The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sunday morning, and getting woken up and into another day.

We may be meeting relatives today. The phone is ringing now, so I might know soon.

In any event, I need to finish revisions on the Sequel and get that off so I stop overthinking and overpoking the thing. And I need to get some site stuff done. Also exercise. And reading. But first, an allergy pill. No idea what is making the eyes and nose itch this time of year, but something's doing it, and the allergy stuff helped yesterday.

What thrills...

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I overslept for work this morning. I'm not sure if my alarm just didn't go off or if I slept through it. Either way, I was late, and I'll probably get into trouble for it on Monday.

Sleep has been elusive. It's gotten old.

Right now I'm watching football and maybe I'll clean a bit. Cleaning while watching football just seems to work well for me.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mmmeeerrrghhh...

For when a simple "mergh" isn't enough to describe a day.

The relative meeting went decently... for a bit. Then the sibling tripped. Banged up her knee and elbow, tore the only good pants she owns, may have jostled the glasses to the point of needing repair (and the only repair place in the entire half of the state is in a crudtastic place) - and she was supposed to drive Dad to an early morning blood draw tomorrow. This banged up the side that wasn't still sore and stiff from the cyst-thingy-removal last week.

So I have my alarm set for too-the-frell-early o'clock. I'm 90% certain I will have to drive. And if I don't, I can fall back asleep. (And even if I can sleep in, if she needs her glasses repaired, I probably have to drive to do that.)

I already called nuke-your-own dinner.

Right now, I'm just hoping I can finish editing my story and get it subbed. (And that the sibling doesn't have to go in to get looked at - I didn't see it, but it was kind of a hard fall from what I gather.)

Gah...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I wander off to do church and see grandbabies, and y'all just fall asleep! So quiet today!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
90% certainty has risen to about 99.99% certainty... she whacked her knees good. (We don't think she'll have to go in, though; I mean, what could they do anyway?)

Just had to run out to buy extra cold packs, because they seem to have disappeared.

And this wipes me out enough that exercise won't happen tonight, meaning I'll have to double up tomorrow (assuming tomorrow isn't entirely eaten, too.)

Okay, time to attempt revisions. Gotta make the push to get the Sequel out tonight.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I had a very interesting weekend. So probate for my mother's estate FINALLY closed just a few weeks ago (yes, I know, it's been five years. Shades of Bleak House indeed!). The land was split easily, that was handled weeks ago. Not so with the cash. Now, what were the entire cash assets, after everything had been handled?

$29.00

Yep, that's it! Now, how to fairly deal with that vast sum of money, so that each of four sisters gets her fair share?

PIZZA PARTY!!!!

Seriously, Elder Sister bought a pizza with the money, and we hung out at her house all evening. Husbands were NOT invited, and children were discouraged (not that they wanted to listen to a bunch of old farts gossip). 3rd Sister couldn't come because she's in North Carolina, but she gave her blessing on the party so long as we FaceTimed her into the party. Which we did, and it was a lot of fun!

The part I'm proudest of? I walked all the way over to my sister's house; no wheelchair, no stopping halfway to rest, I made it the whole way without help! I was hella out of breath afterwards, but still, go me!

Today we had a guest speaker at church, and she was awesome. Of course dinner afterwards at my mother-in-law's house. The entire family watched from the windows as my four year old grandson spent an hour trying to make friends with a kitten. At one point he was scooting across the yard on his belly so he could approach the kitten without spooking it. It went well, and he was able to pet the little tigger. Then the kitten wanted to follow him home, and that scared him, bless his little heart. It was a world of adorable.

Now I'm home, nursing a headache (sigh), and starting a new shawl. I try to do a shawl a week, give them away as fast as I can make them. It keeps me out of mischief. While I'm crocheting, I'm listening to an audiobook of Thomas Ligotti, who can seriously rock the creepy!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The walk, the pizza party, face time with the distant sister, and the whole kitten-grandson thing, that all sounds so cool!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm disappointed. I've been waiting all week for Ken Burns' Country Music special but so far it's more Peter Coyote (famous sixties voice) narrating history and the incredible country music is in the background. The history's interesting but more Coyote's same old voice and less incredible country music is sad.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
MaeZe - Bummer on the disappointing documentary.

Well, it's too early, and I'm up and showered and will be departing in a while. Am deciding how much I need to take; we have to get there way early to get parking, so I expect to be there for a while. Will probably bring a book as well as the Kindle; sometimes I need to switch off between stories.

