The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Siwyenbast

Registered
Reaction score
A good pair of boots are important. Better to be comfy.

Yeah, Food Wars is about a kid who goes to an extremely competitive culinary academy, where students battle in a kitchen stadium sort of environment. There are four seasons but only two have been dubbed into English. I don't mind subtitles but I can't seem to find Seasons 3 or 4 anywhere online yet.

Crunchyroll has all of the seasons as far as I know, as does Hidive, Sentai Filmworks' (the licensing company) native streaming site. You might have to search the Japanese name (Shokugeki no Soma) to find it, though. The final season debuts on the 10th and will be simulcast a few hours after it airs in Japan. If you want to watch it in 1080p and/or without commercials, I'd suggest looking into either getting a premium guest pass on Crunchyroll, or springing for the premium membership (roughly $8/month).

That said, hi ya'll. I've been lurking recently because of house remodeling, but I'm finally starting to work on Binara and Ami some more as the house upheaval is drawing to a close. I feel like, besides the people that are the foundation of our society, the world needs us writers and artists now most of all because of what's going on. I hope you all are doing well out there, and aren't going super stir-crazy.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I made a new MC of mine take the Myers-Briggs personality test. I was thinking "wow she's really hard to know" When I got the results, she was a INFP, which (according to the website) are hard to get to know. Maybe that's why I'm struggling with her. But I think taking the test helped me learn more about her.

Sadly, I was like 90% through the test, when my cat jumped on my keyboard and restarted the test. Ugh. :e2cat: <-- notice this cat has a smug grin. My cat was probably smugly smiling on the inside, too.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
An author friend of mine just signed up for AWWC, and said they now ask for credit card details? She exited out because she was leery, but now she's registered. Is this new, or did I forget it? Is it required? Anyone know?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
An author friend of mine just signed up for AWWC, and said they now ask for credit card details? She exited out because she was leery, but now she's registered. Is this new, or did I forget it? Is it required? Anyone know?

As I noted in the Bulletin board where you also posted this, no we do not ask for need want or require a credit card.

I suspect she clicked on the Subscription link and not the registration link.

She is now registered and she has added an avatar and a link to her boo, and joined a group.

As a genera principle going forward if you have a question about the site, the person to ask is either the site owner MacAllister or the person who generally runs the site; me, rather than posting the same question in multiple places.

Because it means I have to reply in multiple places and reassure the angry people now PMing me (16 so far) to complain that we charge for the site that no, we're still a free site.

Which, by the way, is no small thing.

And confidential to the member who sent an angry PM about the this post and complaining that we're charging right now when people are out of work, the words generally translated as Hell in the Bible are references either to Gehenna or to Sheol, and thanks, but I'm not traveling now.

Thanks, you're very tired and somewhat cranky self-isolated Admin

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
GD, it might be a nice idea to go back and edit your posts, so people don't go off half-cocked to complain before reading the rest of the thread.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I'm only half-crocked after breakfast, but then I sober up a bit throughout the day.

Wait...nevermind.

I made a pie last night. It came out...different. It was a coconut-pandan chess pie. The brown sugar darkened it a great deal but the inside remained green so the total effect is like a cartoonish Frankenstein sort of look. Tastes good, though.

*Serves up slices of Frankenstein pie*

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
coconut-pandan chess pie

I’ve never heard of this! After looking up some descriptions, it sounds heavenly.

*takes piece of Frankenstein pie*

Tomorrow I need to finally get around to the apple cobbler I keep meaning to make.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only half-crocked after breakfast, but then I sober up a bit throughout the day.

Wait...nevermind.

I made a pie last night. It came out...different. It was a coconut-pandan chess pie. The brown sugar darkened it a great deal but the inside remained green so the total effect is like a cartoonish Frankenstein sort of look. Tastes good, though.

*Serves up slices of Frankenstein pie*
:roll:

All day long I thought it was Saturday. So I didn't get a couple things done because it was Saturday. Damn it's easy to lose track. Maybe I should move my wall calendar from the kitchen to the living room, or wait, I know, the bathroom.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, y'all, did ya miss me? Sorry I disappeared there for a bit, being sick was getting me down down down.

BUT!

Guess who's not in pain? THIS OLD HILLBILLY!!!!

