The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Cantina.

Ninja babies are growing. [At night they play luchador on the bed to diversify their skills.] The boy cat has been named T'challa, and the girl cat is Tigger. [She's a black tiger/tabby.]

I have to run some errands today. Minor trips out to the stores to pick up a few items that we are running low on and I forgot on the last few trips. Have already done some housework. Probably more later, plus maybe some words? Not sure yet.

Aggy, busybusybusy [but also napping]

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's not a shopping trip unless you forget something... even with a list, something is always forgotten.

Sunday morning, sunny and crisp, and I'm poking around at site and review stuff this morning. The afternoon will involve more help gathering garbage (which practically translates into me moving a few things, then standing around while waiting to hear what else I'm supposed to be doing, because I know from bitter experience not to touch anything without being specifically told), with an eye to calling trash removal places starting tomorrow. At this point, I figure we have at least one large truck's worth of trash, and we're nowhere near through.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon, Cantina.

Ninja babies are growing. [At night they play luchador on the bed to diversify their skills.] The boy cat has been named T'challa, and the girl cat is Tigger. [She's a black tiger/tabby.]

You have new kitties and you haven't posted pictures?!

(Ignoring that there are likely other places pictures might have been posted that I don't follow.)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sunday evening, and after digging around in all manner of old help forums and arcane command prompt lines and hidden device folders and whatnot, I have officially given up on getting my MP3 talking to my computer again; just ordered a new one, which will of course cause the problem to fix itself.

Otherwise, got some reading in, got my exercise in, helped move some heavy junk to the junk pile (old mimeographs should be used to anchor aircraft carriers - dang those things are heavy!), and am about to do some spitballing to earn myself an Expanse episode. (Wish I knew when S4 would debut, to time my rewatching; halfway through S2 right now.)

And I still haven't come up with a danged ornament idea that sounds both doable by Xmas and interesting enough to prevent another "dragon incident" (last year's ornaments grew to larger-than-tree-sized dragons due to a cascading series of miscalculations, all stemming from me being too bored by my original, very simple idea of Chinese lanterns, so this year I'm automatically dismissing anything that seems boringly simple... unfortunately eliminating the only things I've come up with.)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Had a more or less productive weekend. House maintance, gardening work and civic duting (voting in local election): all taken care of! Too bad the list of things to do is so long it's straight back to the next thing on it and no time for even a tiny gloat in a work well done. Next up: work, planting trees, cleaning the pond and taking care of three familymembers's technical problems. (Joy to be everybody's tech support...)

Goat sighting?? Where?? I think y'all been hittin' the booze too hard!
Oh stop yer bleating. :ROFL:

I think someone sicced a gremlin on me again.
But was it sparkly?

This is the really fun part: the applied arts program there is called the Occupational, Workforce, and Leadership Studies, which they abbreviate as OWLS.

Guys, I am going to study for my OWLS! :banana:
:hooray:

Somebody somewhere is now so smug they managed to get that acronym accepted. Well played, anonymous person.

I got a job offer! WOohoo!!
:hooray:

Sunday evening, and after digging around in all manner of old help forums and arcane command prompt lines and hidden device folders and whatnot, I have officially given up on getting my MP3 talking to my computer again; just ordered a new one, which will of course cause the problem to fix itself.
I had that last year with my dad's XP computer and the back-up drive. So annoying. Lucky for me the problem was a relative common one and the fix wasn't too arcane. I'd have been in a real pickle otherwise.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the job offer, GreenDragon.

Monday morning, my head is still congested. It's been like two weeks at this point. Had a doctor's appointment LAST week, didn't offer any relief, sent me to an ENT. The ENT, unfortunately, couldn't take me until tomorrow. So I've been miserable. It's really been putting a damper on my writing. I'm so close to 60,000, too.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I’ve been accepted at Texas State University! I have an associate’s degree (which was more than enough for graphic design back when I started), but I’d like to level up on this.

This is the really fun part: the applied arts program there is called the Occupational, Workforce, and Leadership Studies, which they abbreviate as OWLS.

Guys, I am going to study for my OWLS! :banana:
Congratulations! And also: Yay, nerds!

(Ignoring that there are likely other places pictures might have been posted that I don't follow.)
Pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures!

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Reading my 2017 Nano draft for the first time. Almost a year later. Never opened the file after winning Nano. Because writing 50k with only 4 days to conceive and outline that idea was SO. HARD. I was pretty sure there wasn't a salvageable word or premise to the entire thing. If (IF) I ever revisited it, I thought I would chuck those 50k and start over.

