The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Sorry I've been gone so long! I needed to re-sign in and I kept being too lazy to look up my password :(

Give ‘em, hell, Ted!

I forgot to tell y’all, I sold a story! My first sale in three years (novel writing, querying, and school kept me from short stories). It’s The Bar at the End of Whenever, at Nature Futures. It’s flash, too, so it’s a nice, short read. Go check it out!

Next I need to go update my sig.

Woohoo! Congrats! And congrats to all the other great things that happened in my absence. And sympathies for the bad stuff.

Currently reading greendragon's Time Tourist Outfitters LTD, as it happens.

So cool! I hope you're enjoying it!

LadyV, I've heard talk of a few online groups that are doing facetalk and other things to play board games online. Have you found any of them?

Our author group has set up a Zoom meeting each Thursday evening, with excerpts up on googledocs for leaving comments. It worked really well this week.

I'm working from home. Our foundry is in PA, and not considered essential (iron foundry makes car parts), and several of our major customers, GM, Honda, Toyota - all closed down for the duration or at least not making cars (some are regearing for making ventilators). Luckily, I'm management so can work from home without much issue.

I had just purchased tickets and B&B reservations for our May Ireland vacation at the end of February. That's postponed, obviously. I do lots of art shows in the summer, but I had not applied to the ones in May as a result - they've been cancelled or postponed. My next one is in June, which is 'monitoring the situation' at the moment.

No one sick here, other than seasonal allergies. I live in NY state, so we are on 'stay at home' but not 'shelter in place.' We have done a few supply runs for an elderly author friend of mine who doesn't drive, only walks with difficulty due to a stroke, and is pretty terrified of going out right now. He's a recluse anyhow, so he's happy to stay in his apartment.

I'm writing, but in spits and starts. The stress is keeping me from my normal magnificent flow. I think it's also because I have too much time. I work best under time stress. Go figure.

I hope everyone stays healthy and safe.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh Now I see your post GD!

Still going to work, although we have now set things up so that I can do part of my work from home. If the need arises, I can just go in 1 or 2 days for that kind of stuff. Also was informed that if things get bad, I'll still get paid even if there's no work. (might end up getting a reprive from military requests, we aren't sure yet.) The engine repair side is going gangbusters with people wanting parts and finishing projects at the moment. But I don't think that will last after a few months. We will see.

Today was great! Found a critique group locally just before the shit hit the fan, and found out last week that they've moved to a skype conference. This is the group I had searched for in Mo with no luck. These people know their shit.
Also our tax refund came in and hubby will be home sometime this next week! He's going to pay off his school loan plus the other stuff when he gets his truck back to the main hub in Dallas. He still has to pick up a load heading that way but he'll be home SOON!

I also got some vegetable seeds to get started tomorrow. Going to show FIL how to get shit done! lol

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Oh, and ProWritingAid has a 25% off sale on their software. I love using it. Well, I hate editing, but it's made MUCH easier with PWA. Since I've been using it, my editor says mine are the cleanest manuscripts she gets.

Caveat: I get a small commission if you use that link to buy. Also, it's free to use in small chunks online.
I won a giveaway in December for a year long license for Pro Writing Aid and it's so cool! It's possible I'm using it to edit my Sisyphus... *cackles with editing happiness* Figure while I have it I'll use it on my other shorts, too, and if I finish my portal fantasy this year, as I hope to, I'll use it on that, too.

So glad you had a great day, Shadow!

Goodness, you don't think about light yardwork as being exercise but after not doing it all winter, it's tiring. Well, at least there are fewer sticks for the lawnmower to hit and like, 80+ onions planted. (Not an exaggeration, Mom kinda bought more than she meant to.)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I went for a drive last night. It helped.

I found out a friend of mine has the virus. Because of the delays in testing she found out she had it as she started to feel better.

Today I found that sarcasm is every bit as fun as it sounds like when you're dealing with somebody who should know better.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
This morning I looked up dogs that looked like red foxes for my story. I wasn't expecting many results, but wow! Now I can maybe replace my fox character with an orange Indian Spitz. I'm still looking though. Maybe he'll just be a mutt that looks like a fox.

TedTheewen - I'm sorry. Stay strong.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I take a drive each day, to feel 'normal'. it helps. I usually don't get out of the car, and if I do, I'm wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer. But I play Wizards Unite (a game on my phone based on Harry Potter) and they have daily tasks that involve leaving the house, as I have to go and collect energy at Inns and have Wizard Battles at Fortresses, none of which are near enough to my house. So I do a little jaunt to take care of these. It does add some structure to my day and in upstate NY, we aren't required to stay in the house, necessarily. I did see this on Market Street yesterday... slightly concerning...

I managed to write about 1500 words yesterday, which is an improvement for me. I am also catching up on the show Picard, and doing some beading (making a big peacock feather type necklace). Today, my husband is going to attempt to unhook the old, dead dishwasher and install the new one the landlord had delivered. He said he could do it. I has a skeptical.