Our water heater may be on its last legs, to add to the life pile-on.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yep, that's it! Now, how to fairly deal with that vast sum of money, so that each of four sisters gets her fair share?

PIZZA PARTY!!!!

Seriously, Elder Sister bought a pizza with the money, and we hung out at her house all evening. Husbands were NOT invited, and children were discouraged (not that they wanted to listen to a bunch of old farts gossip). 3rd Sister couldn't come because she's in North Carolina, but she gave her blessing on the party so long as we FaceTimed her into the party. Which we did, and it was a lot of fun!

The part I'm proudest of? I walked all the way over to my sister's house; no wheelchair, no stopping halfway to rest, I made it the whole way without help! I was hella out of breath afterwards, but still, go me!

Today we had a guest speaker at church, and she was awesome. Of course dinner afterwards at my mother-in-law's house. The entire family watched from the windows as my four year old grandson spent an hour trying to make friends with a kitten. At one point he was scooting across the yard on his belly so he could approach the kitten without spooking it. It went well, and he was able to pet the little tigger. Then the kitten wanted to follow him home, and that scared him, bless his little heart. It was a world of adorable.

Now I'm home, nursing a headache (sigh), and starting a new shawl. I try to do a shawl a week, give them away as fast as I can make them. It keeps me out of mischief. While I'm crocheting, I'm listening to an audiobook of Thomas Ligotti, who can seriously rock the creepy!
Yay for pizza, walking, and kittens! I like listening to or watching stuff while I crochet, too. There are some patterns that are complicated enough that I can't have something else going on that needs focus(Looking at *you*, WIP blanket of epic proportions I was unable to get done in time for this year's State Fair), but with most patterns, I need something to keep my brain busy while my hands are busy.

Morning, Cantina. My Sunday went pretty well even with one unexpected surprise in 1st grade Sunday school. Originally, one of the families (whose youngest son we had in class two years ago) had talked about wanting to move their son with Down Syndrome to first grade this year. He's actually the older brother in the family, but his parents have been keeping him in whatever class is more suited to him developmentally instead of forcing him through the grades that match his age when he's not ready for them. We were told about this ahead of time because he has some physical limitations as well as the Down Syndrome, so we teachers just needed to know how best to help him if/when he needs it and such. Last week, though, we were told the parents were taking more time to think about it and he might not actually be with us this year. THIS week, however, they apparently decided to go ahead and put him in our class, which we (my mom and I, because she volunteers, too) only found out about when we got there.

It was a surprise, for sure, but I'm not complaining because not knowing yesterday would be the day he'd join us kept me from being nervous. We've had multiple children on the autism spectrum pass through our class since I started volunteering in 2011, but this is the first child with Down Syndrome, so I'd previously been a little nervous about knowing how best to support him and make sure his experience in our class is a good one. His parents are so sweet, though, and they told us everything we might need to know, like how to handle any behavioral issues, how he's doing with writing, following directions, etc., and all things considered, I think he had a great first day. The other kids were great with him, too, which is always a relief. (Three years ago, we had a child with major behavioral problems in the same class as a child on the autism spectrum and it was SO hard to keep them away from each other. We truly came within inches of the second child having a meltdown one week. I say this just as an example of why I'm so relieved that the other kids in this year's class seem to understand how to be gentle with this little boy.) It will be interesting to see how he does in the weeks to come, but I'm looking forward to getting to know him and the rest of the kids better.

Today will involve writing, hopefully.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Exhausted after a long show weekend.

Friday night setup - 40mph wind gusts are NOT good conditions to set up an art show tent alone in the dark. However, I've got a 4 hour setup and they weren't opening the grounds for vendors in the morning until 7am (show starts at 10), so I had to try. I got it half up, i.e., the top and legs up and the sides on, but didn't telescope the legs up. Instead, I weighted the tent and staked it and prayed. That step normally would have taken me 45 minutes. It took 1.5 hours. Thus very little sleep that night, worried about the tent. Maybe 3-4 hours? Up at 6 am, went to set up, finished only a half hour late.

Saturday - windy windy all day long. After a few gusts messing with my displays, I dropped the sides back down to block most of it - but the wind billowed the sides into my displays. I pulled them in a bit, tied the singing big wooden boxes so they didn't hit my head, lashed the sides to the bottom stabilizing bars... and watched with worry as the tent swayed. However, my tent was in better shape for such weather than most of the EZups out there (mine is a steel Trimline).

