The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sunday, just past noon, and the region will be flirting with snow all week. Current forecast is against ice, but I'm wondering if I should try to get some chains as I don't think they allow us to use studded tires anymore in this state... not that that would help, as I can't run chains on the freeway and I need the freeway to get to work. (Which will be starting two hours early all week, because we're running an eight hour shift instead of a five hour shift, because HR considers it preferable to overwork an already-overworked skeleton crew than actually hire new bodies... of which we got three, which still makes us two or three short of a full shift. And I'm not holding my breath on all three lasting.)

Fighting Sisyphus. May finally have an opening scene that's working after a week of attacking it. Not feeling very confident about this one, TBH, but nothing else is coming to me and I have to get something going. I'd hoped to have a rough draft by the end of the month, but with overtime and everything I'm not holding my breath on that.

Otherwise, not much. Dad had a probable UTI, but he's doing better on antibiotics. Mom still can't get a vaccine appointment for anything; supply is beyond anemic and clinics are swamped, and the "walk ins" expect senior citizens to stand in line for hours to maybe (not at all guaranteed) get a shot, which is unsafe and impractical (and downright impossible for Dad, who is essentially incontinent at this point and can't stand that long at all anymore.) And now there's talk about opening it up to everyone, when many people on the current tier can't even get shots as it is...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do the bees like snow or do they hibernate?

In a sense, yes. When the temperatures drop below 50F (thereabouts), the hive will cluster into a ball the size of a grapefruit for warmth. This past week we were in mid-to-high 40s, so the girls were breaking cluster to take cleansing flights, forage, and clean out their dead. Hoping we get another couple of days like that in the coming weeks AFTER a nice snowfall.

On the Sysyphus writing front I am progressing, slowly but that's better than nothing.

This is the way.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Was suddenly inspired to stop by. Just taking a break from kicking a$$ and taking names*

*eating cookies and drinking tea

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Whoa, 10s and Hillary are back! *waves enthusiastically* :D

This is the way.

THIS IS THE WAY. Srsly though, it seems like most of us Sisyphus-ers are complaining about slowness this year. At least we can all keep each other company in the slow lane. :)

Well, it's been an interesting weekend. Saturday was quiet enough, but on Sunday we had to go out and ended up with a big ol' bolt in our tire. Thankfully, we were passing our preferred Goodyear store when we noticed the noise and were able to pull right in and check it out rather than have a blowout. Got the people there to look at it and OF COURSE the bolt had angled itself so that it was too close to the wall of the tire and they couldn't patch it, so they had to replace it. And because we have All Wheel Drive and all the computerized doohickeys that run cars these days complicate everything, we had to have ALL the tires replaced so the computers wouldn't have a freak out about uneven tires, not to mention other damage that could be done due to unevenness. We did actually need to replace the tires soon, but didn't necessarily have the money to do it right at that exact moment, plus because it was a Sunday, we couldn't call and have our Goodyear card credit limit extended (and they couldn't do that in the store.) *eye twitch* Mom ended up having to write a check, then run to the bank this morning to move some money around so the check wouldn't bounce when it went through. A little on the stressful side, but it's done now and we're just grateful we didn't end up in a car accident. Also, I'm glad I always bring a book with me "just in case" because replacing all the tires took 2 hours, which we had to spend sitting in the fix it shop because it wasn't like we could drive somewhere else.

Today, I've been making forward progress on the Sisyphus after being stuck over the weekend. Fingers crossed the progress continues for the rest of the week.
In weather news, we too supposedly have the possibility of good snow later in the week. It would be nice to actually get to wear the snow boots we accidentally got last year after trying to order a blanket from a catalog and being sent totally the wrong thing. The customer service rep gave us the option of sending them back or keeping them for free, and ironically they were in my size, so we were like, heck, why not keep them? And it hasn't snowed since. I want snow. *sniffles*

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I don't mind snow. It's the ice that's hell...

Monday afternoon, and procrastinating on Sisyphus.

This morning I got a call from work. They're desperate for people to work a long shift Tuesday. So I'm working eight hours, Tuesday through Friday. It's not going to be fun, but it's essentially doubling my paycheck for the week. My guess is it's only going to be a week or two of long-shift, so I'll take the OT while I can.

Mom finally got her and Dad pre-approved for their COVID shots, but still haven't found a place to actually get vaccinated. Still, pre-approval's a step forward. I hope.

We've had snow dusting the mountaintops, but so far no ice (knock on plywood.)

And I need to cover the car tonight because it's going to get cold and I don't want to scrape tomorrow. Will be tired enough going in early... and I just set my alarm while I'm thinking of it. Before 6 AM is way, way too early to get up and have to stay up...

Back to beating my head against Sisyphus. Work, dang it... stupid, lousy, dumb, stupid story of stupidness...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back to beating my head against Sisyphus. Work, dang it... stupid, lousy, dumb, stupid story of stupidness...

Don’t lose too much sleep over how good/bad your story is. Merely the act of writing it is what makes the event, and the people who participate, so special.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cold and gray here on the US east coast, but we got a nice, thin layer of icy snow. Other than that, just banging away at a WIP.

What’s everyone else writing?

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
*tentatively walks in and starts dusting the shelves and fluffing pillows*
Anybody home?

• Love
Reactions: MaeZe

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Helloooooo. Is the chocolate still good?
*checks cupboards*
Thank goodness someone thought to put a Preservatives Spell on these before locking up. Looks like all the foodstuff is good. But these dust bunnies are running rampant.

Reactions: MaeZe