91216659_10158327976995439_156144240420716544_o.jpg

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I'm trying to find a word. A character is staring out of a... something. It's not a window, because it's the hole dang wall, and also it's open to the world. Perhaps there're normally (or nominally) screen doors to close it off with. I should let it go but it's driving me to distraction!

If you like hurdy-gurdy music, you might like this one.
I love Patty Gurdy! This is going to turn into a whole gurdy appreciation thread if we aren't careful.

This virus crap has me really burned out. I'm told we've had a few people snap on some of the more difficult people we deal with. I'm about there myself. Work is just too nuts. I am consumed with fear and loathing in the mornings to the point where I wake up well before my alarm.

Tonight I took a drive. I blasted loud music and just drove for a bit. It helped.
Sorry to hear how hard you have it, Ted. At least your friend is feeling better.

This morning I looked up dogs that looked like red foxes for my story. I wasn't expecting many results, but wow! Now I can maybe replace my fox character with an orange Indian Spitz. I'm still looking though. Maybe he'll just be a mutt that looks like a fox.
Shiba Inu owners are warned to keep their dogs on tight leashes during fox hunting season. The Volpino Italiano (Italian Fox) cheats with its name, its much too fluffy to pass for a fox.
Thing is, most spitzes have a lot of the fox look, but their tails are usually all curled up. A Beagle cross might get a straight tail and maybe even that white end. Or perhaps a red Border Collie, but then they'd probably end up too big...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Cantina.

Still working. My daily life is normal, I feel like I'm the one in another world.

I took a peek at that writer program. I had no idea those things were so pricey. If I wrote more regularly, it might be a good investment. I at least have a rough outline of my story. That's better than nothing.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I just posted my 1000 word story to my now-online creative writing class. (now-online because of the virus. In fact, all my classes are now online. Including my art class )

I really think I want to continue it and turn it into a short story collection (the stories would be longer than 1000 words). Trouble is I don't know what genre it would be. It has wizards, cyborgs, magical creatures, and robots. Maybe I'll start a thread asking for help.

TedTheewen - Sorry about work. Hang in there.

Greendragon - What type of company does that truck work for? I can only read, Umbrella Corporation. What does that mean? Is it like that show The Umbrella Academy ? (Just spelled umbrella so poorly the computer suggested the word "breadcrumb" and, luckily, "umbrella". How does the word "breadcrumb" look like "umbrella"?)

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
New puppy will be coming home tomorrow!

Greendragon - What type of company does that truck work for? I can only read, Umbrella Corporation. What does that mean? Is it like that show The Umbrella Academy ? (Just spelled umbrella so poorly the computer suggested the word "breadcrumb" and, luckily, "umbrella". How does the word "breadcrumb" look like "umbrella"?)
Umbrella Corporation is a bioengineering company from the Resident Evil franchise, they made several viruses that turned people into different sort of zombies.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I hate that the virus stuff has me feeling low-level anxiety when we have to go to the grocery store. I'm taking all reasonable precautions and being outright paranoid about cleaning myself and the things I touch and not touching my face, so just SHUT UP already stupid anxiety! :deadhorse

In more positive news, I sold another baby blanket this morning. That's the third one this month and the second spring colored one. I'm very pleased the spring colors are moving because I like them a lot. Also, I think people are right that there's probably going to be a mini baby boom in upcoming months, what with everyone staying home and being bored right now. Must make more blankets. Alllll the blankets.

In funny-now-that-it's-over news, yesterday morning, da beagle seemed really agitated. He's had an allergy-related cough for a few years now, but he just kept coughing, shaking his head, pacing up and down the bed, and panting. I thought his ear was just bothering him and we needed to clean it out as has happened now and then. Dad got panicked about the panting and thought da beagle was in respiratory distress. Mom and I knew that wasn't the case, but it was clear something *was* wrong. Finally, it occurred to me that da beagle always pants when he has to go potty real bad. I'd taken him out for his morning pee already, but dad gave him way too much steak scraps the night before (despite us telling him not to give him that much) and it might be a *cough* number 2 issue. Took him out again and yep, da beagle was panting because he'd had to go really bad and been making a valiant effort not to poo in the house. We have since decided that if dad is eating steak, da beagle will just have to be shut in the bedroom because his system apparently can't handle more than tiny amounts of red meat anymore and dad has no self-control when it comes to begging dogs. I think dad seeing da beagle in that much distress has gotten it through to him that this is a necessary measure.

Today, I'm reading over my portal fantasy WIP to remind myself where I was before Camp Nano starts tomorrow.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Being in quarantine is harder than I thought it would be. The silver lining is at least that I'm getting so much more writing done.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Trouble is I don't know what genre it would be. It has wizards, cyborgs, magical creatures, and robots.

Sounds like it leans fantasy, though "science fantasy" is rather popular and covers crossover ground. (To my mind, the inclusion of any magic tends to negate science, thus it would be magic not sci-fi, but it's really more about overall tone/marketing. I've read several books classified as fantasy that are really SF, and vice versa. Look for similar stories and see what they're called. It's all ultimately specfic.)

