The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
You get totes?
Back in the day when I worked in a library, we had to use liquor boxes, picked up from a nearby liquor store!
A steady stream of innocent, underage, teenage girl pages would walk into the store for box pick-up, to be greeted by the same smart-ass at the back of the store:
"I know what you're here for!" he would trill, as we hunched our shoulders in shame, hoping that everyone would realize that we were only there for the empty boxes.
Recycling? We invented recycling!

Yeah, yeah - and all the books were stone tablets, and you had to walk ten miles in the snow to every branch, uphill both ways, barefoot... ;)

We have totes because it's what the machinery was designed to use. (See also the video I posted a while back.) We used to have a stash of extras in a different color, but I think they got rid of those for unknown reasons.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Liquor boxes are awesome to use for a lot of things. They're built stronger because a dozen bottles of hooch are heavy. I loved getting those whenever I moved.

My neighbor hooked me up with some spaghetti squash. And some fresh peppers, basil, and rosemary. I know exactly what to do with those.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
:Hug2:

And extra :Hug2:for anyone else in need of such.

I've been a state of almost total overwhelm for so long that I'm not sure I can remember what it feels like to *not* be overwhelmed. And I don't see any way that this is going to get better any soon.

Ice cream has become a survival necessity, lacking any better longer-term options.

I wish I was able to help. Sometimes, when I'm overwhelmed, the certain knowledge that this IS temporary helps me get through it.

Hugs to you, too zanz. :Hug2:

Right? I don’t know if I’d even be capable of figuring out what to do if I did have spare time.

If I have spare time, I wrack my brain to figure out what I've forgotten.

LOL, I think all crafters have that problem. XD I have the yarn set aside for two sweaters whose patterns I've had since 2012. I've determined I'm getting at least one of them made this winter, though, even if I have to alternate it with working on the Sophie blanket.

That's a wise choice to wait. I've seen too many sellers start a shop because everyone around them said they should, only to end up quitting later because they weren't ready for the commitment or just plain didn't plan ahead far enough. If and when you do think you might want to open a shop, be sure you read the Seller Handbook, the link to which can be found under "Sell" at the bottom of Etsy's homepage. You'd be amazed how many people don't know it exists but there's lots of info in it about how Etsy works.

And for the love of all that is beautiful be VERY DISCERNING if you look at the Etsy forums. Sometimes you can get good advice there, and Etsy admins post info about site updates and such in the Announcements area, but unfortunately, it's also become a semi-negative place where rumors fly with little fact to back it up. I've stopped bothering to look at anything there besides the announcements because I got tired of feeling like I couldn't ask a question without getting a dose of negativity along with the more helpful answers...*if* I got helpful answers. Since I still need advice now and then, I searched around and discovered a lovely lady named Starla Moore who has a YouTube channel with Etsy seller advice as well as her FB group called the "Handmade Alpha Facebook Community" where you can ask for advice sans the negativity. You can even join the group before you have a shop. The members are more than willing advise you during the process of creating a shop so you can start strong. I've gone to them for advice more than once and they haven't failed me yet.

BHooked Crochet & Knitting on YouTube has both knit and crochet tutorials that I've learned a lot from. https://www.youtube.com/user/bhookedcrochet

Re the Doctor Who scarf, I've always found it hilarious that it's so long because the woman they hired to make it thought she was supposed to use ALL the yarn. So she did. :p

New words didn't happen yesterday, but I did get some beta readers on board for my short story. I really, Really, REALLY need to go open my dang document and force myself to confront the place I'm stuck on, so like I did last week, I'm saying here that I'm getting offline now and will not be back on until well after lunch. (Hey, it worked last time!)

I have so many pics of beading ideas I want to play with. I have files of them.

Don't you just love it when you get to the exciting bit of the story, and instead of having to struggle for the words, you suddenly can't type fast enough to keep up? Love that part!

That's being IN THE ZONE. It's amazing. Usually I can get IN THE ZONE near the end of a novel, with small appearances through the rest of the book. This book I'm on now? The ninth in the series? Has been 90% zone. I did 4575 words today. I've done 50,000 in the last month even with taking a week off writing to attend Dragoncon. My Project Completion Compulsion has kicked into overdrive because it's the final book in the series, and I have two shiny new projects to dangle as a carrot when I'm done.

Finished! My first short story since before my mother died. It's not a great piece of work, but it's finished, and I know i can still do it.

