult that's all about horrific nightmare monsters from outside space and time. Can it be called worship if you're sacrificing yourself, your family, your friends, your neighbors, to what? Save yourself from a monstrous fate yourself? To buy some sort of boon, even though you know the bill will eventually come due and you ain't gonna like the interest rate? This has always been my biggest problem with Lovecraft: nobody in their right mind would sign up for that.
I always saw it as a quest about power. Un-dying Eldritch horrors from space have it in spades and followers can acquire bits of it through service and worship. And if you have no power, any source that can give you some is of interest. Power is intoxicating and people do many unthinkable things to obtain it.

Besides, the bill that comes due in the end isn't always advertised at first, or gilded in such a way that it is not understood fully until achieved. And if it is, for some people it is enough to have a little power and be in the employ of a greater evil (and perhaps perish in the interim) than to be powerless from the start and be a agency-less victim regardless. Or some may think themselves clever enough to be able to shift the bill to somebody else to pay. And some may not think about there being a bill at all, just that at the moment, they are on the side of power. If your master is deathless, who knows he may grant you some of that; and in his employ, who has to fear death? But turn away and there will be no one to save you.

Pics here. The math art/geometric string art project plus a negative space project that was stashed with it.
That's cool. If more people knew you could use maths for art, they might like maths more.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Try that power air spray people use on keyboards.

Cool art! Compressed air could work for cleaning. I’d start a ways back at first to be on the safe side, just in case it’s strong enough to cause damage.

Hey I have a question, somebody help me out here. Isn’t there a name for when someone tries to walk in through a keyed entry? Like in an apartment building that has a lock to the common area, one person unlocks it, then someone else tries to walk in behind them without using a key. I was thinking drafting, but that doesn’t seem quite right.

Am I just imagining that there’s a term for this?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I know when I was her age, I FLIPPED when my mom made me and my doll matching dresses. This little girl insisted on wearing her dress to the first day of school on Wednesday. It was so sweet. The first dress was pink and berry (light and dark pink). The one I'm doing now is light and dark blue. There aren't as many patterns for boys, certainly not summer stuff. So I'm thinking making him a hat, scarf, and gloves in this pattern. Though part of me is just DYING to do this one, too.
I'm sure he'll love whichever pattern you make, though I do know some boys close to his age who would get a kick out of the beard. :greenie

Niiiiiiiiice!

Try that power air spray people use on keyboards.
I second this suggestion. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the can so you don't accidentally get any of the coolant liquid inside the can on your artwork. Saying that because my mom's terrible about shaking the air spray cans out of habit and you're not supposed to. :p

Today is Saturday and I'll probably fiddle with that short story some more and then maybe work on adding fall elements to my Etsy banner so that's ready to go when I need it. Otherwise, I'm not sure what exactly I'll do today. I honestly keep meaning to give myself a day off from any "work" type things and then not doing it. Maybe if I can do what I planned for today, tomorrow can be the day off.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Saturday morning, and feeling a little less scuzzy, though there's an edge of crud in the chest to remind me not to push things too far. So hopefully I can have a nice, non-pushy day.

We'll see...

Best get on with it, then. Room tidying up first, then hopefully story progress; between shopping and work exhaustion and dealing with dinner and dishes and staring down the sneezy crud thing, writing just did not happen yesterday. Firin' up the music/background noise, and away I go...

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I just did a wedding for a couple of friends. It was a surprise wedding. They have been together for many years but last week they had to get married for some paperwork so they quickly got a marriage license and let me know. I was the only friend to be there and the bride's grandparents were the only witnesses. Her grandfather had no idea until she showed up at the nursing home wearing a very nice white sundress. She looked great. The grandfather was so happy to be a part of it that it was a lot of fun to see just how much it elevated his spirits and totally made his day.

I can't post anything on FB about it just yet because their other family members have no idea.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Cool art! Compressed air could work for cleaning. I’d start a ways back at first to be on the safe side, just in case it’s strong enough to cause damage.

Hey I have a question, somebody help me out here. Isn’t there a name for when someone tries to walk in through a keyed entry? Like in an apartment building that has a lock to the common area, one person unlocks it, then someone else tries to walk in behind them without using a key. I was thinking drafting, but that doesn’t seem quite right.

Am I just imagining that there’s a term for this?

Oooh, oooh, I ran into this when I was trying to study for a security certification....now what was it?

:sound of papers rustling: Ah, yes. Tailgating. It's not just for traffic jams and football stadiums.

