The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I have taken the easy way out. I critiqued the first 20 pages (of 370!!!!) and gave him several suggestions to help the flow of the narrative. I asked that he sweep through his novel with those changes in mind, and send it back to me. That way, I'll be able to concentrate more on the narrative than the mechanics. I did couch the critique with many positive statements as well.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - he is very intelligent and has a Bach in Arts - English. I think he just needs some direction and encouragement :) The story itself is intriguing (and I told him this!)

Studying English isn't necessarily the same thing as writing it, IMHO; I've read some stuff by degreed English people that seems like they've lost sight of the forest for intense scrutiny of individual trees. And no matter one's education level, reading can always show you a different way to write it (or not write it, as the case may be.)

Sounds like you found a good compromise, anyway.

About to head off to start dinner. Doing last-minute tweaks on the site, with an eye on a weekend update. (Incidentally, by my count, I transferred 1,435 book reviews. No wonder it took so freakin' long...)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
EEEEEH! Taking a short break from writing while I decide which next gap scene to tackle by noting that I am 3.5 scenes from being DONE with zee current pirate WIP. EEEEEH! (Don't ask me how many words...first draft, will fix later, la la la.)

That helps mitigate the fact that I had to take a sick day from work today because most of my day (and early hours this morning) were spent flat on my back, alternating with curled up like a pill bug due to badly pulled ab muscles. To the point I was moaning out loud for someone to kill me every time I sneezed or coughed (and of course I had allergies today. Of course.) Methinks I did those planks wrong... :/

Good news is after resting most of the day and careful stretching, as well as following other things recommended by the nurse line, I think I'm on the mend. So as long as I don't do anything stupid in the near future, like say planks again? I should be fine.

Hugs and sparkles to all those who need it. And yay on new gig, Raindrop!

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Doing a little better. Heard back from that job and they want to do an in-person interview (and it's supposed to take 2 hours). Time to get a haircut and dry-clean my suit.

Then I sent out a query to another agent today. Hopefully that one goes better.

Congrats on the job stuff, Raindrop.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I did get to see The Incredibles II. IT WAS SO GOOD!!! They did a great job picking up the threads from where the last one left off and it was so fun, but also suspenseful, but also funny, but also touching and sweet and thoughtful. My only regret is that I actually basically figured out who the villain was BEFORE WE GOT TO THE THEATER and I didn't even mean to! I've purposefully been avoiding spoilers and, aside from the commercials and one review from a trusted source that didn't spoil anything, I wanted to go in not knowing anything. But my mind was wandering yesterday and wondering what the connection was between one part of the story they'd shown in the trailers and another (I won't even say which parts lest I send the dominoes falling for anyone else) and...I don't even know what happened. It just clicked and I realized I may have figured it out. While watching the movie it turned out I was only slightly off base and had enough right to quickly pick up on the foreshadowing and adjust my theory. Knowing didn't take away from the experience, though, and once the villain was revealed I was in total suspense about what would happen next. Dat villain was really pretty devious. Anyway I just really loved it. <3

Hard to believe I was only 12 when the first one came out. o_O My dad looked and said it looks like they are working on a third one. Here's hoping they get it out before I'm 40. :p

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tiddlywinks - Oooh, hate it when that happens. Always the trigger for a sneezing/coughing jag, too...

joeyc - Congrats! Just don't get nervous and dry-clean your hair... trust me, bad idea... ;)

E.F.B. - I hear lots of good things about that movie. Enjoyed the first one, though I'm not sure it needed a sequel. (Doubt I'll get to see it in theaters because Family, but maybe on DVD... again, Family pending.)

And it's about time to crawl off for reading/bed after some nightly spitballing. Dinner done, dishes washed, graphic novel review posted, second camp poked for a final yay/nay on the logo (the nebulous "committee" hasn't spoken yet, but we need to get the screens burned this weekend if possible)... think that's all the damage I can do today.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Good news is after resting most of the day and careful stretching, as well as following other things recommended by the nurse line, I think I'm on the mend. So as long as I don't do anything stupid in the near future, like say planks again? I should be fine.
*stern look* Do we have to get the bubblewrap out again?

