The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, Cantina. *hugs* to those with pain, job loss, and other sucky things. Seconding what's being said about Show-Don't-Tell. If you worry about the technicals too much in the first draft you'll never finish. First drafts can be edited. What can't be edited is something that was never written, so just get those words down and revel in their messy existence.

The past few days have been both busy and mildly distracting, neither of which in bad ways. The good news about da beagle is that we found more of the grain free dog food in the brand he likes and his stomach is happy again. The bad news is that the brand has stopped making that particular variety of grain free food which is why we were having trouble finding it and ended up buying the last three bags Petsmart had available. The good news is the brand does have other grain free food and it's looking like they're pretty similar to the old one in everything but name so hopefully we won't have to finding that and it will still make da beagle happy.

In nature news, the cherry tree has ripened and we've been picking alllll the cherries and will bake allll the cherry flavored things.

Re the Switch: Glad to see all your good reviews. The one other game I want on it is Ori and the Blind Forest, which wasn't originally on Switch but apparently is now. There's also supposed to be a LEGO Skywalker Legacy game coming out in October featuring all 9 movies, which will be on Switch and PS4 so the platform I get it on will probably be a flip of the coin and maybe also depend on which console proves to have the better graphics.

Today I'd like to get less distracted and get back to editing.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
EFB - I loved the Lego video games when I was younger. My sister and I would play them for hours. Thanks for bringing back happy memories!

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*

Hey all.
First. Please be careful out there. Lots of scary stuff going on.
Second. Hugs for all. Whether you've had good or bad stuff this past week. I'll leave the never emptying bucket right here. Grab all you want.
Third. Congrats for good things like story sales, finishing projects, getting a fence up and all the other stuffs.
Fourth. Boo on the bad stuff. (Except the jumping spider. I love those little guys!)

Weekly update: No writing still. Not enough hours in the day right now. Garden is now getting to the OMG the weeds! stage. Will rectify that this week along with another round of fertilizer. Work is going full steam ahead. My side is crazy busy. (Kind of scary on that too)
Hubby started his new job. He's probably going to be a crane operator at some point so that's good. Timeframe though is in question.
Dropped off my little truck to be mostly rebuilt. Rebuilt transmission has arrived. The mechanic is pulling the engine and taking it to where I work. It will get a full rebuild :D We told the mechanic we want it pretty much bullet proof so if we need to go somewhere, this little truck will do it.
Otherwise, not much going on except the usual.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
greendragon, what is going on with the plant(s)? The company is not doing as well as it was? Troubling because if that company is downsizing the whole area will be affected too. (I've got family there.)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yes, the plant was on iffy ground for a while (since the company was bought by Hitachi 3 years ago). It had a plan to sell this plant evidently, over the past year. It was about to do so when COVID hit. Since this plant makes exclusively automotive parts, and all our customers stopped making cars... we died. The parts we are making will be shifted to one of the other 6 plants in the company. That area will indeed be badly affected.

My regular computer is at the shop for data recovery after having a serious issue. Now my laptop, which I'm using in the meantime, is having trouble charging.

What Greek God have I pissed off??

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
greendragon - At a guess, all the Greek gods. And a few Egyptian gods are probably a little miffed, too. But Cthulu's likely still on your side, at least.

Sunday, gray, though no more thunder. (Yesterday we had a constant rumble for over an hour in the morning, and a return in the evening.)

I finally got a story subbed, so that's my bravery test for the day.

Otherwise, not much worth noting. About to grab lunch if the kitchen's empty.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I got the contract for the story sale done. It’s for UFO8(!!!). I’m so excited!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Yes, the plant was on iffy ground for a while (since the company was bought by Hitachi 3 years ago). It had a plan to sell this plant evidently, over the past year. It was about to do so when COVID hit. Since this plant makes exclusively automotive parts, and all our customers stopped making cars... we died. The parts we are making will be shifted to one of the other 6 plants in the company. That area will indeed be badly affected.

My regular computer is at the shop for data recovery after having a serious issue. Now my laptop, which I'm using in the meantime, is having trouble charging.

No, not Greek Gods. Computer Leprechauns. Yeah I know. Scary things. What? You've never heard of them? Guess I'll have to explain. However, good news is that if you catch one, they will bless you with electronics luck. I suggest setting out out some cheese. Why cheese? Well, computer Leprechauns are blind so they use mice to guide them, The mice will sniff out the cheese and lead the leprechauns to your trap. Good Luck to you, my friend.

(LOL. I made that up as I typed. Sounds like they would be good in a urban fantasy story though...)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I was putting a book back on my shelf and my hand strayed past Pratchett's Night Watch and I recalled the scene where Vimes stops a mop by not offering violence in return and wondered whether we wouldn't be a better place if more people had read this book.

Folks, I do miss the great man. He really knew people. I wish I could write like that.

May whatever chaos god or computer leprechaun that currently has you in their sights, forget about you soon. :Hug2:

In nature news, the cherry tree has ripened and we've been picking alllll the cherries and will bake allll the cherry flavored things.
Sounds tasty. :Cake: Have fun!

Ours are only just ripening, but the pigeons and other big birds have pretty much thrown most of the fruit down. I never got what is is about cherries that our harvest is always already destroyed before they're ripe. I doubt unripe cherry taste that much better to them. The apples, brambles and other berries are never treated with such disdain.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I got the contract for the story sale done. It’s for UFO8(!!!). I’m so excited!

I'm so happy for you and I'm happy that somebody has something good going on. It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

I offer hugs to all who want or need them.