But... (and I'm curling my toes and sucking air at the sheer tentativeness of this 'but') But it kept me up past my bedtime last night reading it and got me out of bed early this morning (miraculous, really). I honestly don't know what to think. It's been a roller coaster, but I can't help wondering if I just hated it because of how difficult it was to write. I was so unexcited about it last year. And it does need so much work. So what exactly am I excited about now? I wish I knew. Maybe I'd know what was salvageable if I did. Unfortunately, my revision skills are weak. As is my ability to stick with a project to the end. I really want to fix both of those things about me, but I have this new shiney I'm excited about for this Nano, and.... Good lord, this is embarrassing. I need help.:e2coffee: Something to make me finish. Like, deadlines. :tongue

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures, pictures!

Behold, a Tweet with pics from this morning.

They are still smol kittehs, but close to double in size from when we got them. Also in that "raise hell" age. Came bouncing into the bedroom to literally pounce all over me and sit on my head to purr in my ear this morning about 6 AM to demand breakfast.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
FF - Yeah, sometimes the fix is easy, sometimes it's impossible... I considered testing it on someone else's computer (may still), but it's kinda useless to me if I can't get the MP3 talking to my machine with the stuff I want on it. And it's not that old of an MP3 player, either. Dang it.

joeyc - The walk-in clinic guy I went to a few years ago about head stuff was a huge fan of neti pot/rinses... which works when stuff can go through one's sinuses, not so much when it can't. Good luck on finding some answers (never a given with medicine, but still)!

Mary Love - That state of insanity is normal for writers. I keep attacking my NaNo novels, myself - I know it's a matter of digging down and fixing some fundamental flaws, but I keep chickening out, even though I know my brain won't let go until I do.

Aggy B. - Cute kitties! Long may they purr!

Monday morning, and got up way earlier than I intended this morning (sibling was in a Mood, which for some reason means everyone in the household must be woken up for things we can do nothing about right now.) But I have Stuff I need to do, and likely a grocery store run some time today, so I suppose it's just as well. Would've been nice to get that little extra snooze-time, though; back on a decent dream cycle, which counts as excitement when your life is as boring as mine. (I consider it proof that my brain is still capable of creativity, for all that it's comatose when I try to actually write.)

Off I wander.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

They are still smol kittehs, but close to double in size from when we got them. Also in that "raise hell" age. Came bouncing into the bedroom to literally pounce all over me and sit on my head to purr in my ear this morning about 6 AM to demand breakfast.
Aaaaaawwww!!!! So cute! They really do look like little ninjas. XD

Hiya, Cantina. Soooo...I started out my morning by accidentally dumping half my breakfast onto my lap. That was fun. :p And a little hot...but da puppy happily helped me clean it up, so it turned out okay. Things have gone a bit better since then. I got one major part of preparing my Etsy shop for the holidays done. There's still more to do, but this was something that I felt was important to get done, asap, and I hope it helps convert more of those clicks I get into sales. (I really need to move some of my bigger crochet items. I'm running out of places to put them. XD)

In writing news...well...there is no writing news because I gave my weekend up to do that Etsy stuff. Honestly, that should probably just become a permanent part of my schedule as that's what ends up happening most of the time anyway: Weekdays=writing. Weekends=Etsy stuff. It is now a week day, and I am DETERMINED to get back to the writing and writing research stuff. I will go do it now! *flies away to do the thing*

:cape:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score

Dawww.

Fair warning: they aren't guaranteed to grow out of the "wake up Mom, want breakfast!" bit, though they may become less bouncy about it.

Need an alarm to remember to do something at a specific time of day? Make it "give the cats treats" time. They will remind you early, often and insistently.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

Congrats on the job offer, going back to school, and other good things!
Hugs to all who need them. *provides a basket with genetically modified smibbles who's only purpose is to give hugs*
Hopefully that won't backfire any.

In a pissy mood today. ISP has been partially down since Friday. The issue is unknown. Massive pings and timeouts. For once, it's nothing here at the house, although this is the same issue we've called about for months. It just hasn't been this bad. I know the weather change has a lot to do with it but come on people, FIX YOUR SHIT! Twitter rant if you want to know more.

