The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
@Rel: *eye twitches* I think a discovery like that would put me off tea for a while...

Evening, Cantina. Hope everyone is doing well this evening. Had a couple more kids in Sunday school than usual this week. They were a little mischievous but not necessarily in a bad way and they didn't get out of control, so it was a pretty fun time and they enjoyed the craft we had for them. Pretty much all of my afternoon after church was spent dusting the house. Lots of things are significantly cleaner and more organized now.

In writing news, thanks to some online writer friends I'm in a group chat with, I have now discovered "crawls" on the Nanowrimo forums. Totally hadn't heard of such a thing before. If they're new to anyone besides me, the crawls seem to all have a theme of some sort: anything from self care to movie or book themes, etc. The person who puts them together basically creates a series of small writing goals you work towards and they're all related to the theme. Like with this Beauty and the Beast themed one I was looking at where you sprint to 200 words as you (as Belle) "walk through town towards the bookshop," and then you're at the book shop and you go grab your favorite book and write as many words as the book has pages. So on and so forth.

I wasn't expecting such a thing to be helpful to me but my chat friends and I worked on a self care themed crawl this evening. I didn't even stick around for the whole thing and yet I got over 800 words in ONE HOUR even with a couple small breaks and distractions. Y'all. I can't even. I don't remember the last time I got that many words in such a focused manner in one hour, especially not this month. Crawls are coolness!!! I think even when no one's around to do them with me I'm gonna try using crawls more often to see if they keep boosting my word count like this. If they do I may well reach my goal of finishing this draft by the end of the year after all!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Dinner's done, dishes washed, and I can't do any more damage in my workshed today (Apoxie dries to the touch in a few hours, but best to give it more time before manhandling it like I need to in order to proceed), so I'm winding down the day in my room. Will probably do some reading, some spitball writing, and some Netflixing, not necessarily in that order. Really do need to get back to reading more, though, now that I'm not so coughy or sneezy as to risk whatever I'm reading being covered in diseased phlegm. (Diseased Phlegm... there's a grunge band that's never getting out of their mom's garage...)

Off I wander.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs and hankies to all in need of those. :Hug2:Yay for wordage and other creative pursuits.

NewCat is currently known as the Cat Without A Name as my dad is still (futilly, in my opinion) looking for the purrrfect cat-name. Since the cat's been here a week and he still doesn't know what to call him, I've given him an ultimatum until tuesday. We'll be taken the cat to the vet's then and if he doesn't choose a name, I will do so for him. It's kinda hard to form a bond with a cat if you have nothing to call it. 'Cat' only goes so far.

NewCat despite still being nameless is doing fairly well. He's still very cuddly, but it's been a weeklong war with keeping him out of the bottom end of the sofa in the room. He's a bright cat and keeps finding ways to crawl beneath the sofa and everyday I have to find new ways to block it off. By now almost half of the sofa is stuffed with plastic. But he has taken to the scratching post, so that's good. Now I've only got him to accept the pet basket, he doesn't like it for some reason and he doesn't seem very reactive to catnip.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Grr. I really want another project to work on for when I get stuck on my Barney and Mr. Thomas series, but I keep comparing everything to it and end up hating every other project I write, because I'm comparing so hard. :Headbang:

@ Friendly Frog, I read that it is estimated that only 50-75% of house cats react to catnip, your new cat may not take to it. There also proof that younger and older cats don't react to it as well as middle-aged cats. It makes me kind of glad that kittens don't react that well to it, because a kitten on catnip would be a crazy, hyper disaster.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never been overly fond of catnip, myself. When I had multiple cats, catnip and real animal products (feathers, fur, and leather) were always triggers for fighting. Plus the idea that you have to essentially drug a cat to get it to play with a toy just rubs me the wrong way... means the toy is poorly designed, or it's an excuse not to personally interact with a pet. Always felt like a crutch to me. (The fact that most every commercial cat toy is laced with the stuff is another rant altogether.)

Monday morning, misty and damp out there, and the bug is down to a little throat tickle/lung scunge. For now. I don't trust the thing not to loop back on me and reboot.

Plans for the day mostly involve shed work. Plus I really should get back to that lousy course, just to finish it. (I see books go through the library all the time that teach programming with practical application and projects from the start, not just long tedious lists of jargon that means nothing if I don't know what to do with it or how I'd ever use it. If I do decide to stick with this, even as a hobby/to get my brain doing something different, I may opt for one of those books instead of this course.)

Off I wander.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Cantina.

I had another packed weekend. It wasn't even supposed to be eventful, but I ended up finding things to do. I'd much rather be busy than bored.

Winter is coming to town for a brief visit this week. Crazy to think, the high today was 64F. Tomorrow, the high won't make it above freezing. Wednesday will be the same.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
LadyV - Hopefully it was the good kind of busy. I'll take boredom over the bad kind of busy...