So, YEASSSSS! I got the job. It's a zero-hour contract, and it's only going to be a few hours a month (a couple of days or so). But, guys, guys! It's in a natural reserve! It's doing the sort of stuff I usually do for free because I love it, and being paid for it! And now I'm going for a run because, well, I'm just bouncing all over the place. :fistpump
Sounds very cool! Have fun with it!

Doing a little better. Heard back from that job and they want to do an in-person interview (and it's supposed to take 2 hours). Time to get a haircut and dry-clean my suit.
Good luck!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tuesday, last day before going back to work, and I'll be losing a chunk of it to dropping the mower off (again) for repairs (again.)

Of course, I'm getting yelled at because we're probably past the warrantee... like it was my fault nobody wanted to deal with it before now...

Ergh.

And there will be shopping involved, because there always frellin' is shopping involved...

Other plans - more site poking and code checking, etc. - must work around that. Not holding my breath on progress, myself...

ETA - Well, the mower's home. A "minor" adjustment, and some condescending talk about how to use a mower (*%$@ repair men... I've been using the effing thing for years, so, yeah, I know how to start it - and I know that when you hit double digits on the pull cord, and it won't shut off, something's the eff wrong that your effing shop didn't effing fix!), and hopefully it works for more than one go this time. Won't know until the weekend. No way in heck I'm mowing now.

And I went back to check some of the earlier reviews, and think I've caught up to where I got the template to where I liked it (took some experimenting), so hopefully I won't have to hand-check them all like I did the A - F's (it was the mid-F's where I got things right.) Ran code checks on main pages. Debating reshuffling my theme pages. Still got a couple pages to throw together quick. Then I want to make a backup copy (just in case) and throw the switch Saturday.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday morning, heading out to work soon (leaving a little early in hopes of topping the tank on the way out)... hope it's a light day.

Heard back from the camp. They want to try a different font. Will do that after work.

And my replacement chargers should be coming today. My Nook charger went AWOL a couple days ago, and it's really picky about what it will accept power from - didn't like the direct USB line, will accept the Kindle charger but I don't like how hot the thing gets so I only use it for brief spurts... ergh. Also needed a new charger for my purse camera batteries.

Also, in unrelated news, the mutant monstrosa foxglove sent up a couple spur chutes, each with a large flower at the end like their mother. We're still hoping to harvest seeds from the thing, as it's supposed to reproduce true.

Away I drift.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
*waves*

GD sounds like a great compromise. Sometimes when I do a developmental edit I will critique the first portion hard, 1/4 to 1/3, then make a note of the things that continue during the rest of the manuscript. This way the author has to FIX said items. Usually this gives them plenty of practice for the next round. (of course there's a lot more that goes on with a dev edit than just that)

Congrats on jobs, finishing projects, etc!

No word count this week. Got slogged with freelance stuff (new client) and prep for next month. Can I get all of this finished before the weekend is over? Yep, will just take less sleep.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
@Brightdreamer Those mutant foxgloves sound interesting. I hope you get seeds!

Now I'm exhausted. All I did was send 8 queries! Cripes, it feels like I ran a mile.
Eight queries? No wonder you're exhausted!

Talking about running*... I've bought new running shoes today (Adidas Vigor Bounce junior) at TK Maxx to replace my vintage Brooks, and wow! They're fast! I've just been getting back into running recently, but I reached a cadence of 180 steps per minute without even really trying. I had to force myself to slow down. The shoes are super-responsive and light, yet comfortable. I can feel where I run (especially the midfoot, which is great) without it ever being painful. Lovely.

Also they're orange with neon yellow laces. I'm sure that's what makes them faster.

*this is what happens when Rain tries to make the smoothest transition ever :poke:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday afternoon, and clouding up, which doesn't help the humidity. Felt worse, but it's the first real warm/humid bout of the summer, so it always feels worse.

Work was there, as work is wont to be.

Hit the store on my way home, so I shouldn't have to shop my way home again this week unless I want to grab myself lunch or something. Which I probably shouldn't.