Sunday - morning was nice, but the rain and drizzle started at 1 and went on and off all day. Tear down in the rain. 2.5 hour drive home and collapse.

At least I had sales - less than average, but on par with this show.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Thank you all so much for your condolences. It means a lot to me.

Does anyone have any... experience or advice dealing with the anger that comes as part of grieving? I'm currently angry more or less constantly, which is understandable and natural and it's not affecting my behavior too much (so I defenestrated a couple of eggs, big deal), but I just don't know what to do with it.

My brain is made of jelly and I get nothing done on my own accord. Well, not quite true. I'm going to go buy a used guitar from someone in a couple hours. Therapist's orders. It should be a good starter guitar and it comes with a bag. But I can't do the Things That Need Doing and wow, my mom is not good at helping me with that, still can't quite get her head around how that's so difficult for me even though she does understand my brain is currently way more broken than it's ever been. Grief'll do that to ya. I should have bought eggs, I want to throw a few out the window.

Religion0 - You take the time you need to grieve; some things can't be rushed.
As for your mother wanting to write a novel, good for her! If she's open to suggestions, maybe start reading some historical fiction. Nonfiction writing is not the same as fiction writing; she might want to get in the fiction mindset, or she risks her novel becoming a research paper with characters.
Thank you, I am.
I will pass that on to her.

Religion0 - On my budget, I couldn't afford a sweater, let alone a sheep farm... Bummer on things being less than warm and woolly in your stretch of the pasture, though. Ewe'll get through it.
I appreciate any and all sheep puns. I was thinking it'd be a co-op/commune sort of thing, so you wouldn't necessarily need to contribute much.

I did get out this weekend though for a short walk on the Robert Frost Trail, with the new doggo. It is pretty:

amethyst-brook.jpg

Two paths diverged in the wood, and I took the one most traveled by, because less poison ivy.

TBF I kinda live in wilderness, so it's more the new vistas that beckon.
That is gorgeous and I'm jelly.

I'm in...
Awesome.

Can we put the sheep farm near Hobbiton?
Yes. At least within driving distance so we can go on the weekends or put up tourists who might want to go for a daytrip or whatever.

That's something to be hella proud of! Walk and adorable grandson both.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
EFB - Best of luck on the new class!

greendragon - Bummer on the weather issues.

jallenecs - A pizza party sounds like the ideal solution to that situation. (And it's nice to know that other people have issues getting family estates settled in a timely manner; it's been five years since Grandpa passed, and the uncle/executor is still dealing with crud. Part of it's a string of bad lawyers and iffy advice, but part of it is squarely on him for dragging his feet.)

Back from Dad's appointment. He nailed his INR number, so we shouldn't have to do that for a while. Also hit a grocery store. Actually, we parked and walked in to shop at the grocery store; you wouldn't believe how snippy the managers get when you actually hit the store, and the cops are just unbelievable... ;)

The sibling's doing somewhat better, though her knees are still not happy and she's still rather store. Nothing got worse overnight, though, so we figure it's just general bumps and bruises and not something that needs medical attention. (And would you quit with the frellin' update push, Quicktime/iTunes? Gah...)

And I'm still kinda tired, but I need to get moving on story stuff. Want that dealt with before lunch.

Away I meander.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for pizza, walking, and kittens! I like listening to or watching stuff while I crochet, too. There are some patterns that are complicated enough that I can't have something else going on that needs focus(Looking at *you*, WIP blanket of epic proportions I was unable to get done in time for this year's State Fair), but with most patterns, I need something to keep my brain busy while my hands are busy.

Me it's either audiobooks or documentaries/videos on YouTube. Stuff that's interesting and/or doesn't require me to look at it for anything. Sometimes Let's Plays, but they require too much visual attention. I hear tell some people can actually watch TV while they work, but I'm not one of those people, I already have enough headaches in my life without adding an eyestrain one to the mix.

I LOVE SOPHIE'S UNIVERSE!!!! I did a Sophie's Garden back when I was first starting. All white. Lo, the many MANY errors I made. I only got it to baby blanket size, so I gave it to one of the ladies in our church when she had her daughter. I want to do another one, and go the full way, now that I know a little better what I'm doing.

Right now I've got these two Jacarandas going for Christmas presents:
70693547_3034995826726593_7670584438425649152_n.jpg

I'm doing them simultaneously, obviously, 4-weight yarn, 6mm hook. I do about two rows a day on each, and I'm doing them at the same time because it's easier to learn each row's process once and do it twice, rather than trying to do all of one, and then learn them all over again for the second piece. I'm just past the halfway point on the pattern. I've briefly paused on them because I ran out of light purple and can't get to the store to get more. The left one is for my friend, because she loves purple. The one on the right is for my son's girlfriend, who loves blue and green. He tells me they're getting pretty serious, so I want to be Supportive Mom.

Our water heater may be on its last legs, to add to the life pile-on.

Hubby says changing out a water heater isn't terribly complicated. But it is an awkward and annoying one. Good luck!

jallenecs - A pizza party sounds like the ideal solution to that situation. (And it's nice to know that other people have issues getting family estates settled in a timely manner; it's been five years since Grandpa passed, and the uncle/executor is still dealing with crud. Part of it's a string of bad lawyers and iffy advice, but part of it is squarely on him for dragging his feet.)

We had a great lawyer, an old friend of my brother in law. Our problem was the land. We had to have a new survey done, and surveyors are super expensive. Part of it was the deed. It dates back to yon, and had not been updated in forever. It was written in the old way -- "go south until you reach the walnut tree, then go east for a hundred paces" that sort of thing, "metes and bounds" I'm told it's called -- and the surveyor had to update it to modern GPS terms, which added to the job and the cost.

Added to that, the survey had to divide things up. Four sisters, four equal shares, right? No. Elder Sister only got a fraction of her original piece, because she'd received part of her birthright early so she could build a house. I got slightly less acreage because mine was the only piece that had been "improved" (I got Mom's house). Younger Sisters both got the same size, but land ain't like Lego, nothing's quite as even and balanced as you would wish. So it was basically a pain in the butt.

One funny bit on that. To get this process started, my sister had to go to the court house to look at the original titles and such. They keep all those things in enormous bound books, hundreds of them, numbered by volume. She goes in, and says, "I need to see such-and-thus title." The clerk says, "Okay, what's the volume number?" Sister says, "Volume One." Record scratch. The clerk didn't believe her, that our title was in the very first volume, but it was true. The clerk was impressed, as was I. I knew we'd been here a while, but day-umm!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jallenecs - Oddly enough, a house deed is part of the current holdup for Grandpa's estate. As in nobody can find the deed to the house, and it wasn't in the safe deposit box where it probably should have been. It's always something...

It's lunchtime, and I finally - finally! - sent the blasted Sequel out the metaphoric door. Gah, that took way, way too long... and it's way, way too bloated... but it's done so I need to stop poking at it.

Time to eat, and maybe watch something. Then I need to exercise and watch something (it's foot pedal day, and foot pedaling goes better if I'm watching something.)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Me it's either audiobooks or documentaries/videos on YouTube. Stuff that's interesting and/or doesn't require me to look at it for anything. Sometimes Let's Plays, but they require too much visual attention. I hear tell some people can actually watch TV while they work, but I'm not one of those people, I already have enough headaches in my life without adding an eyestrain one to the mix.

I LOVE SOPHIE'S UNIVERSE!!!! I did a Sophie's Garden back when I was first starting. All white. Lo, the many MANY errors I made. I only got it to baby blanket size, so I gave it to one of the ladies in our church when she had her daughter. I want to do another one, and go the full way, now that I know a little better what I'm doing.

Right now I've got these two Jacarandas going for Christmas presents:
70693547_3034995826726593_7670584438425649152_n.jpg

I'm doing them simultaneously, obviously, 4-weight yarn, 6mm hook. I do about two rows a day on each, and I'm doing them at the same time because it's easier to learn each row's process once and do it twice, rather than trying to do all of one, and then learn them all over again for the second piece. I'm just past the halfway point on the pattern. I've briefly paused on them because I ran out of light purple and can't get to the store to get more. The left one is for my friend, because she loves purple. The one on the right is for my son's girlfriend, who loves blue and green. He tells me they're getting pretty serious, so I want to be Supportive Mom.
I watch TV and movies all the time while I crochet. It probably slows down my progress a little, but seems to keep me from getting eyestrain by making me look up now and then since it's looking at something closeup too long that strains my eyes fastest.

Ooooh, I can understand how it would be hard to do Sophie's Universe in all white. It's challenging enough with all the colors! I'm doing mine in different colors than the options the designer mentions, but it's still pretty colorful.