Monday afternoon, and some of the gray burned off. Got my exercise in, got a little more of that course done, and just finished the second shed round today. As of now, I think I'll have to replace the strings on those paper mache ornaments while I'm fixing them up. So I'll have to see if I can track down eyebolts to do the job, or if I'll have to twist more wire. Gah... it's always something...

And I still haven't reached the drilling step or priming, nor have I sat down and gone through my paints to see what needs replacing.

I'm considering scaling back somewhat on some of them... we shall see. I'm just feeling my self-imposed deadline breathing down my neck already. Plus overtime this week at work means I'll be too tired to do more than mess up if I try to get out to my shed after the job and shopping...

Why must time be persistently linear?

The sibling went out to the store, but she didn't take Dad because she had to get home in time to watch a rerun and determined he'd be too slow. We're trying to get him out once a week at least, dang it, but TV reruns take precedence over her own father. It shouldn't irk me, but it does. I may be going out tomorrow (Mom's waiting until tomorrow to call the shop and the tow company about her car, and will probably need a ride if it ends up being towed, which it probably will), so maybe we can get him out then.

Anyway, just chilling a bit before I have to start dinner.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys! Got a massive infusion of yarn, and I've been wildly busy trying to get ahead of Christmas with my gift giving. So far, I'm not making a lot of headway, but we're getting there!

Also, went to the doctor last week. I've gained four pounds! YAY!!! Also scheduled for a double bill -- endoscopy AND colonoscopy at the same time -- in the second week of December. Less yay. But it's all for a good cause; if this goes well, I'll be able to start a medication that will help me gain weight more normally, and maybe do away with some, if not all, the malnutrition and its fallout.

In writing news, I got a question for y'all. So I have this worldbuilding experiment I've been playing with for a while. Kinda steampunk/dieselpunk. It's a city-state wherein I can put a lot of little stories. Got lots of characters and settings already worked out. But I need a name.

In the setting, the city was founded by a Nicola Tesla type person, a scientific genius with more than a few "issues." Like Tesla, he built himself the ultimate laboratory/mansion, on top of the hill, so that it overlooks the whole city. Tesla named his own place, "Wardenclyffe." I ADORE this idea. But I need a name for the place, as evocative and cool as "Wardenclyffe." Any suggestions?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jallenecs - Cliffwarde, maybe? A nod to Tesla without being a direct link. Or Highwatch...

Monday evening, and dinner is done. Really need to remember that the only times the one store sells pre-seasoned meat (like parmesan chicken breast) is to cover up for subpar meat... Edible, but not much more. Eh, well... should really make my own fancy meat, but I'm incredibly lazy and put no points into cooking skills. Anything more complex than adding Mrs. Dash or a can of soup is really beyond my abilities.

The glasses place called; Dad's new glasses are ready already, though he only went in last Wednesday. This, I believe, is a record for them; it's usually at least a solid week. So tomorrow he needs to go down to get them fitted. (Tangentially, I always wondered how those online glasses places fitted the frames. Every time I get glasses, they have to mark them and adjust the temples and do all sorts of little things to get them to sit right and not warp your vision. Are you supposed to do that yourself with online bought glasses, or just trust that you have an impossibly symmetric face and eye placement and not worry about it?)

So I guess Dad gets his day out this week after all. Will probably be me driving, which is just as well as I have a jar of change to drop off at the nearby Coinstar; it used to let me shoot it directly into an Amazon card, which I could really use with the holidays rushing at me.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Either today or Thursday I'll be getting feedback on my first story in Barney and Mr. Thomas from my creative writing class classmates. :eek:. As you AWers know, I put a lot of heart into Barney and Mr. Thomas and I hope that my classmates will like it. Fingers crossed.

@Jallenecs. I think BrightDreamer's idea of CliffWarde is great.

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
*drops in* 'lo. :3

NaNoWriMo is going...well, I'm 7000 words ahead of schedule, so there's that. Though that brings me to the point that, um, well...is going to be...difficult to write. Emotionally.

*hides from the words she'll have to word sooner or later*

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm to pick up boyfriend at the airport today. The Sounders are having their big victory parade at the same time, so it's going to be fun getting through the area, even on the freeway. And the 99 tunnel isn't free any more!

I was entertained this morning by the pair of rufous-sided towhees that have been hanging out on the side of the house. They seem to like the old shopping trolley I keep there. This is the first time I've ever noticed this species in Seattle. They don't go to the feeders, only hang out by the trolley and the large cedar tree there. Strange.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
NewCat is currently known as the Cat Without A Name as my dad is still (futilly, in my opinion) looking for the purrrfect cat-name. Since the cat's been here a week and he still doesn't know what to call him, I've given him an ultimatum until tuesday. We'll be taken the cat to the vet's then and if he doesn't choose a name, I will do so for him. It's kinda hard to form a bond with a cat if you have nothing to call it. 'Cat' only goes so far.