Ohi Cantina. Good things in my life: I made my deadline for the RPG project and am now waiting on phase 2! Bad things in my life: I am in rather a lot of pain, not enough to not be working but enough to be very tempted to call off. A few weeks ago I consulted with the orthopedic surgeon about my hip and he set me up with a steroid injection and a prescription for physical therapy instead of rushing into surgery with it (reasonable, as many people have this issue and no symptoms). The injection helped...for about a week. My PT doctor told me this week I should move my follow-up consult forward as while the strength-building of PT is good for me, it's doing more to aggravate my hip than stabilize it. Drugs do very little; NSAIDs do nothing. I've moved up to extra extra strength acetaminophen labeled for arthritis and it only kinda takes the edge off.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tailgating and also Piggybacking.
In security, piggybacking, similar to tailgating, refers to when a person tags along with another person who is authorized to gain entry into a restricted area, or pass a certain checkpoint.[1] It can be either electronic or physical.[2] The act may be legal or illegal, authorized or unauthorized, depending on the circumstances. However, the term more often has the connotation of being an illegal or unauthorized act.[1]

To describe the act of an unauthorized person who follows someone to a restricted area without the consent of the authorized person, the term tailgating is also used. "Tailgating" implies without consent (similar to a car tailgating another vehicle on the freeway), while "piggybacking" usually implies consent of the authorized person.[3]

Be careful not to OD on the acetaminophen, themindstream. Read those limits on daily dosing they are on the label for a reason. There have been a gazillion pharmacy warnings for us (nurse practitioners). You might try combining the ibuprofen with the tylenol even though you don't think the ibuprofen is doing much. They work by different mechanisms of actions so a combination might be more effective.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
*waves to people*

Saturday evening, and heading into another writing session. That's pretty much what I've been doing all day, so I've actually made some headway. Hoping to wrap this weekend so I get some revision time before the end of the month.

The crud is still at a dull roar. I played it safe/lazy and skipped exercise today, but I won't let myself get away with that tomorrow unless I feel substantially worse. (I know there's evidence that exercise can help get rid of a bug, but when it's sitting in my lungs like it is... besides, I was writing and just plain didn't want to stop, so I gave myself a pass on that.)

Back at it, I guess. Keeping one eye on the window, just in case the Wilson's warbler makes another appearance. (Saw him yesterday in the orchard, which was an unexpected surprise; usually only see them briefly in the spring, not this time of year. They're bright yellow, so they really stand out among our usual brown and gray birds.)

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oooh, oooh, I ran into this when I was trying to study for a security certification....now what was it?

:sound of papers rustling: Ah, yes. Tailgating. It's not just for traffic jams and football stadiums.

Tailgating and also Piggybacking.

Aha, thank you both! Seems like I should have been able to think of that, but I kept getting mentally sidetracked. The links are helpful, too.

I'm sorry you're dealing with pain, mindstream. But that's cool about the RPG project!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
themindstream: Please be careful, as MaeZe said. I'm sorry you're dealing with hip pain like that. Hip pain sucks.

Because I have HBO free this weekend, I'm watching Chernobyl. It's horrifying.

I'm watching the original version of The Village of the Damned. I love this movie and The Children of the Damned sequel.

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Am definitely being strict about the dosage limits on the Acetaminophen; I know going over is one of those "seriously, do not do this" things.

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Nihilistic spite. That's what makes someone go full: ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthugha Fomalhaut n’gha-ghaa naf’lthagn

On the other hand, Jason Guillen's incorporated cult makes you believe it's all wondrous, so it seems like such a great thing. While in reality you're a festering bag of baby Vyyrim.

...If you're lucky.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Hi Cantina. *flops into smibble pile* Ah, weird mood. Bad mood, though. I saved a baby pigeon yesterday, though.

Junely, your guy is clearly not fully in his right mind. He probably has some form of Antisocial Personality Disorder, meaning he doesn't really care about anyone else. He's dying/dead, that's not when you're thinking your clearest and is usually grasping for anything. Who says he's genre-savvy? Crime bosses are probably pretty good at keeping their promises, otherwise it'll get out they're bad for business, and he probably thinks of Cthullu (or your stand-in) in the same terms. And getting a glimpse of those monstrosities is supposed to drive you just a little nuts, so even if he doesn't notice that he's not quite thinking like himself anymore, that doesn't mean he hasn't lost his mind.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday morning, and hoping people are in less pain today.

We have a family Thing this afternoon, so I need to get my hustle on and try finishing off the Sequel story. Will probably need to unravel and reknit this last bit in revisions, but having an ending on the draft would really help. Plus I'd like to have time to do some exercise before the Thing. (The cold thing is largely gone, save a little coughing.)

Off to do a bit more morning websurfing, then back at the story.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
The only reason I found anything was because themindstream posted something I could look for.

But you put in effort to find something and respond, so it still counts. :)

Hi Cantina. *flops into smibble pile* Ah, weird mood. Bad mood, though. I saved a baby pigeon yesterday, though.

Cool, now it can evolve into a pidgeot.

Or wait, if it's a baby is its next evolution to pidgey?