Today is catch up day with freelance work while the internet is somewhat stable. I know it will get worse as the day progresses. Then I'll just edit for the rest of the day. Maybe do some reading.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In a pissy mood today. ISP has been partially down since Friday. The issue is unknown. Massive pings and timeouts. For once, it's nothing here at the house, although this is the same issue we've called about for months. It just hasn't been this bad. I know the weather change has a lot to do with it but come on people, FIX YOUR SHIT!

Dunno if it's relevant, but for a while we were having phone Issues that the company kept trying to blame on us. Turns out a junction box almost half a mile away was cracked/damaged; rainwater kept getting in and messing things up. Took multiple complaints before they finally tracked it down, because their go-to explanation is always that it's the customer's fault.

(And, at work, I know someone who has been sans internet since the start of the month. They finally got sick of Concast and went with another company, who - last I heard - was having to dig up lines not only through her yard, but through her neighbors and neighbor's neighbors yards before they could begin to offer the services they promised. I'm betting they make her pay for the full month of service, too...)

Got my morning stuff done, so now I'm wondering if I should make a store run (there's a List), or if I'll be held up by relatives who want to "ride along" and at least triple said List.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno if it's relevant, but for a while we were having phone Issues that the company kept trying to blame on us. Turns out a junction box almost half a mile away was cracked/damaged; rainwater kept getting in and messing things up. Took multiple complaints before they finally tracked it down, because their go-to explanation is always that it's the customer's fault.

Nope they cant blame it on us. We have THEIR modem and a serviceman was out on Sat to check on the issues. Modem is fine. All of the equipment here at the house is fine and has been replaced within the past 6 months. There's an issue SOMEWHERE but since it's intermittent it's difficult to track. Good news is we will be prorated this month as this was one of the higher up techs and he's seen the pingtests etc we've been running.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
We had an issue with Frontier when we lived in Nowhere Amish Country. The same thing - several visits, several equipment changes, only to find the junction box was practically rotted out. When they replaced THAT (it involved them actually sending a repairman who physically LOOKED at the thing rather than just sending test signals) it worked fine.

I wrote up my scene list to go with my synopsis today. Now to work on some character profiles. Getting ready for that NaNo Love.

My character, Merle, has changed her name. She is now Wilda Permelia Firestone, Time Tourist Outfitter Extraordinaire. Grandmother type with full sarcasm.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
greendragon - Oooh, great name! Packs a lot of personality into three words!

Aggy B. - They grow up so fast...

Monday night, and it feels like Sunday, mostly because I really want an extra day between me and work on Wednesday. Still gathering junk together for Operation Junk Truck. Said truck is supposed to be here some time after noon tomorrow, and the junk will be going away, and I will probably get nothing else done because I'll be laughing that giddy, insane laugh of someone who has just watched over forty years' worth of trash disappearing down the road. (Not technically everything, but one heck of a start. I figure we have the equivalent of over two sedans of junk to haul off. Not cargo capacity sedans, or just what you could stick in the trunk or anything - bumper to bumper mass equivalent.)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Will be heading to the woods today, to repair a shed door and plant some plants hopefully and equally hopefully not find any more effin' vandalism. And not get stuck in the mud would be great too.

Monday morning, my head is still congested. It's been like two weeks at this point. Had a doctor's appointment LAST week, didn't offer any relief, sent me to an ENT. The ENT, unfortunately, couldn't take me until tomorrow. So I've been miserable. It's really been putting a damper on my writing. I'm so close to 60,000, too.
Man that sucks. I hope the ENT will be able to help. :Hug2:

I need help.:e2coffee: Something to make me finish. Like, deadlines. :tongue
Not often I hear someone wishing for deadlines. :tongue

Awwww, so unbelievably cute. They grow up fast but they are so adorable while they're at it!

FF - Yeah, sometimes the fix is easy, sometimes it's impossible... I considered testing it on someone else's computer (may still), but it's kinda useless to me if I can't get the MP3 talking to my machine with the stuff I want on it. And it's not that old of an MP3 player, either. Dang it.
Yeah it sucks. Right now I'm trying to figure out VPN connections for the computers at home and I don't understand half of what the computer is saying (or not saying, because some of those messages are damn unhelpful. 'a programme on your computer is blocking...' yesIknowitis, just tell me which onnnnnne!!! :rant: but I digress.) and I feel rather stupid I can't figure it out.

Hiya, Cantina. Soooo...I started out my morning by accidentally dumping half my breakfast onto my lap. That was fun. :p And a little hot...but da puppy happily helped me clean it up, so it turned out okay.
Careful though, puppy may think this is the new way of breakfast and may come to like it. ;)

My character, Merle, has changed her name. She is now Wilda Permelia Firestone, Time Tourist Outfitter Extraordinaire. Grandmother type with full sarcasm.
I'm sure it's been said before, but I'd read that.

Said truck is supposed to be here some time after noon tomorrow, and the junk will be going away, and I will probably get nothing else done because I'll be laughing that giddy, insane laugh of someone who has just watched over forty years' worth of trash disappearing down the road.
Mind you, that's a good laugh to have.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
So because I at some point decided to do a deep dive into cat nutrition, I'll be helping one of my Mum's friends pick new cat food today. Hopefully, we can get sample sizes. Buying twelve kilos of a food you're not sure they'll eat is not good. Her cats are apparently very picky.

D'aaaaaw...

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Yay! I was productive. I updated my website with things that have sold and some new stuff I've made.

I got a visit from a couple (potters) who ran a small gallery back where I used to live. They carried a bunch of my jewelry, but had to close down earlier this year. They made the trip up to visit a friend and drop off all my stuff. They came with a surprise! Evidently, after they'd closed, some regular customers came by, disappointed they had closed. They'd specifically come for my jewelry... so the potters brought out my stuff in their home, and the customers bought $3000 worth of my jewelry! Woohoo! A nice bonus :D

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Huzzah! Get yourself a little something nice before the rest evaporates into bills, etc. :snoopy:

Mom's craft show debut met with modest success. The place was not teeming with people but she made a few sales, some of them even not to her sister. The venture isn't profitable yet but a good chunk of the startup costs have been covered.

And of course the next day the long-squealing belt on the car finally gives out. Fortunately it was just the belt.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tuesday morning, and already got the car moved out of the way. Soon I will be expected to help move an old fridge out front to the pile. I want to get a picture of the pile before it goes away, for posterity.

Amazon just told me part of my latest order was undeliverable and returned to their warehouse - after the rest of the order arrived just fine. I don't know what the heck is up with them sometimes; I think their subcontractors leave a lot to be desired. (Family members have had the "undeliverable" notice arrive while they were holding the item in their hands; hopeful it'll still get here, but if not I'll be hitting another store. I want my book, dang it... and if they pull this with my MP3 player I'm driving down to their warehouse to personally kick someone.)

And I think I have an idea for an Xmas ornament theme that strikes the happy medium between boringly simple and too elaborate, though part of me wants to do a second side project that involves glow in the dark stuff again. (I've done glow in the dark for family before, and I don't like to repeat if I can help it, but sitting in the dark painting with glowing paint was still one of the coolest ornament-related things I've ever done, so I'd kinda like to do it again, even just for me.) With luck, I can gather supplies and get going on that by the weekend (when I can get into my shed again; as for why I can't right now, please refer to my description of the size of the junk pile in the front yard...)

Away I wander.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
T'Challa, Tigger, & Wilda Permelia Firestone are all a+ names

comic con was great! there were SO MANY good cosplays. I listened to a panel of professional cosplayers giving out tips to newbies... in the end, though, it made me realize how much energy goes into it. I should focus my energy on writing; I barely have enough to spare for that as is

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jade Rothwell - I've always admired good cosplayers for that very reason: it looks like an incredible time (and money) sink, and one must have a certain extraordinary passion to do it and do it right. As for me, a fancy T-shirt is probably as close as I'll ever get to cosplaying... if I want to pony up the T-shirt money.

Tuesday evening, and on the plus side, Mount Junkmore is gone and I can once again park in the driveway (Pretty much filled their largest truck - and they couldn't take our metal because the old fridge ate up most of that compartment.) On the minus side, the kitchen sink is busted and won't be fixed until tomorrow after I've left for work. So we got to eat out... but we didn't get to go anywhere else because we had to rush home in case the plumbers came this evening. Which kinda sucks, as I wanted to hit Michael's for ornament supplies. Guess I'll be doing that after work some time this week.

Oh, and that "undeliverable" Amazon package... they're now claiming it was "damaged," and will refund me. Why not send me another book? Meh... guess I'll be ordering from B&N after all. (They apparently have an online 3-paperbacks-for-$30 sale through the 6th; the entire currently-published Expanse series is part of that, incidentally if anyone's interested in starting or continuing their collection.)

So, off to B&N.com...