Woohoo! Just knowing you still can is an amazing balm.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ted - I'm sure your spaghetti squash-based warbeast, complete with pepper gun and herbal armor, will soon conquer us all! ... That is what you were going to make with those ingredients, right?

greendragon - Hooray for story progress!

Later the same Wednesday, and chilling after dinner and dishes (well, most of the dishes - there's always more that turn up the moment I leave the kitchen.) Should do some site stuff - I'm in the middle of another quick maintenance sweep/graveyard check (I pull reviews for books that aren't available anymore and stick them in a review graveyard for posterity.) Then I might read or watch some Netflix or otherwise drift lazily through the evening until bedtime.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:Hug2: for all those dealing with crappy stuff.

Finished! My first short story since before my mother died. It's not a great piece of work, but it's finished, and I know i can still do it.
:e2woo:

You get totes?
Back in the day when I worked in a library, we had to use liquor boxes, picked up from a nearby liquor store!
A steady stream of innocent, underage, teenage girl pages would walk into the store for box pick-up, to be greeted by the same smart-ass at the back of the store:
"I know what you're here for!" he would trill, as we hunched our shoulders in shame, hoping that everyone would realize that we were only there for the empty boxes.
I love this story. XD

Ted - I'm sure your spaghetti squash-based warbeast, complete with pepper gun and herbal armor, will soon conquer us all! ... That is what you were going to make with those ingredients, right?.
I like spaghetti squash... *prepares self for battle with fork and knife as weaponry*

Re the earlier talk of THE ZONE: I was there back in July. This month? Not so much. Progress is being made but boy is it slow. The first of the beta feedback on my short story was helpful, at least, even if I'm going to have to think about how to implement it without pushing the word count higher. It'll be interesting to see what second beta thinks.

Meanwhile in epic fantasy WIP land, I was extremely stuck for the past few days but think I had a breakthrough today. Tomorrow I will be writing the scene that came with said breakthrough. Even though it was completely not part of the plan (at least as much plan as I ever have) it seems to be what's needed. I'm at the point in the story where my outline literally says, "Soooo much story needs to go here!" so I really need to just roll with what my brain gives me and keep things moving forward sans any self rejectionif the new ideas that are flowing in. After all, I can't edit a blank page! *writes this slogan on a smibble and sets smibble where she can see it while writing*

ETA: My MC probably doesn't appreciate that this scene involves someone trying to kill her. Again.

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My neighbor hooked me up with some spaghetti squash. And some fresh peppers, basil, and rosemary. I know exactly what to do with those.

I love spaghetti squash! I only had it for the first time this summer. One of the men in our church fancies himself an amateur chef, and I'm willing to agree with him! He made some sort of quasi-vegan lentil/spaghetti squash marinara bake thingie for our Wednesday potluck. That stuff was DELICIOUS! I particularly liked how light and fresh the texture was, compared to pasta (with the Crohn's, I have to watch my pasta intake, sometimes it doesn't sit well).

So I've enjoyed my afternoon of triumph over the short story, well deserved, I think. But the short story was only a proof of concept for my hero, would his voice happen in my head, if that makes any sense. I still have the longer piece (I don't think it's going to be novel length, but definitely longer than the 9K-ish the short story turned out to be). I had it about 1/3 outlined before I needed to test my hero. Tomorrow, I get back to outlining.

In other news, I have lost a ball of yarn! I bought two skeins of this gorgeous mauve. I've used up one, and the other has done a runner, and me only a couple hours from finishing this shawl! Arrrgh! And I can't even blame the cat; she fancies herself an outdoor cat during the summer (too cold in the winter, she wants back in).

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday morning, cool and misty, and getting ready to head out to work. Hopefully I won't have to shop my way home again, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Need to get another story started, I suppose. Maybe this weekend, when I'm not wiped out from work.

Eh, well... will probably read until it's time to leave.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog - I think it's time to consult a vulcanologist about those persistent eye volcanoes... best of luck with the latest round of meds!
Goodness no, what if they want to take samples?! *shudder* My eyes have been prodded enough, with ether even, don't need no geologist hammers anywhere near them!

I, a sound-oriented imagination, have train sounds in my ears, trying to imagine seriously scary stuff. Yeah, you can guess the rest. Middle of the morning, beautiful sunshine streaming in the windows, and I managed to spook myself. :scared:The dog suddenly jumped down off the sofa, and I jumped plumb out of my skin!
:roll: I've done that to myself too.