Last night was a rough night in the city seven miles south of me. The pizza place where I used to work had their windows smashed like a bunch of others in the downtown area.

Starting tonight there's a curfew.

I wonder how many people will turn to us as writers to interpret and describe the times we're living in? What would we tell them?

Right now, I've got the local news on and the newscaster looked like she was fighting back tears as she went down the list of damage and fires and everything else from last night. These days are going to have an impact on what we write and what gets published for some time.

EFB, I'm jealous of your cherry tree. I love working with cherries. They're in the stores now and so I looked at my Youtube videos to see if there were any cherry ice cream videos I haven't done. I've got four so far but I'm sure I could come up with another. I love cherry ice cream.

Hugs and ice cream to all those who want or need them!

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Woke up to an R in the inbox, but I'm not feeling much more than mild disappointment, if that. Maybe not subbing last year helped give my skin a chance to thicken. That sucker's getting sent right back out.

FF: I agree and add that the world might be a better place if more people would just plain read, especially fiction, from a variety of authors. IMO, one of fiction's greatest qualities is that it can help us see the world from someone else's perspective and develop empathy, which a lot of people could use more of right now.

JJ: I'm excited on your behalf! That's so cool!

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks, y'all, and *hugs* joeyc.

Story is back out. Fingers crossed!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Yesterday evening my parents took my dog Sofi and their dog, Lucy, on a walk to the river that's ten minutes away. While at the river the dogs' leashes got tangled and my dad accidentally dropped Sofi's leash. She has one of those retractable leashes with a plastic handle, so when the plastic handle hit the sidewalk, it frightened her so much she bolted. She apparently ran all the way home.

My dad tried to chase after her, but Sofi can be fast when she needs to. I, who was at home, heard yapping, but dismissed it as the neighbor's noisy mutt. Turns out the yapping was poor Sofi on the steps to the front door. My poor baby!

When my parents got home and let her inside, she made a beeline to me on my bed. This has never happened before and, hopefully, will never happen again. Yes, Sofi isn't the bravest dog, but it seems unlike her to run all the way home.

So that was scary. Now I'm even more worried about bringing her on my family's trip at the end of the month. But we have no other choice. Luckily, the dog trainer gave me tips on handling the car trip.

How is everyone else?

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Just booked my corona-test this evening. *sigh* Very mild symptoms. Pretty sure it isn't COVID as it's not like you can't catch any other bug these days, but the parents are in the risk category so not chancing it. Holed up in my room at the moment and missing out on the birthday party.

Woke up to an R in the inbox, but I'm not feeling much more than mild disappointment, if that. Maybe not subbing last year helped give my skin a chance to thicken. That sucker's getting sent right back out.
That's the spirit!

FF: I agree and add that the world might be a better place if more people would just plain read, especially fiction, from a variety of authors. IMO, one of fiction's greatest qualities is that it can help us see the world from someone else's perspective and develop empathy, which a lot of people could use more of right now.
Yes, yes. All true. Empathy is essential for society.

Sorry, EFB. I know the feeling. I just got a rejection last night.
*hugs*

I finally called the clinic and was told I can't get in to see anybody until July. I can barely walk. This really sucks.
Aww, sorry to hear that, Ted. Really sucky indeed.

When my parents got home and let her inside, she made a beeline to me on my bed. This has never happened before and, hopefully, will never happen again. Yes, Sofi isn't the bravest dog, but it seems unlike her to run all the way home.
Scary indeed. Poor doggy. Although I think it is somewhat reassuring that she knows the way home and considers it a safe space. But yeah, not ideal on further outings.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My release date is finalized on June 20th! I've been waiting for this moment since I was eight. I always thought by the time I graduated high school I'd have like a dozen published books, but one in my early twenties isn't so bad. So mark your calendars for the release of THE DOOR IN MY HAND! I'm so excited. I haven't been this happy or excited about anything for a long time! I just want to party, but I have things to do marketing and uploading and making sure everything's just right.

@friendlyfrog- Oh my! I hope everything turns out all right.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I finally called the clinic and was told I can't get in to see anybody until July. I can barely walk. This really sucks.

Oh Ted, I'm sorry you're having to struggle with that. Hang in there. *piles anti-inflammatory smibbles around you*

Yesterday evening my parents took my dog Sofi and their dog, Lucy, on a walk to the river that's ten minutes away. While at the river the dogs' leashes got tangled and my dad accidentally dropped Sofi's leash. She has one of those retractable leashes with a plastic handle, so when the plastic handle hit the sidewalk, it frightened her so much she bolted. She apparently ran all the way home.

I'm glad she's okay now. If you're planning to take her on a road trip, I would suggest that you NOT use a retractable leash while traveling. They're harder to hang on to, more likely to cause injuries, and personally I think they teach dogs terrible habits by rewarding them for pulling on the leash.

On a lighter note, I hope your trip goes well. :)

My release date is finalized on June 20th! I've been waiting for this moment since I was eight. I always thought by the time I graduated high school I'd have like a dozen published books, but one in my early twenties isn't so bad. So mark your calendars for the release of THE DOOR IN MY HAND! I'm so excited. I haven't been this happy or excited about anything for a long time! I just want to party, but I have things to do marketing and uploading and making sure everything's just right.

Congratulations!

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score

@friendlyfrog- Oh my! I hope everything turns out all right.

Yay, Starrystorm :Hug2:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: for those with good news and :Hug2:for those with less good news.

Word count for my New Shiny is at 1234 and this may honestly be the pinnacle of my writing career.