And I just sent out the revised font version of the second camp logo. (Didn't really love the first font anyway... the new one's a little nicer.) Fingers crossed that's it.

Now, back to do more site check stuff. I know I'm still missing things, but at least I can look for some of the more obvious issues. (Wish I could figure out how to get Coffeecup's HTML editor to look for dead/bad links like the old Frontpage editor did - I'm almost positive I know where the function is or should be, but can't figure out how to trigger it, if it's even what I think it is. Easiest way to see if I mistyped links is to look for bad ones...)

(ETA - And it's later. Another damned great Expanse episode, with only the two-hour season finale left, then I never have to watch SyFy and their lousy commercials again. Unfortunately, seeing a show chock full of kick-arse independent women only makes my current Nook read - which is damned near inventing ways to undercut its theoretically-powerful FMC and define her solely by which man she chooses as a bedmate - look all the more pathetic... sigh. Gotta clear the slate for next week, though; want to be able to start Nemesis Games ASAP after the finale, for post-season withdrawal symptoms.)

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, Cantina. Why does the hormone shift at the end of the lady issues sometimes have to make me feel so tired, blah, anxious, and on the verge of tears? It doesn't always make me feel that way, but this month it's coming at me hard. I know it will pass because it always does, but I don't enjoy enduring it. :( Hugs would be appreciated.

In better news, the writing has picked up some lately, so I should really get on to that. Also hoping I can finish this crochet baby blanket over the next couple days. It's made with one of those stitches that is really pretty, but is also very closed (as opposed to open/lacy) and therefore slower for me to work. I wish I could crochet as fast as those professionals I've seen online and TV who can whip up a blanket like this in a matter of days, hands flying as fast as the wind, but I'm not there quite yet. :p

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
TMI for some of you.

EFB Things don't get better. I had awful periods in high school. Cramping so bad I'd double over and just cry in my bed. Had to go home more than a few times. Was on the pill and it did get somewhat better until I had kids. That part wasn't as bad (something to do with stretching out the endometriosis scarring etc) But now that I'm pre-menopausal, it's like I'm a teenager again.
About ever 3 or 4 months I get the horrible cramps that OTC painkillers don't even blunt. Sometimes alcohol will help (soothes the smooth muscles). But if that doesn't work then its prescription pain killers. Yes that bad. My cramps used to last only a day, now they are 3-4 depending on how long my cycle is. I may also have mild cramping a week before things start.
I'm absolutely exhausted that entire week. There are some days I refuse to make critical decisions because of brain fog. Sometimes I bounce back hard, other times not so much.
Since I'm on the downward side, the pill is not a good option for me. However, you might want to talk to your doctor and see if switching to a different medication would help. There are many variations of the pill, some work better for certain people than others.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
On the other hand, I'm evidently going through the later change, (judging from the erratic timing of my visitor) but I've got no other symptoms... yet. No hot flashes, visitations are relatively normal. Of course, I never had bad symptoms. My mom used to pass out.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I had an endometrial ablation done last September because things were getting worse and worse. Best. Decision. Ever. I don't really have period now (some light spotting sometimes) and some light cramping sometimes. The mood swings are still around, but I can deal with that since I'm not wiped out every month.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday afternoon, and got my review of that book posted this morning. So now I don't have to read it any more. Need to power through my paperback (which I'm enjoying, actually, but I set it aside while Other Things took over), then the slate'll be clear by Wednesday night/Thursday - except for my Kindle read, which is more of a break room read anyway and doesn't generally affect the TBR pile.

Work was once again there. Got out early. If we get out early again tomorrow I might pick up lunch at Safeway. Because that's something I do when I get out early on Fridays.

The assistant boss is retiring in five weeks. Will be strange not to see him there - he's a pretty involved boss. Hope the replacement's decent. If not... well, it's probably past time I explored other employment options anyway, I suppose.

Meh. Going to do some websurfing to decompress, then get the roast started, then see what else I have to do on the website. First, though, I need to figure out what the effin' noise is I'm hearing right now. Is someone using an electric toothbrush or something? The heck...