20190619-175129-opt.jpg

I got to Part 8, Row 62 (*almost* halfway through) when I took a break to get some scarves done for my shop, but those are listed now and once I get 3 baby blankets restocked I'll be getting back to Sophie, and I WILL get it done in time for the 2020 State Fair! After that... My original intention was to sell the finished product in my shop because I wasn't sure what to do with a blanket this size, not to mention the yarn cost a pretty penny. But... now that I've reached this point, I realize this is truly the most complicated pattern I've ever done, I'm proud of it, and I don't know that I'll be able to bear parting ways with it. I may just have to clear some room on a wall and display it as a hanging. Now that I think of it, since we've ditched the treadmill, there's plenty of room for it on that wall. Hmm...

Beautiful! That sounds like a sensible way to do two blankets at once. I hope your giftees love them!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I watch TV and movies all the time while I crochet. It probably slows down my progress a little, but seems to keep me from getting eyestrain by making me look up now and then since it's looking at something closeup too long that strains my eyes fastest.

Ooooh, I can understand how it would be hard to do Sophie's Universe in all white. It's challenging enough with all the colors! I'm doing mine in different colors than the options the designer mentions, but it's still pretty colorful.

20190619-175129-opt.jpg

I got to Part 8, Row 62 (*almost* halfway through) when I took a break to get some scarves done for my shop, but those are listed now and once I get 3 baby blankets restocked I'll be getting back to Sophie, and I WILL get it done in time for the 2020 State Fair! After that... My original intention was to sell the finished product in my shop because I wasn't sure what to do with a blanket this size, not to mention the yarn cost a pretty penny. But... now that I've reached this point, I realize this is truly the most complicated pattern I've ever done, I'm proud of it, and I don't know that I'll be able to bear parting ways with it. I may just have to clear some room on a wall and display it as a hanging. Now that I think of it, since we've ditched the treadmill, there's plenty of room for it on that wall. Hmm...

Beautiful! That sounds like a sensible way to do two blankets at once. I hope your giftees love them!

SOOOOOOO PRETTY!!! See, this is my problem. I'm on a crochet sub on Reddit, and the same thing happens there, too. I see pretty project and it's, "Oh, Me Want!" and it lands on my future projects mountain. It doesn't grow as fast as my Books to Read mountain, but I can whittle down the book pile faster, at least.

Daughter and I talked about doing an Etsy shop, but it's a ton of work, and we're not sure we're ready to jump into that yet.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. I know a guy who learned in prison and during the holidays he does special requests on the side for cash. It's profitable for him. I've also wanted to learn how to knit so I can make myself a Doctor Who scarf.

Work was dreadful today and I'm feeling very vegetative now. I'm catching up on Killjoys and then I'll see what I'll do next.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to learn how to crochet. I know a guy who learned in prison and during the holidays he does special requests on the side for cash. It's profitable for him. I've also wanted to learn how to knit so I can make myself a Doctor Who scarf.

Work was dreadful today and I'm feeling very vegetative now. I'm catching up on Killjoys and then I'll see what I'll do next.

There are lots of videos on YouTube to walk you through the beginnings. There are surprisingly few stitches to learn; the fancy stuff like the above photos comes from lining up those four or five stitches in the right sequence.

And as far as Dr. Who is concerned, I'll make you one if you want. I've always wanted one myself. Just PM me for deets.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
There are lots of videos on YouTube to walk you through the beginnings. There are surprisingly few stitches to learn; the fancy stuff like the above photos comes from lining up those four or five stitches in the right sequence.

And as far as Dr. Who is concerned, I'll make you one if you want. I've always wanted one myself. Just PM me for deets.

That is so sweet!

The BBC actually came out with instructions for fans to make their own. I thought that was sweet. There are a few sites online that go into detail about it, too.

I'm off to look for a call for submission to send a short story to. I seem to work well doing things that way. If I just write a story and then look for a market, it just doesn't turn out well.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Does anyone have any... experience or advice dealing with the anger that comes as part of grieving? I'm currently angry more or less constantly, which is understandable and natural and it's not affecting my behavior too much (so I defenestrated a couple of eggs, big deal), but I just don't know what to do with it.

I don’t have an answer, but I can definitely relate. Suppressed rage a pretty common state of being for me last year. I tried to be aware when it was happening and delay responding when possible. That was when I ended up dropping out of AW for a long while (which actually didn’t really help).

So, that probably wasn’t helpful in the slightest. I think it’s not an unusual reaction to grief, though.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I don't wanna go back to work. Don't wanna. Can't I just stay on permanent vacation and still get paid? *sigh*

Final weekend of vacation was great. Too short, but great. I ended up getting home about 2:30 in the morning Friday/Saturday after encountering a four hour detour in South Dakota because I-90 and the entire surrounding area was flooded west of Sioux Falls. If any of you have family out in that direction, my heart goes out to them. While I was sitting there grumbling after spending an hour encountering flooded after flooded road and becoming desperate wondering how I was going to get home...I realized that there must be so many homes flooded to the gills :/ It was awful.

