The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Hugs for MaeZe! I wish I could make the loss easier for you.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Hope no one minds my musing, I only have a few people to talk to. No replies necessary. Last night he couldn't see the open door or something, he kept trying to go through but missing it and bumping into the frame. Or maybe he saw it but couldn't coordinate his muscles.

He's still getting up and down and he makes it to the water dish and outside. Sometimes he eats a few bites, sometimes he won't.

I'm worried what will happen Fri and Sat when I'm gone all day at work. I think my son can come check on him.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*sets out all the soft and comforting things and a giant tub o'hugs for Maeze* I'm so sorry. :(

Morning, Cantina. Got my flu shot yesterday. Some years it makes me feel a little bad for a couple days and some years it doesn't. This is 2020 so of course it's making me feel blah. But it's nowhere near as bad as the actual flu and I'll be okay.

Still working on getting the Etsy collection listings put together. Three of them are fully written up and priced and sitting in draft form. The other six items are yet to be photographed because all the cloudy days have included rain. I'll just have to get the pics this weekend in the shade because I gave myself a deadline and it's approaching.

In story editing news, I checked and have already cut 9500+ words from the original WIP and am only about a third of the way through, so that's really good and will hopefully continue. I just wish I wasn't such an overwriter that the word count got so out of control in the first place, but you do what you gotta do to get that first draft on paper, and this is what editing is for.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
All the hugs, Maeze! He's surrounded by family, which is what's important. I heard a vet say that most of the pet owners LEAVE when they put pets down. I don't understand how they can do that...

We have always cremated ours. They have lovely little wooden boxes.

For dry mouth, my husband uses something called Biotene, I think? His doc recommended it to him.

I'm getting ready to re-release my first novel, Better To Have Loved, on Sep 19th. Everything's uploaded and ready to go (self-pub). Waiting on quality assurance for the audiobook, so that may come out later.

Now I'm about halfway through the second draft of Taming of the Few. After that it goes to beta readers. Anyone up for beta reading an urban fantasy, book 1 in a trilogy? Think Heroes + X-Men + Ireland. Six main POV characters.

I'm still looking for another job, two months into this horrible open office. Yesterday a very loud French man talked to my boss for twenty minutes, his voice filling the entire room (where there are 40 open desks, so not a small area). I couldn't concentrate at ALL, and that was 20 minutes just gone. Noise cancelling headphones were nowhere nearly sufficient. Add to that most people are sticking their noses out of their masks and the hour long commute - yeah. Time for something else. If I planned on staying, I'd move closer, but I won't move if I don't have to.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Friday, and on the Mom front: she's feeling a bit better. Some of her problems are indeed thrush (she's taking the prescription stuff for that), and some are just dry mouth from the radiation. Speaking of... they did see a few small lingering spots in the second scan. Now, the point of the radiation was that it would attack those spots, so theoretically they should be dead/dying now, but she'll probably need another round of this to make sure. It was Not Fun the first time, and will probably be even more Not Fun the second time.
Do not, 2020. Seriously, I'm warning you... do not try me on this, 2020.

We got out of work a half-hour early due to air quality: smoke from Oregon and California has settled in for a few days over us. I curtailed my planned shopping, condensing it to one store (the one that had better deli lunch options), so I should be stocked for the weekend.

And I'm still not making a ton of progress on the story, but hope to this weekend (since poor air quality probably - hopefully - negates planned yard/outdoor work.)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I’m so sorry MaeZe.

We had both of ours cremated, too. I commissioned a glass artist (that we always see at our local ren fest) to make a little glass heart with some of Bonnie’s ashes inside. I had thought to do the same with Bella, but the pandemic interfered. If by next spring we get to have ren fest again, I’ll see about getting another heart made. I kinda like the idea of having them both together like that.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, MaeZe, just catching up.

I've had my dogs cremated after they passed, but they were each over 100lbs. I hope you are still having a few good last days together before you need to think about it too much. Lots of love and hugs to you. :Hug2:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Zanzjan and everyone else. I'm sitting with him tonight so he doesn't feel alone. He's not eating or drinking so it won't be long.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks, Zanzjan and everyone else. I'm sitting with him tonight so he doesn't feel alone. He's not eating or drinking so it won't be long.

I'm sorry, MaeZe. This is so painful, and my thoughts are with you.

