The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I have a fellow author in my group who is writing a mystery based on a murder mystery dinner she hosted for her daughter. She allowed her kids to each name one character (she has 10 kids).

The butler is named Mr. Fartworthy.

ION, I got a like on IWSGPit! Yay! It's Acorn Publishing, who ONLY wants ME to pay $3495 for them to publish my book. Right.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fellow author in my group who is writing a mystery based on a murder mystery dinner she hosted for her daughter. She allowed her kids to each name one character (she has 10 kids).

The butler is named Mr. Fartworthy.

ION, I got a like on IWSGPit! Yay! It's Acorn Publishing, who ONLY wants ME to pay $3495 for them to publish my book. Right.

It never ceases to amaze me though, the hordes of people who believe that this is the way publishing works, unless you're Stephen King or J.K. Rowling. (Of course, the same people also believe you can just make a phone call and "hire" an agent if you're so inclined.)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Which is probably yet another reason I don't use twitter to pitch anything (unless I'm completely bored). The first time I tried it, I did one pitch at 5pm (right after I got home from work) - had six likes. Everyone one of them was either a vanity agent/press or a press so small they couldn't offer me anything that doing it myself wouldn't achieve.

I'm sure there are legit agents/publishers out there, but too many minnows and sharks lurk for unsuspecting authors.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Because that would take research... and reading... ironic that authors don't like doing that.

But, that's other peoples' werdzez! It contaminamates the idea wel to rede other people's werdzez! Reel authurs rite theyre owen pyure werdzez!

(Oh, shut up, squiggly red line... clearly, you are not a True Author (TM) (R) (patent pending), if you cannot appreciate my unique literary style!)

Thursday afternoon, and work was slow again due to numerous red lights. But at least we came close to finishing. I think. TBH, I stopped giving a dang by noon...

And I'm off the hook for dinner; sibling wants to make spaghetti on her own, so I'll happily turn the kitchen over to her. I've been promised a meat patty of my very own. (Not a spaghetti fan - yes, I'm aware that's tantamount to blasphemy.)

Really need to poke at site stuff, I suppose.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Now, Cackling Fists sounds like the name of Cobra's next band!
QFT.

Morning, Cantina. Tired self is tired, but maybe not as much as yesterday morning. Da puppy got her weekly out-in-the-wild walk yesterday and seemed to have fun. First time we took her to that particular place she was a little spooky of new things like cut-up logs laying along the side of the path, but this time she took no notice of them. Thumbs up for growing confidence.

Da puppy and da beagle have already been played with this morning and puppy is actually taking a nap so I better strike while the room is quiet and the word iron is hot.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday morning, and overcast for the time being. Haven't looked to see if it's supposed to burn off or not, but I'll be at work so it doesn't really matter.

Just swingin' through before I leave on my morning internet rounds. Got no writing or reading done yesterday, which is a terrible habit I need to break. Blew off site work, to. So mostly I sat and stared into space, said space sometimes containing a TV or a monitor, while my brain worked in circles over what I should be doing instead.

Stop doing that, idiot me!

Ergh.

Now, time to get ready for work, where I watch a big belt travel in a circle for five hours... can't imagine where my mind gets the idea that that's productivity...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Friday evening, finished dinner and am debating whether I want a root beer float or if I want to wait to see if/when the sibling gets home; it's her b-day, so cake will be involved. (She wanted to spend the day by herself hitting thrift stores. Her day, her choice.)

Work existed. Lighter than expected, but still with too many slowdowns. I think the crane needs a good tune-up; seems to be having Issues keeping up with us humans. And we learned a recent hire is going to be out for several weeks due to a non-work injury. Part of me wonders if she'll be back at all; just a bit of a vibe I get, that the job's not quite a good fit for her and she might look elsewhere while healing. We also have a history of injured people not returning, or returning only to leave shortly thereafter - not all the time, but it's happened enough to notice. Warehouse work... even part-time, not the easiest job in the world.

Eh, well.

Might watch something on my computer. Will probably end up getting a float, now that I think about it, because root beer floats are like chocolate: they're never the wrong choice.

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Morning, Cantina. I'm sleepy, ever so slightly grouchy, and it is a rainy grey day and will possibly be that way for the next week...but I'm only 100 words away from my Camp Nano goal, so the rainy day might actually be a blessing as it's putting me more in a writing mood. Assuming I hit my goal today, I'm mentally shifting it from 8.5k to 10k as I feel like I should be able to get to that before the end of the month.

I also finally got that blanket that took me FOR-EV-ER to make put in my Etsy shop yesterday. The blanket itself was actually finished weeks ago, I just kept procrastinating steaming the ends to make them stop curling up. They uncurled easier than I thought, though, so I just went ahead, got the pics, edited them, and listed the thing.

Off I go to write.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saturday morning (is it Saturday? *checks calendar and watch* yep, seems to be Saturday...). Already been informed that we're doing a family Thing on Sunday, so the normal slacking off plans have been curtailed. After the room-tidying, I need to get moving on site work and a few other Things. Also need to throw a couple more books in the going-away bag; we're finally getting together with the relative who has the little free library, so more books can go away to new homes.

As for reading... in my Kindle read, I've officially crossed the line from "this still has potential" to "I'm only finishing for the review", possibly heading toward "I must warn others." The line-crosser was when the MC, lost in the middle of a spooky graveyard in an evil wood, stops to play with cougar kittens - then is surprised that Mommy comes back and takes it poorly. She's too smart to be that stupid. She also can't stop wandering off on unrelated tangents in the middle of scenes. Ergh... at least I've passed the halfway point. Usually goes faster from there. Emphasis on the "usually"...