Tuesday evening, and haven't gotten nearly as much writing done as I'd hoped to. Family hasn't helped, but part of it's just other things interfering... haven't even been reading as much as I'd thought I would (or rather hoped I would).

Sigh...

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Happy first day of April Camp Nano, everyone! I did not get caught up to where I left off on my WIP, so I'm continuing reading it today. It's super hard not to edit as I go. So much passive voice. So. Much. Passive. Voice. Twitchy as it makes me to see all the errors, it actually makes me excited that I'm improving enough as a writer to recognize them on my own, and I'm extra excited to finish this draft and be able to edit this story I've been working on for 5 years and make it shiny!

New puppy is home! She sure is talkative, and she doesn't like the hallway or doorways, which is a problem, as she kind of has to go through them. She has slept a lot today.
:snoopy: Aaaaw. <3 When we first brought da beagle home, he didn't like stairs. He'd been previously owned by a hunter and I'm not sure he'd ever had to go up and down in that manner before. I ended up having to carry him down to the yard and then make him walk back up on his own and that seemed to get him used to them.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I hope everybody is safe and well and feels safe and well.

I have been recording some ancient kid shows on DVD as a surprise gift for the nephews. I had promised to do so but some technical issues have made me postpone it for many months until now. The shows are on videotape so I have to retool the entire TV installation to be able to record on DVD. Well, nothing like a COVID-19 lockdown to finally do it.

At least it makes me feel useful. I didn't think I had brainweasels but since I feel like I'm letting myself down for not making the most of this lock-down thing (which I know is silly, because who is is feeling creative and can-do in a pandemic?) I am starting to suspect I do have an slight rodent infestation upstairs. Will feel better if I can get a few things done. Like this DVD thing.

Does anyone know any easy windows programmes to record voice? I am thinking of sending the nephews also a few spoken chapters of the book I was reading to them at bedtime. Since it will now be a long while before they can come to visit and we can continue to read it, I think it might be an unexpected, fun thing to do.

Last official day of the job yesterday. I was planning to taking a little time off to think about what I want to do next, but it seems COVID feels like I should take the entire spring and maybe summer too.

Life is weird right now. Do I say that too often?

So cool! I hope you're enjoying it!
I did! Thanks for writing it! It was a blast.

I've been told to stop telling customers "And may the odds be ever in your favor."
:roll:

New puppy will be coming home tomorrow!
Wheee! New pupper!

Also, I think people are right that there's probably going to be a mini baby boom in upcoming months, what with everyone staying home and being bored right now. Must make more blankets. Alllll the blankets.
Not if they're doing this social distancing-thing right, there won't. :e2dance:And all those parents now stuck with the kids at home... may put a bit of a damper on expanding the family. In more ways than one.

We have since decided that if dad is eating steak, da beagle will just have to be shut in the bedroom because his system apparently can't handle more than tiny amounts of red meat anymore and dad has no self-control when it comes to begging dogs.
I always feel like the bad guy too as I constantly have to be the one to say that the cats can only lick out one bowl of (eaten) icecream. Too much and it gives litter box issues, which some people seldom clean too, but that's another issue...

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Sounds like it leans fantasy, though "science fantasy" is rather popular and covers crossover ground. (To my mind, the inclusion of any magic tends to negate science, thus it would be magic not sci-fi, but it's really more about overall tone/marketing. I've read several books classified as fantasy that are really SF, and vice versa. Look for similar stories and see what they're called. It's all ultimately specfic.)

Thanks, Greendragon

Religion0 - What's the puppy's name? What breed or mix is she?

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
New puppy is home! She sure is talkative, and she doesn't like the hallway or doorways, which is a problem, as she kind of has to go through them. She has slept a lot today.

Puppy! I wanna play with a puppy so badly!

Lately I've been binge-watching Food Wars. I'm not normally into anime that much but this is different.

It's a nice sunny day once again so I might go for a drive or something.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, Cantina!

Food Wars sounds more like a cooking competition show more than an anime.

It's quite nice today. Lots of sunshine.

I may do some shopping for new boots. The rubber kind I typical wear for work just aren't holding up, even the pricier ones, so I need something that's more durable. Keens and Merryls tend to be very good, they're just expensive. I honestly don't mind spending the money, just as long as I know they'll last longer than a few months.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A good pair of boots are important. Better to be comfy.

Yeah, Food Wars is about a kid who goes to an extremely competitive culinary academy, where students battle in a kitchen stadium sort of environment. There are four seasons but only two have been dubbed into English. I don't mind subtitles but I can't seem to find Seasons 3 or 4 anywhere online yet.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Somehow I managed to stay mostly offline today in order to finally get some words down for Camp Nano. It was enough to meet my daily goal, so that's good. It also hasn't been too hard to get back into the mindset for my portal fantasy even after letting it sit for three months while I worked on my Sisyphus. Hopefully I'll surpass tomorrow's goal and get back on track to hit the monthly goal. (For realz, though, I'd be okay with just finishing this draft even if I finish it before reaching the wordcount goal for camp.)