I've had my pets cremated when they've passed. You can keep the ashes in a nice little box, or scatter them somewhere that was special to them.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sunday, late morning, and we're still under layers of smoke, though today isn't yellow like yesterday was.

I hope to finish the Solstice story draft this weekend (nudged over 10K again, dang it), but family is intensely familying today so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

(ETA - Hoping things go peacefully, MaeZe...)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Colbalt but the cremation service was in Auburn, too far to go. And I couldn't see taking him to the vet after he died.

My son came by this morning. It was so sweet, our dog recognized him and was able to wag his tail just a little. Michael, my son, was younger and lived here when we got the dogs, Annie and Jeffy. Michael named them. Anyway, he dug a nice grave for Jeffy in the backyard. I'm going to bury him with one of his blankets. It will be a nice place for him.

Thanks again everyone for all your warm wishes.

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, MaeZe. It sounds like a lovely funeral.

I've made the decision to trial rehoming Rosa. It's not easy, I love her, and she loves Minty and me, but I'm tired, she's still not potty trained, life is bad right now, and in hindsight I shouldn't even have gotten her. I don't know if it's the right decision, for any of us, so that's why it's a trial, which a friend of my Mum is going to be part of, as she'd be happy to take Rosa if it comes to it, and I feel comfortable with her as a dog owner. I hate this.

No news on the home front yet.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
No good weeks for dogs it seems. I'm sorry about Jeffy, Maeze. That's nice that your son too got to say goodbye.

*hugs* to you too, Rel. It's hard figuring out what's best for you and your pet. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I hope you get some good news on the home front soon.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's a Cobra!
banana-woot.gif

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Howdy, Cobra. What's new on your front? Anything shifting on the Shifter books?

Everything continues to be awful here. Went to something called metacognitive therapy, my initial response is between "I can't recognize myself in that" and "neurotypical bullshit" but I'm planning on hanging in. My mom paid up front for 6x2 hour group sessions. And it might make sense later. It's supposed to be really good, and maybe it is, but I'm apathetic and skeptical. Minty is cute.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Rel

A couple of years ago I rehomed a cat of mine. I'd adopted him as a kitten from a sort of sketchy home-run rescue, and as near as I can tell he must have been completely feral. He loved me and I loved him, but he was terrified of the other cats in the house, refused to be litter-trained (he would pee on my kids' beds) and I couldn't let him be an outdoor cat here because I live in deep woods and there are enough predators that cats are pretty instant snack food. Through a friend I found a family looking for a barn cat on a farm, and he's been living there happily ever since with about 70 chickens, goes up to the family's kids for petting when he wants some, or to show them any rats he caught, and is living his best life. I had an agreement with them that if he wasn't happy they'd bring him back to me and I'd try again, but it was never necessary. It was an agonizing decision and I beat myself up about it for months both before and after--the depression narratives don't let you believe you are doing the right thing either way--and I still miss him terribly, but it was absolutely the right call and I have no regrets.

I don't know Rosa and your situation beyond what you've posted here, but figured it might help to hear at least one story where it worked out well.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Heya all!

It's Friday. I'm so happy it's Friday. Being out of the house for 11 hours each day (8hr work, 2 hr commute, 1 hr lunch) is wearing on me. I think working from home spoiled me. Still looking for another position that's NOT open office plan. I'm 'on display' all day and it's exhausting, plus loud conversations going over me, around me, making it impossible to get work done. Sigh.

On the bright side, my first novel is being re-released tomorrow. Yay! The ninth/final book in my series is being released in a month. Yay! The first book in that series is reverting to me and has been re-written, and I'm planning on releasing in November, yay! (I have to work on the audiobook, stat!). I'm 80% done with the second draft of my current WIP. Yay!

I'm looking into compiling some already-written things into a book - Extreme Planning for Writers. Basically, what I do as a planner to write three novels a year. We'll see if it does anything. Then I'm planning book 2 in ONE of my new series, but I have no idea which. What do you all think?

Book 2 of Past Storm and Fire (timeslip romance set in modern day and 12th century Iceland)
Book 2 of Time Tourist Outfitters (time travel adventure based in modern day Toronto)
Book 2 of Taming of the Few (urban fantasy based in modern day Ireland)

TTO is by far my best-selling book - but PSAF is the first of the three I wrote. TotF is my current WIP, so my head is 'in' it. Thoughts?