You get totes?
:roll:Reminds me of my sis who worked for a medical company and was allowed to use left-over boxes and tape from work when she moved. The movers took a little convincing, though, when asked to pick up several boxes taped with bright tape saying 'Attention! medical waste!'

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:s to everyone who wants them and needs them. I've been putting myself under way too much pressure with writing as usual, and that hasn't exactly taken a healthy toll on me. I'm realizing the root of the problem there, but old habits die hard—even when you realize they're doing nothing good whatsoever for you anyway.

Still debating what to focus on writing-wise for the rest of this month and October. And I want the 22nd to get here sooner, just to get Sequel Solstice-related anxieties out of the way.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
ARRRRGH!!! I'm overthinking things again! I've been a plotter for so long, it's hard to shake it off. I need to pants it a few times, learn to trust my instincts.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lily, I'm sorry you've got so much anxiety. I hope you're able to diffuse the anxiety somehow. Like with walking, or meditation, or even other chores. Whatever it takes to give your mind a break.

Junely, pantsing it can be a lot of fun if you give it a shot sometime. I do that with short stories.

Right now, I'm working on leaving my apartment. It's not something I find easy but it's something that needs to be done.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I’m back to feeling like I can get through this. I mean, it’s still a shit ton of work, but I’ll handle it.

:box: You totally got this!

Hafta talk to my manager tomorrow about how his constant 140 decibel verbal abuse is edging towards physical abuse, and that's just gonna be peaches.

Ouch. Is HR aware of this? (I recognize sometimes that opens more cans of worms than it closes..)

Congrats!

You know, a friend and I are going to both write a short story for a call for subs I found a bit ago. I'd been looking for something to write for and I found one. It's a small press and won't pay crap, but it's something worth doing and the process alone will help me get back into writing shape.

Eh, sometimes I think of the inspirati

Oh, and I churned the sweet corn with cinnamon ice cream. Despite my screw-ups, it tastes amazing, so I might keep the footage and use it after all. I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, when I'm overwhelmed, the certain knowledge that this IS temporary helps me get through it.

LOL it's the increasingly apparent lack of "temporary" that's getting to me. I figure I'll stubborn my way through as always, but some day I might just spontaneously & utterly dissolve into dust like a Buffy vampire.

:Hug2:s to everyone who wants them and needs them. I've been putting myself under way too much pressure with writing as usual, and that hasn't exactly taken a healthy toll on me. I'm realizing the root of the problem there, but old habits die hard—even when you realize they're doing nothing good whatsoever for you anyway.

The struggle is real. But you can do this.

ARRRRGH!!! I'm overthinking things again! I've been a plotter for so long, it's hard to shake it off. I need to pants it a few times, learn to trust my instincts.

I firmly believe that plotters should force themselves to pants through a project at least once in their career, and vice versa. As frustrating as it can be, it also makes a lot of things apparent in terms of our creative processes that otherwise are too easy to take for granted.

Uh. That's enough multiquote. Back to work!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I've just realized how drastically my WIP has evolved over the years. The first draft, which was actually finished, is vastly different from what the story is in my mind. Problem is, when does it ever stop changing, or do you just have to put your foot down and say enough is enough? For the most part, I like where it's at now.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've just realized how drastically my WIP has evolved over the years. The first draft, which was actually finished, is vastly different from what the story is in my mind. Problem is, when does it ever stop changing, or do you just have to put your foot down and say enough is enough? For the most part, I like where it's at now.

I think it eventually reaches a point where all you're doing is fiddling with little bits, and unless those little bits are actually important, it's time to give it a final polish. Preferably after getting some feedback from beta readers, to spot any issues you may have missed.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog;10586403 :roll:Reminds me of my sis who worked for a medical company and was allowed to use left-over boxes and tape from work when she moved. The movers took a little convincing said:
Yeah, I would have thought twice about picking those up. Or taking deep breaths near them. And, it's funny what you get used to when you deal with it everyday - I'll bet she and her boss never even considered that problem.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I firmly believe that plotters should force themselves to pants through a project at least once in their career, and vice versa. As frustrating as it can be, it also makes a lot of things apparent in terms of our creative processes that otherwise are too easy to take for granted.

Uh. That's enough multiquote. Back to work!