Yep, finally on a biologic, and so far, so good! I can eat, I'm gaining weight, and much of the pain is gone! The medication -- Humira -- is an immunosuppressant, so I'm self-quarantined (not even church, waaaah!), but it's a fair trade if it means i can sweep my own kitchen again!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
JUNELY!!!! *FLYING TACKLE HUG*

I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how things were going with the meds. That's so great that it's working for you! Modern medicine, ftw! I'm so glad you're staying safe at home, too, though I feel ya on the quarantine stuff. I miss my Sunday school kids so bad and will probably have to continue missing them until June. :( I and my fellow first grade teachers have sent them cards, though, since little kids enjoy getting mail, and I know some of the teachers of the older grades are using stuff like Zoom to keep in touch with their students. Despite everything, I'm glad modern technology makes it so people can still connect in some way.

Today, I'm going to focus hard on trying to get new words down on the Camp Nano project.

ION: We got CBS All-Access's free month to watch Picard, but even though the first episode was really good, having then gone and read some reviews to figure out what the Mature rating was about (because the first episode was almost completely family friendly), we've ended up deciding to not watch the rest. I'm just really disappointed that they've apparently decided to go super dark and edgy with the content and don't want to watch a Trek with graphic violence (such as someone's eyeball ripped out of their skull on camera and in graphic detail) and strong language. I don't mind more dramatic storylines and the futuristic setting not being 100% perfect and full of sunshine, roses, and optimism, and was okay with the level of violence in the first episode but content what I was reading about in the reviews was never what Trek was about and I'm just don't want that in my head. So, given that the only other things on CBS All-Access that we care about are older shows we've already seen, we're definitely going to let it go after the free month is done, if we even keep it that long.

I saw that Pixar's Onward is on Disney+ as of yesterday, so we'll probably watch that tonight. It looks like it will be fun.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
JUNELY!!!! *FLYING TACKLE HUG*

I was thinking of you the other day and wondering how things were going with the meds. That's so great that it's working for you! Modern medicine, ftw! I'm so glad you're staying safe at home, too, though I feel ya on the quarantine stuff. I miss my Sunday school kids so bad and will probably have to continue missing them until June. :( I and my fellow first grade teachers have sent them cards, though, since little kids enjoy getting mail, and I know some of the teachers of the older grades are using stuff like Zoom to keep in touch with their students. Despite everything, I'm glad modern technology makes it so people can still connect in some way.

I actually cleaned my kitchen the other day! And I've cooked dinner every day this week, without any help! It doesn't sound like much, but I feel like I'm slowly regaining my life again. It's not perfect, there are still issues to deal with, and my body could develop an antibody to the Humira, which starts the stupid game all over again. But so far, so good. Though I think my kids are getting sick of me saying, "I can do this, I'm so happy!" over something ridiculous, like bending down to pick up a dropped sock or something.

You stay sick long enough, you get into a helpless mindset. It's weird. For example, the other morning, I was the only one awake and I was very hungry. i sat here going from hungry to hangry, waiting for somebody to wake up and help me get some breakfast. After about an hour, I suddenly thought, "Wait! You can do for yourself, remember?" And I got up and fixed myself some home fries and an omelet! And that's not the last time it happened; I have to keep reminding myself that it's okay, it's not going to hurt this time.

In other news, Younger Daughter moved out yesterday. She and her boyfriend got themselves an apartment about halfway between our house and Elder Daughter's houses (figure forty minutes or so). She's late to the party (she's 27), but had been holding off until I got on the meds and started feeling demonstrably better. I feel guilty about that. AND I'm not entirely thrilled about her moving in with her boyfriend (he's a sweet guy, I like him very much, but they're not married!!!! I'm too old, I think). She knows about my feelings, but, as i told her, she's an adult, I can't tell her what to do.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I cracked and cleaned out four boxes of old school books and notes out of the attic storage. At least they're still monthly collecting paper now that the recycling parks are closed (which I still think was a mistake. Trash disposal should be essential enough.) And I cleaned up the attic enough so you can once again reach the farside shelving. And with the newly created extra space I could move my college notes and books out of my built-in closet. Now I finally can step into my closet again, which was way too long ago when I could do that last. Result! I'm pretty pleased with myself right now.

My desk is currently buried under a pile of reusable folders and notebooks that will need sorting but I will deal with that next week.

Because it means I have to reply in multiple places and reassure the angry people now PMing me (16 so far) to complain that we charge for the site that no, we're still a free site.

Which, by the way, is no small thing.

And confidential to the member who sent an angry PM about the this post and complaining that we're charging right now when people are out of work, the words generally translated as Hell in the Bible are references either to Gehenna or to Sheol, and thanks, but I'm not traveling now.

Thanks, you're very tired and somewhat cranky self-isolated Admin
Yikes. :Wha: I didn't think AWers were that quick to overreact.