So, I ended up with a rather interesting detour into the boonies of South Dakota, but I was bound and determined to get home. Saturday night, I went to a Janet Jackson concert because a friend had an extra ticket. It. Was. Awesome. So many songs that transported me back 20 years - we had a glorious time, even when my adult beverage got dumped all over my pants and shoes by a less than considerate person who was constantly going to and from her seat. It was mostly empty so not a huge deal and I'd worn clothes that I was okay getting adult beverages dumped on anyway because outdoor concert - to be expected. My reaction: "welp, you called that one on the shoes!" to my friend. :greenie

Yesterday, I hung out with my brothers for a bit, cleaned my tent, stopped in at the new retail gig I'm doing part time for some extra fun cash to check on my schedule, and then went to a late movie. All procrastinating on the pile of trip stuff from the car sitting in my entry way that I, uh, am STILL putting away *hangs head*

Today ended up being a lot of errands, car and financial related. Another car bill *yay* but I had to replaced cracked headlamp covers...and that turned out not to be cheap. Blergh. *sigh* I swear there's a little gremlin that sniffs out whenever I start my quest to rebuild my long-term emergency savings. Damn gremlins.

I ended the day with testing out a new kickboxing studio. It was intense. I really enjoyed it. I get two weeks to test it out, but I'm getting good vibes from this one. The instructors are all amateur and pro fighters and they really know their stuff, but are very patient with folks like me who suck at throwing an elbow jab (I can kick the crap out of someone all day, let me tell you, but elbow jabs? still trying to figure out the right coordination on that one). Oh how I'm going to be sore in the morning...right in time to go back to work. >.<

And now, I'm trying to mostly tackle the remaining pile in the entry, then retire to read an awesome romance, published by one of our very own AW writers. It is hilarious and I'm enjoying it immensely. Because there's a guy dressed up as a pirate...yes, yes.

One guy thinks my poor people living in a ghetto apartment should have weapons and gang bangers (they don't) and that the rich guy courting my MC should send a car around to pick her up.

That seems like a very bad critique, regardless of YAness. And, tbh, like it's founded on a fair bit of racism/classism.

Ditto to what Zanz said, Maeze. That was precisely my reaction upon reading your critiquer's suggestion.

Thank you all so much for your condolences. It means a lot to me.

Does anyone have any... experience or advice dealing with the anger that comes as part of grieving?
First, :Hug2:

I don’t have an answer, but I can definitely relate. Suppressed rage a pretty common state of being for me last year. I tried to be aware when it was happening and delay responding when possible. That was when I ended up dropping out of AW for a long while (which actually didn’t really help).

So, that probably wasn’t helpful in the slightest. I think it’s not an unusual reaction to grief, though.

Second, again, what JJ said. I, too, can definitely relate as that was also most of my state for the past year into a good part of this year - grieving aka sad then mad then denial then mad again then sad then on the path toward acceptance slammed back into anger followed by a good 'nother dash of denial, etc. The hard part is sometimes in the grieving process, you think you're over the anger part and on to acceptance, then you dive back into anger again. It's kind of a two steps forward, one giant step backward scenario at times. The important thing is self care and to be good to yourself. Healing from grief takes time. And heck, if throwing some eggs makes your day a little better, well go throw some eggs! (Just not at things that would get you in trouble.)

It takes time.

But extra emphasis on the self care and being kind to yourself.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Monday night, and got another book read and reviewed. Between that and sending out a story, it's been reasonably productive day. (On the minus side, I'm snacking a little too much again. Need to cut that back and kick up the exercise a little, I think.)

I'm already looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

Off I meander.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Such lovely work, jallen!

For listening pleasure - I've become addicted to podcasts. There are some fantastic ones out there. My current favorites are the History of English and the History Chix. I even made a list of my faves!

When I bought my first house in Gainesville, FL, we got the deed book, which had all the deeds going back to the first owners of the land... which was a Spanish explorer who had been granted that tract of land by the King of Spain in the 1500s! Other owners included a Mayor of Cuba. So cool.

I got a cortisone shot in my heel yesterday. First time for that. Delightful experience (not) but it should help keep down the pain, I hope. Heel spurs suck.