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
Hello peeps! Been super busy at work. Just got back from a week in the field and only have one day off before going back out for another seven (the OT is ridiculous. Totally paying for my Hawaii trip).

Hugs for all people having crappy days. If it makes you feel better, here's a video of pretty wildflowers set to pretty music. Just ignore the lady talking. She's some crazy person living in the wood :D

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, Cantina. Feeling way better today in spite of the rain and clouds. I'll keep note of my various period-related symptoms over the months though and if it seems I need to change pills by the time my next doctor's appointment rolls around, then I'll discuss that with her.

Interesting thing happened yesterday. The mail truck came in the driveway and delivered this huge package when we hadn't ordered anything and certainly nothing of that size. Went out to look at it and it was in one of those big ol' mail bins like the mail person has in their truck to carry a whole bunch of things and inside was a box inside of two white plastic bags. The bags had a hole in them so you could see inside to the address label...the nasty, corroded, molded address label you could barely read, but from what we could make out, though it had our street name on it, you couldn't actually see the house number and it was intended for a different county. We called the post office to say, hey this isn't ours, you need to come get it, and why are you delivering something in this nasty condition anyway? They said they'd come get it at the end of the delivery day, but never came and my dad finally called the police because he was feeling like what the heck is this thing anyway and is it something that's even supposed to be sent through the U.S. mail?

The police officer came out reeeeaaally fast. Like, within 15 minutes fast, which is significant out here. By that time, the thing was actually leaking ammonia-smelling liquid on our porch and the officer made the decision to open it. Inside was more plastic bags and two containers of what the officer judged to be fiberglass cleaner, one of which was broken, thus the leaking. The stuff was corrosive enough that when he made the decision to seize the items, it actually burned his hands a bit. Um...call me crazy, but when I mail stuff, don't I have to sign a thing that says there are no liquid, flammable, corrosive, or dangerous materials inside the box? Somebody's in trouuuuble. To say the least, we're still harassing the post office to come get their mailing bin because it wasn't supposed to come here anyway and we have no use for it. My dad is also sending them and other officials complaints that they delivered something like that to begin with, much less to the wrong address. I mean, seriously, YOU COULD NOT READ THAT ADDRESS LABEL. What on earth did the delivery person think? "Gee, the house number is totally invisible because of how corroded the label is, but I can make out the street name, so I'm going to dump the nasty, suspicious, package on a random porch and hope it's the right one!" Uh, no, you return to sender and maybe stop taking people's word for it that there are no liquid, flammable, corrosive, or dangerous materials inside. Seriously, people.

On the upside, the fiberglass cleaner made that one spot on the porch all bright and clean. :p

Hugs for all people having crappy days. If it makes you feel better, here's a video of pretty wildflowers set to pretty music. Just ignore the lady talking. She's some crazy person living in the wood :D

Hi kitkit!:hi: *saves link*

I'm off to write. Really hoping I can get this short done by the weekend!

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
'lo, everyone!

I never thought a story I started writing because I thought "This is a stupid idea but what's the point in writing if I don't write what I want to write?" would end up being the story I've invested the most amount of time into. I'm a little over a third of the way through a third draft, and this feels...nice. It feels nice to read through something and feel, "I like this story and I can make it better." I'm still not sure what I'll do with it when it's done, but I'm just having fun with the story and that's what I need to care the most about.

On the upside, the fiberglass cleaner made that one spot on the porch all bright and clean. :p

Well, that's looking at the bright side! :e2tomato:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Last night, I was bemoaning the fact that, though I've got my 3-page synopsis, character profiles and scene list created for Age of Saints, it wasn't percolating in my brain. I usually come up with character refinements, additional subplots, plot details, etc., but I was barely thinking of it over the last two weeks. My mind is still stuck in Past Storm and Fire, which is edited and being queried (nothing is ever finished, just abandoned!).

However, today I made myself open a document and wrote the first scene. 800 words down, and a new romantic subplot just exploded in my mind. The characters are forming in my mind as visual manifestations finally. Aaaaaannnnnddddd we're off!