AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I sold a short story! :banana:

That's awesome, JJ! Congrats! Woot!

Hope all are well.

I'm trying to get my hip loosened up enough to go to the gas station for caffeine. Supposedly we've got some storms rolling in and I'm looking forward to them. Does anybody else write better when they have rain or storms?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I sold a short story! :banana:
:hooray:

I finished the first draft of my urban fantasy novel!
:Trophy:

Evening, Cantina. The excitement today was a visit by a random, yellow lab who decided he liked our front porch. Really big dog. He had to be 100lbs at least, but seemed very friendly. He also knows how doors work because he'd look at me through the window, wag his tail, then go to the door and nudge the doorknob with his nose. Obviously we didn't let him in, but if we had he probably would have just chilled out on the couch or something. Well... if da black lab mix hadn't torn him up. She was barking at him through the window with her hackles up and tail wagging at the same time, LOL. We called animal control because yellow lab didn't seem to want to leave and we couldn't take either of our dogs out with a strange dog out there, friendly or not. But of course they didn't show up until an hour after he did leave. He had a collar so hope he gets back home okay.

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
I have been so excited that my four-year-old granddaughter has come up to see me. I haven't seen her since Christmas, which doesn't sound like much, but I raised her for the first three years of her life before I moved away. I never quite realize how old I am until I have her for a week. She is so much to handle for an old guy who spends most of his time writing at his computer desk. she's my best little buddy and I enjoy so much of my time with her so it's worth it. I just wish I had a tenth of her energy. With this quarantine though, there isn't much to take her to on this visit. I can't wait for this virus to disappear so that things can get back to normal.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have been so excited that my four-year-old granddaughter has come up to see me. I haven't seen her since Christmas, which doesn't sound like much, but I raised her for the first three years of her life before I moved away. I never quite realize how old I am until I have her for a week. She is so much to handle for an old guy who spends most of his time writing at his computer desk. she's my best little buddy and I enjoy so much of my time with her so it's worth it. I just wish I had a tenth of her energy. With this quarantine though, there isn't much to take her to on this visit. I can't wait for this virus to disappear so that things can get back to normal.

I hope the visit goes well. Just seeing people who are important to us can be magical.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, my morning has been just lovely. Sometime last night, da beagle jumped off my bed and had another poo incident on my floor. I must have been sound asleep and dreaming because I didn't even know he'd gotten down until I woke up at one point and saw him asleep in the corner. I sure didn't hear his collar jingling while he moved around. It wasn't until my alarm went off that I got up and wondered what the brown blobs were. Oddly enough, it also didn't fill the room with stink, at least not until I disturbed it by cleaning it up, at which point... *gag* I'm thinking this has to be the fault of the new kibble the beagle is on as that's the only thing about his diet that's changed. We didn't want to put him on a new kibble but the store didn't have the grain free version of the kibble brand we usually give him, and we were down to the last dregs of kibble, so we went with a grain free kibble in a different brand and I think it's just not working for him.

Bonus points, when I went to pick out a shirt for today, there was one of those black jumping spiders in my drawer! *twitches and squirms endlessly*

ION: The local electric company sent an automated call yesterday saying there would be low-flying helicopters in the area soon because they're using them to inspect the lines. Dad's super unhappy about it and has written emails to tell them not to be flying a helicopter low over our house and if they want to inspect the lines like that they can use a drone with a camera or something. Don't know if they'll actually listen or not, but if they don't, I'm sure we'll (me and mom) get to hear the constant griping until it's over.

In more positive news, the local owls have been nearby the past couple nights and being very chatty. If I know my owl calls, I'm pretty sure it's our barred owls that cleared out the mole infestation we had under the yard a few years ago. (And also had a bad habit of sitting on the hook with the wind chimes going, "I am stealth, I am the night!" CLANG!!!) It makes me happy to hear them hooty hooting back and forth.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
EFB - Cool about the owls and sorry about the dog's incident.

Speaking of pets... We took my 13-year-old cat to the vet a week ago and they discovered he's not going poop. To fix this the vet suggested mixing pumpkin in his wet food. It' been working, too. I'm also surprised that he even ate the pumpkin-and-cat food mix. He's usually very picky.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Junely, that chicken parmo looks like a cross between chicken Parmesan and a welsh rarebit.