Morning, all! It's NOW Saturday :) I read a meme/cartoon and want to write a short story from it. Should I message the artist for permission? I think I should.
Unless you're going to follow the cartoon very closely, I don't think you need to. But depending on the artist, they might enjoy reading the story afterwards.

Guess who's not in pain? THIS OLD HILLBILLY!!!!
Woohoo! Excellent news! :partyguy:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Junely! Glad to see you back and hear things are doing better!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Junely!! :hi: Hey girl, good to hear from you again! I’m glad you’re doing well, that’s lovely news.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome back, Junely! We DID miss you!!! I am so glad you found something to help!!!

EFB, the eyeball thing was actually off camera (you heard it and you saw the person who was doing it, torso up), but it was obvious what happened afterward (you saw the eyeball being used). No, it's not family friendly, but it is intense and I enjoyed it immensely. LOTS of feels at the end, too.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
GD: Hmm... Okay. Now it's sounding like maybe the reviewer I read exaggerated a bit because the scene upset their kid. (It was a user review on Common Sense Media, not from a professional person, and they made it sound like it was on screen.) I'm still on the fence but my aunt says she's going to watch the series, so I'll ask her what she thinks of it when she's done. The story premise is promising, it really is largely the violence I'm concerned about since I'm sensitive to certain things and I like being able to sleep at night without nasty images prancing around in my head threatening me with nightmares. :p

Progress was made on Camp Nano today and I'm now a few hundred words ahead of where the stats say I need to be to reach my goal. Also, I made myself cry with one scene I wrote. *sniffle* I wasn't even expecting it to be emotionally heavy, it just made sense given what the MC would naturally be feeling with the choice she has to make. Hopefully I'll make more good progress tomorrow. A part of me is starting to hope maybe I really can finish the draft this month. Surely this story doesn't need another 15k to wrap it up. Please. Please don't need another 15k, I beg you. I already have a big enough editing job ahead of me as it is.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
A story of mine has been second-rounded at one of my top-pick markets. I got the email, then started sobbing so hard I could barely tell MrJJ. God knows we could all use more good news these days, but terrible thoughts were already flying. What if my story is chosen, but I get seriously ill or die before it’s published? What if my mom or my daughter don’t live long enough to ever read it?

It’ll be a long time before I don’t need to be so afraid for them. For myself, I started updating my file that lists all my bills and financial obligations in case something happens to me, and I need to do a will with instructions for intellectual property.

If anyone is interested (because even without the current pandemic all writers should have this anyway), Neil Gaiman wrote a good article about this with a link to a template. Here’s a SFWA article, too.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I always keep an updated password file in Excel (it's password protected as well) that also lists all my financial things - credit cards, IRA, etc. My husband knows the password, so he can get in, and he has a copy of it. It's a useful tool, and I refer to it regularly since I have over 100 passwords for websites, cards, etc.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
GD, I have a documented processes file like that, too, listing all the bills I handle and when they're usually due. It'd definitely be handy if I were even just temporarily indisposed. Hell, I looked at it myself back in February when I was sick, to make sure I wasn't forgetting about anything. Stress and illness will make your memory just crap right out.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Junely! Good to see you again!

I'm exhausted. Work is kicking my butt and I think I'm going to have to start drinking heavily to get through my shift.

It's cool to see everybody so productive and creative. Thus far my crowning achievement today has been putting on socks.

I'm trying to watch Dispatches from Elsewhere and it's turned so cringy that I had to mute it for a bit.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
*waves to various people*

Hooray for good stuff!

Boo for bad stuff!

Shrug for mediocre and boring stuff!

Tuesday morning, still off work (will remain so through April last I checked; hopefully I keep getting paid until libraries open back up.) Started a laundry, got another book review posted, and I'm about to start major revisions on my Sisyphus draft. Meanwhile, the rest of the family is off at a doctor visit for Dad (foot doctor.)

Okay, Excedrin... any moment you can knock the edge off these sinuses so I have one less procrastination excuse...

And if I haven't been here as much, I've been doing more of my daily yammering over on Discord.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
We just had a huge hail storm blow through. The hail was golf ball-sized and larger. My van is covered in small dents but not as badly as other vehicles. Some had windshields shatter, mirrors busted off, and various parts broken off. A bunch of apartments around here have shattered windows and the post office across the street will need a new window. The one that broke is a very thick and secure kind and it looks like it took a few bullets.

I have videos on my Twitter of the storm.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Holy shit, Ted, that video was intense. Sorry for the dents, but glad it wasn’t any worse than that.