Somehow, that reminded me of a very early Garfield strip:

John: Lyman, have you ever owned a cat.
Lyman: Oh yes, we had several when I was a kid.

John: What were their names?
Lyman: Cat, Cat, Cat, Cat, Cat, and Cat.

John: That's not very imaginative.
Lyman: Why spend a lot of time naming something that won't respond anyway.
Garfield: Truth!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cobalt Jade - Towhees are more ground-feeders; they'll go to those tray feeders if you have them, but IIRC they weren't big on tube feeders. They like to hop and kick to dig through leaf litter for tasties, so a tray feeder's more their speed.

Tuesday, late morning, and the day has been off kilter since this morning. We called AAA and they came unexpectedly fast, and the tow guy says it's a battery problem; the bolt on the connector is loose, so it can't get a good contact. He said O'Reilly could probably replace the end and get us a new universal bolt thing to hold the battery in place; we opted to take it to the mechanic's anyway. I'd almost bet money there's something else that needs doing on that car, because that is how cars operate. And we keep having frellin' battery issues so it's time an actual shop maybe helped us out. So I had to drive down to pick up Mom from the shop, and since were going out anyway we took Dad to get his new glasses. They look nice, and I think they work better, but with him and his poor vision (and his tendency not to actually answer questions or just say everything's great), who knows...

So the upshot is that I would've liked to have some site work and a shed round in before lunch, when instead I'm munching on a Safeway deli lunch right now having accomplished nothing but cashing out my change jar for an Amazon card. Which I should enter while I'm thinking about it.

And I'm going to lose some time tonight because I have to get up early tomorrow for early start at work. Still deciding if I should shower tonight so I can sleep a little longer or use simulated drowning to wake myself up as usual...

Mergh...

Anyway, will be heading out to my shed after I finish my lunch.

Mom has said she'll try to get the sibling to drive her down to the shop if the car's done today. I'm betting I'll have to take her tomorrow after work. (The sibling came upstairs a few time while the car fiasco was unfolding, and was just upset that we were going out without her. Because we totally planned our car problems and Dad's glasses pickup to mess with her... and I wish I were exaggerating. I danged near begged her to drive instead, because I have so much to do today, but she'd made up her mind that we were cutting her out of a trip and huffed off.)

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
@Junely Yarn infusions are the best infusions! And congrats on the weight gain! I'm so glad you're headed in a healthier direction.:Hug2:

Cantina! I wrote 1k words yesterday and then did it again today! In fact I got up to 1,800 today! I haven't written this much this fast since July! Exclamity!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Cantina.

Bright - it was the good kind of busy. I didn't have any plans scheduled then all of a sudden, both Saturday and Sunday were full.

I dodged a bullet in terms of working in the freezing cold today. I stayed at the shop and did some cleaning and organizing. Tomorrow, I may just stay home if my boss has nothing for me to do. I send him a text and left him a voicemail and have yet to get a response. I'd rather not drive all the way to work just to turn around and go home. It's happened before, and I'd like to avoid it.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tuesday evening, and got everything ready for work tomorrow at ungodsly-early o'clock.

I got some exercise in, but not my Expanse episode, which is really killing me because I wanted to wrap my rewatch today. Now I'll wrap it Saturday and have a dangling weekend where I have to start something else during exercise, but not something so long that it'll take me past mid-December when S4 drops (even though I'll mostly be binging that regardless of exercise, ornament progress willing.) And S3 of The Dragon Prince doesn't drop until November 22...

Stupid, lousy, non-coordinated season schedules...

Yeah, I know: the very definition of Not A Problem.

Dinner's done, dishes washed, and sandwich made for tomorrow. Also have my alarm set already. I'm fully anticipating no sleep tonight, because my brain always does that to me on early start nights.

And I'm not going to bother with that programming course tonight because I'm just not giving a frell right now. Am drained and done. Will probably Netflix for a bit, spitball/write yelly words at myself for not actually finishing a story or anything, then crawl into bed with a book.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cobalt Jade - Towhees are more ground-feeders; they'll go to those tray feeders if you have them, but IIRC they weren't big on tube feeders. They like to hop and kick to dig through leaf litter for tasties, so a tray feeder's more their speed.

That explains it! There's a layer of juicy leaf litter in that area, from the cedar and lilac.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Blergh. Head cold commencing. I had the 'ring of irritation' at the top of my throat Monday night. Now I'm stuffy and sore and still have to go into work. And it's 20F out. :( Nothing planned for this weekend, which is a good thing if I'm going to spend it being sick. My husband has a new toy (a Ninja Foodi) which is an airfryer and pressure coooker. But tonight he's making chicken soup in the crockpot for me.