I know, right? I'm gonna find a recipe and make one eventually. I've never made a bechamel sauce before, I wonder if it'll be a trigger for my tummy problems?

My stories all come from movies in my head that just pop up out of nowhere. I can see the whole scene. Background, setting, people, dialogue, personalities... Yeah. I just transcribe.

Mine are invariably sound, no picture. I can hear the voices, the sound effects, the whole thing. Like a constant audio in my head. Which is probably why I felt such an affinity for writing audio drama, huh? It also explains why it took me sooooo long to learn how to handle description; dialogue I have always had a good feel for, but description still feels unnatural and awkward, even after all these years.

So I got a question, but I don't know if I should ask it here or in the Horror threads. One of the Lovecraftian staples that has always bugged me is, how did Cthulhu get cultists? Even assuming that certain people received "divine" knowledge that Cthulhu even exists, WHY? It would be like the ants living under my porch forming a religion in hopes that I don't step on them the next time I leave the house.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I am usually dead asleep by now, but I had a lot of caffeine this morning. My family is watching The Hobbit , but I am not a big fan of high fantasy. Maybe I'll browse the internet or listen to music. I'm afraid if I watch some TV (most likely my new favorite show Steven Universe) I'll never go to sleep. Maybe snuggling with my dog, Sofi, will help, but she's out watching TV with my family. And by "watching TV" I mean she's searching for fallen popcorn. *Hears noise* Never mind. She's passed out on my bed.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I BUILT A FENCE! AND PUT TOGETHER A BABY GATE OUTSIDE! It took two days because we had to buy everything and we didn't have all the tools in order and I kept doing a pretty bad job of drilling, but I did it and now my puppies are safe in my dad's backyard at last! I've wanted to do that for 9 years!

I got some new meds to take the top off my stress, it was putting way too much pressure for my anti-depressants to keep up with. I spent most of yesterday, my first full day on it, sleeping. Must have needed it. I sure do feel better now, more capable of carrying what I have to.

@Rel: Oh, he knows he can drink water, he just...doesn't. Basically, dad and some other members of his side of the family are addicted to Diet Coke. I wish that was an exaggeration but it's pretty much all he and his twin brother drink and they get very whiny if they can't get it, similar to how they both get whiny if they can't get chocolate when they want it. Which is pretty much every day. Sigh.
I think... that might technically actually be okay, too? I should know for sure, but I don't.
I'm kinda like that, too. The water here tastes like gravel.

I am kinda slowly getting in the mental space where I can get some projects done and look forward without staying focussed and frustrated by the things I couldn't do during lock-down. I... like this.

So I decided I was going to get one thing positive out of this no matter what and finally I got over my ten-year inertia and retook my theorethical driving exam. And passed! Now only to get over the twenty-year inertia and actually start lessons for the practical part of the exam. Huh, so much for the easy part...
That's great! This is maybe the best time to take a practical driving exam with so few cars on the road. I failed mine so many times because it was set in one of the busiest parts of Copenhagen at a super busy time.

Yeah, I kinda get that. On one hand, one shouldn't have to be rewarded for something that is rather like civic duty. On the other, it's nice to feel your donation is appreciated. And most of the things we receive are clearly business donations, so at least the Red Cross doesn't have to foot that bill as well.

We get a bottle of water while we wait for a donation at the blood drive. Fluids are kinda necessary for a good yield.
We get snacks and a choice of various drinks (juices, sodas, etc.) and every ten donations (I think) we get a little gift of some sort, and every once in a while they'll have some kind of promotion. I remember they had one when Bloodborne was just coming out, partly for the theme and partly to get more young men to donate.

For some reason, mom's never been interested in an electric mower in any form. We've always had a gas powered push mower and yeah, it's a workout to mow our big ol' lawn, but we need the exercise, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
My dad's like that. I saw him pushing around that old gas guzzler and thought "are you sure that's not just too much bother?"

Morning, Cantina. Birthday yesterday was nice. It did feel a tad quiet and uneventful, but not being able to go do anything special besides picking up the cake and pizza would probably be the reason for that. Got a cute tunic top I really, really wanted, plus the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game *excited face* with an IOU for the Nintendo Switch console because they're all sold out right now and therefore mom couldn't get it in time. I would guess all the people bored at home have probably been playing video games to pass the time. I was able to use the gift card aunt gave me to get a geeky necklace I've been wanting, though and have been obsessively refreshing the shipping tracker. It's not supposed to get here until June 2. *sigh*
Ooh! Those are some cool presents! Zelda is so good! I hope you haven't had all of it spoiled for you, there're some really great things in there that you would never know about even if you'd seen everything leading up to release, but of course every player lost their mind seeing them.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I got a Switch last year for Breath of the Wild, and that and Mario Kart is pretty much all I use it for. I hope the wait isn't too long, but it'll be worth it in the end.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I BUILT A FENCE! AND PUT TOGETHER A BABY GATE OUTSIDE! It took two days because we had to buy everything and we didn't have all the tools in order and I kept doing a pretty bad job of drilling, but I did it and now my puppies are safe in my dad's backyard at last! I've wanted to do that for 9 years!

Awesome! Having a fenced yard really reduces the stress of taking dogs out. The dogs will probably enjoy it a lot more, too.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to get the garden into order and wound up throwing a fit. Here in Seattle we have a window of time in spring to do it properly, otherwise, when it rains in May, everything turns into a green hell that quadruples the amount of work. The garden was in Green Hell stage which made for back breaking labor. It's a hobby for the younger who have better backs than I do.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I am so out of practice on this writing thing. First paragraph was fine. Second paragraph I've rewritten about three times. Show, don't tell!

Show, don't tell!

Did I mention "show, don't tell"?

At least I got words on the page, which is always good.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I have a Switch, too. I only have Pokemon and Animal Crossing on it. Loving both games.

Groan! I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. I got a lot of thinking done about my WIPs, though as I tossed and turned and tried to keep my dog's snoring from keeping me away.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
jallenecs - "Show don't tell" isn't a hard-and-fast rule; sometimes telling gets the job done. In first drafts especially, if telling gets the words out, go ahead and tell, then revise as needed in the next pass.

Thursday afternoon, and by my low standards it's been a reasonably productive week. Not particularly looking forward to going back to work next week, for a variety of reasons, mostly having to do with general burnout.

I've been trying to wear masks while exercising to get used to it, and to see which mask works better with exertion; part of my job is reasonably physically intense. So far, they all end up steaming my glasses to some degree, and I'm too nearsighted to work without them. But I think I can make it work. Somehow.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Cantina.

I finally broke down and go ahold of my guy at the clinic for an appointment because I just couldn't take it anymore. So, we'll see when they can get me in. The bursitis in my hip has progressed to numbness in my lower extremities and it's got me a bit freaked out.

I hope everybody is staying safe and is well away from the current situation playing itself out all the major cities this weekend.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Ted - Yikes... numbness and nerve issues are never good. Fingers crossed they can help you ASAP...

Friday evening, and we are evidently not going back to work next week after all, which is fine by me as my sleep schedule is screwed up.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I got in a stupid fight with a dumbass on Twitter. I've blocked him, but I'm still frustrated about it.

I got a Switch last year for Breath of the Wild, and that and Mario Kart is pretty much all I use it for. I hope the wait isn't too long, but it'll be worth it in the end.
Leeeeet me just slide in here to recommend Fire Emblem.

Awesome! Having a fenced yard really reduces the stress of taking dogs out. The dogs will probably enjoy it a lot more, too.
I think they were pretty happy about exploring the neighborhood, but I felt it like a physical relief to me.

I am so out of practice on this writing thing. First paragraph was fine. Second paragraph I've rewritten about three times. Show, don't tell!

Show, don't tell!

Did I mention "show, don't tell"?

At least I got words on the page, which is always good.
Screw "show, don't tell"! We're the descendants of story tellers, and those have been around since the dawn of humanity! They must have been doing something right by telling.

jallenecs - "Show don't tell" isn't a hard-and-fast rule; sometimes telling gets the job done. In first drafts especially, if telling gets the words out, go ahead and tell, then revise as needed in the next pass.
That!

I've been trying to wear masks while exercising to get used to it, and to see which mask works better with exertion; part of my job is reasonably physically intense. So far, they all end up steaming my glasses to some degree, and I'm too nearsighted to work without them. But I think I can make it work. Somehow.
Maybe you could tape the top line of the mask to your face with some low adhesive tape? Not super fun to remove, but it should keep your glasses fog-free.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Well, to add to the high of finishing my novel last weekend, on Wednesday my company announced they're closing my plant on August 1. So... off to the job hunt I go! Since they've reduced staff across all their 7 plants, there's no chance of a transfer. Especially since I'm the Plant Controller, and there's only one of those needed per plant (maybe 2 if there's an assistant). I'm looking for local jobs, fully remote (more of those around, thanks to COVID, at least!) and in Maine, New Hampshire (near the in-laws), North Carolina (near the parents), and Ireland (because why not?).

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your job, greendragon. Best wishes with the jobhunting.

Hope everybody is well and best wishes for speedy recoveries if not. *hug*

The garden's all decorated for the double birthdayfeast today. Two tables, two assigned toilets, soap bars, disinfection bottles, two sets of garden chairs all at a social distance, and delivered food. All set for a small family party by the rules in corona time. Sheesh and I thought getting the gifts was the hard part...
Bonus points, when I went to pick out a shirt for today, there was one of those black jumping spiders in my drawer! *twitches and squirms endlessly*
Yipe! They're about the only spiders I tolerate in the house but NOT in the drawers!

Nice about the owls! The thing your owls have with the wind chimes still has me in stiches. It's been ages since I heard our local owls. I kinda miss them, can't be a shortance of mice, though, judging by the number the cat drags in.
So I got a question, but I don't know if I should ask it here or in the Horror threads. One of the Lovecraftian staples that has always bugged me is, how did Cthulhu get cultists? Even assuming that certain people received "divine" knowledge that Cthulhu even exists, WHY? It would be like the ants living under my porch forming a religion in hopes that I don't step on them the next time I leave the house.
Isn't there a canon mechanism-thingy with cultists getting visions and/or orders in dreams? I have a vague recollection of that. I suppose even eldritch horrors like to have somebody around sometimes to say nice things. And supposing you might fancy yourself in need of an army or ants one day, can't help to be prepared, you know, especially if you have all the time in the world to learn of to speak to those tiny minds...
I BUILT A FENCE! AND PUT TOGETHER A BABY GATE OUTSIDE! It took two days because we had to buy everything and we didn't have all the tools in order and I kept doing a pretty bad job of drilling, but I did it and now my puppies are safe in my dad's backyard at last! I've wanted to do that for 9 years! I got some new meds to take the top off my stress, it was putting way too much pressure for my anti-depressants to keep up with. I spent most of yesterday, my first full day on it, sleeping. Must have needed it. I sure do feel better now, more capable of carrying what I have to.
Yeay for safe puppies! I hope your new meds work well.

That's great! This is maybe the best time to take a practical driving exam with so few cars on the road. I failed mine so many times because it was set in one of the busiest parts of Copenhagen at a super busy time.
Well, that low-traffic window had definitely closed with most of the businesses and some of the schools slowly reopening. I expect the traffic will be up to pre-pandemic levels by the time I take the exam. And the exam center for theoretical and practical was closed during lockdown, so no one got to take advantage of it any how.

Need to think about the lessons first though, before I go about worrying about the exam (oh hello anxiety) because otherwise I never get myself to even start the lessons. As soon as I get over this inertia and actually book them. I'm working on it, but it's a big honkin' block of inertia right there and it's been there for 20 years. Shifting it ain't easy even if it's all my head.

The theoretical exam is good for three years but I have this tiny bit of momentum now and I need to hang on to it.
I am so out of practice on this writing thing. First paragraph was fine. Second paragraph I've rewritten about three times. Show, don't tell! Show, don't tell! Did I mention "show, don't tell"? At least I got words on the page, which is always good.
If there ever was a writing 'rule' I've gleefully disregarded, it'll be that one. Showing is nice, but telling actually just does the job better sometimes.

Don't fret about it. :)

Last edited:

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Greendragon, I wish you luck. Sucks they did that but I hope the new opportunity that presents itself is better.

I'm in a lot of pain today and I can't wait until I get in to the clinic. Ugh.

It's absolutely gorgeous here and I can't do anything because just standing is difficult.