My problem with pantsing is that I constantly feel like I'm missing opportunities, that I've gone wrong somewhere and that'll ruin the whole story. I'm afraid I'll write myself into a corner and be stuck there. I end up psyching myself out on anything longer than a short story.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
LadyV - As lilywhite said, when you're just rearranging sentences and adding then deleting then re-adding the same words, when you're not tangibly improving the end product, that's when you're done and it's time to walk away.

jallenecs - There's nothing wrong with not being able to pants longer than a short. (It does help to remember that nothing you write is ultimately sacred beyond rewriting. Anything you create, you can delete at will. Anything you lose, you can rewrite better. Any wrong turn can be made right... and some wrong turns lead to better destinations than the original map.)

Thursday evening, dinner done, dishes washed, trash put out and ready to drive down tomorrow morning. Need to do some quick evening spitballing to keep the habit up, then I'll wander off to read before bed. (The book I'm reading... it's moving fast, I'll grant it that, and it has some very imaginative things going on, but I'm getting a feeling that it's deliberately stalling because the big reveal might have been been telegraphed in the first couple chapters. I do hope I'm wrong, though the only other book I've read by this author had a rather blatant telegraph issue on one major plot point, too. I'm still turning pages, at least, though I'm sorta feeling like I want to get to the end to see if I'm right or not rather than just enjoying the scenery along the way, if that makes any sense.)

Will probably have to shop on the way home. If I do, I'll probably grab lunch again, because long and tiring work week. Might even splurge on a Potbelly sandwich; will see how the stars align.

Last edited:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My problem with pantsing is that I constantly feel like I'm missing opportunities, that I've gone wrong somewhere and that'll ruin the whole story. I'm afraid I'll write myself into a corner and be stuck there. I end up psyching myself out on anything longer than a short story.

I like writing myself into a corner. That's where the stories get their real twists and turns. Because if you don't know how they'll get out of that mess, I promise you the reader doesn't, either. That's when you can really get inventive. But then again, it's also how Deus Ex Machina can get abused.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy moly the city traffic tonight was insane! I can't imagine what the Christmas traffic is going to be like.

Huge apartment buildings and towering offices have been going up right and left for several years. I knew it was coming, it's been building for awhile. Gridlock in multiple intersections, waiting through three lights to get through the intersection. I live two miles from city hall. It took me 20 minutes to get there.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My kids think it's funny when I spend too much time sorting out the menu for a dinner that only my characters will eat in a single scene. I find the food interesting, and I think the food a character eats says something about him. Maybe it doesn't say a LOT, but it does say something. Besides, it's fun dreaming up menus.

But I will grant it is a strange thing to do for somebody who has spent the last five years battling my own body over food. :tongue

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My kids think it's funny when I spend too much time sorting out the menu for a dinner that only my characters will eat in a single scene. I find the food interesting, and I think the food a character eats says something about him. Maybe it doesn't say a LOT, but it does say something. Besides, it's fun dreaming up menus.

But I will grant it is a strange thing to do for somebody who has spent the last five years battling my own body over food. :tongue

It's great world-building though. BTW, I make sure I know my characters' favorite food and least favorite food by heart

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday morning, and woke up wishing I could've taken time off, but we're too short staffed for that to happen any time soon.

Mergh.

Looks gray and dismal out there.

Guess I'll do Something Else until it's time to leave for work.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

It's funny... I enjoy reading stories where the author thought of details like specifying the food a character eats in a scene, but feel like I stink at bringing that level of detail to my own stories.

Afternoon, Cantina. Boy, it's feeling like fall this week! The past two mornings I've had to wear a jacket out to play with da lab mix pup and sometimes need one to take da beagle out in the evening. The coolness is also giving da lab pup enough energy for puppy explosions in which she runs wide circles around me and mom's flower garden at full speed while I pretend to try to catch her when she gets close. I like that kind of puppy explosion because, for one thing, it's fun, and it's also much less effort from me than for her and she gets lots of energy off doing it.

In further animal news, we were able to take both pups for a walk on Wednesday and saw a white squirrel. Like, actually covered in bright white fur. We've been to that park multiple times and never seen it before, but it's full grown and doesn't seem anymore bothered by people than the rest of the squirrels there do. It was a surprise, but a fun and beautiful surprise. I hope it sticks around and maybe we'll see it again.

Okay, I'm late getting started on the writing today, so need to get on to that. But after lunch, because I'm starving.