On the bright side, I'm at 34,000 words on my Nano project. Yay! And I keep thinking about gathering my blog posts on how I wrote a book (from conception through marketing, a total of something like 20 long blog posts) and making a book out of it. It seems like books on how to write a book can sell well. Go figure.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I think I (like everyone else here it seems) am getting a tiny cold. I'm gonna blame it on you people because I read all of your complaints about being sick. And no, don't blame my cold on the change of seasons. It was you people. (I'm kidding. It was the change of seasons.)

So, my story for Barney and Mr. Thomas is going to be read to my creative writing classmates on Thursday! Eek! :eek:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Pfft... I had a cold before it was cool. ;)

Wednesday morning, heading off to work soon, and hoping the day doesn't suck on numerous levels for numerous reasons. At least I got some spotty sleep last night.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, Cantina.

I didn't go into work today on account of the frigid temperature. No complaints here. I've spent most of the day inside, expect for the few minutes I went out to refill the bird feeders.

Blergh. Head cold commencing. I had the 'ring of irritation' at the top of my throat Monday night. Now I'm stuffy and sore and still have to go into work. And it's 20F out. :( Nothing planned for this weekend, which is a good thing if I'm going to spend it being sick. My husband has a new toy (a Ninja Foodi) which is an airfryer and pressure coooker. But tonight he's making chicken soup in the crockpot for me.

On the bright side, I'm at 34,000 words on my Nano project. Yay! And I keep thinking about gathering my blog posts on how I wrote a book (from conception through marketing, a total of something like 20 long blog posts) and making a book out of it. It seems like books on how to write a book can sell well. Go figure.

Sorry to hear about the impending cold. I already dealt with my cold suffering back in October. Hope it doesn't last too long.

Oh, and if you decide to write a book about writing a book, I would totally buy it. I mean, you have the credentials to back up your process.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Working on a new MG project that is like Who Framed Roger Rabbit mixed with Spy Kids.

Yeah, I know. I explained it to my sister that way and her face was like "What the heck????". :Wha:/:crazy:

Anyways, I dug out my The Emotion Thesaurus for the first time in a while. I felt like my characters' actions were getting too repetitive.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Vet visit for NewCat went well. NewCat is now NamedCat! His cuddly fluffy greyness shall be known as Cirdan. And also officially a Belgian citizen.

@ Friendly Frog, I read that it is estimated that only 50-75% of house cats react to catnip, your new cat may not take to it. There also proof that younger and older cats don't react to it as well as middle-aged cats. It makes me kind of glad that kittens don't react that well to it, because a kitten on catnip would be a crazy, hyper disaster.
Yeah, heard that as well. NormalCat (probably will have to rename, as NewCat is looking to be as normal as NormalCat, without a PsychoCat and TraumaCat to contrast with) has never been interested in catnip either. We had nepeta plants in the garden en they went unmolested by our cats for years until one wet winter finished them off.

But it's hard to find stuff without catnip to help teach new cats what they can and can't touch. And I figured I had about a 50% chance of striking lucky.

I've never been overly fond of catnip, myself. When I had multiple cats, catnip and real animal products (feathers, fur, and leather) were always triggers for fighting. Plus the idea that you have to essentially drug a cat to get it to play with a toy just rubs me the wrong way... means the toy is poorly designed, or it's an excuse not to personally interact with a pet. Always felt like a crutch to me. (The fact that most every commercial cat toy is laced with the stuff is another rant altogether.)
Yeah, catnip seems to be freely used to hide a lot of faults in toys, until the scent wears out. Since the first cat we never bothered with catnip toys for all the others. But I was looking for a spray to draw his interest to things like the scratching post or the pet basket so he can claim them and if his scent is on them, he'll feel more at home.

Still, it was hilarious that one of the warnings that always came back in tiny print on the various catnip products I browsed was: 'Do not use on cat'. Dude, how is that not obvious?

John: That's not very imaginative.
Lyman: Why spend a lot of time naming something that won't respond anyway.
Garfield: Truth!
:roll:

While my cat does respond to his name (at the expense of many many cat snacks in his formative years), I'm fairly certain he thinks his name means 'food'.

It seems like books on how to write a book can sell well. Go figure.
Yeah, who knew, right? :ROFL:

I think I (like everyone else here it seems) am getting a tiny cold. I'm gonna blame it on you people because I read all of your complaints about being sick. And no, don't blame my cold on the change of seasons. It was you people. (I'm kidding. It was the change of seasons.)
Nonono, no being contageous in the Cantina until I got my flu-shot!

Last edited: