The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is free and interested, JA Rama, Dammy, and I are gonna be streaming our first meeting of a Discworld book club at 5 EST (45 minutes). We've read the first 30ish pages of Guards! Guards! (some books it's 33, some 37, up to the words "Bloody hellfire."). If you want to join in on the Discord for future club stuff, that's here, and if you just want to watch and chat on Twitch, that's here. Both are hosted by my friend Scott/Ax, who came up with the idea for the club with me during a twitter fanboy/girl-out.
Wish I had heard about it. Sorry, I missed it.

Also, wrestling with a MS that was about to be released but there were some potential fair use/copyright issues so co-author and I are redoing a few things just to be sure. And, I think I have a rather widespread ringworm outbreak which is disgusting and disheartening. (And means a trip to the doctor's office on Monday to get it checked out and probably a RX written. Blech.

Everything else is still pretty stressful, but I am still putting one foot in front of the other right now. And I ate a bunch of corned beef and potato for dinner so my tummy is happy. (Still trying to figure out how to lose these extra pounds, but one thing at a time, I guess.)
You've had a stressful couple weeks. Truly sorry.

ION, I'm very bummed because I found this book that came out last year that I really really want to read, only the author doesn't seem to have an E version available and the paperback is $15. Um. I love supporting fellow authors, but um. And also I want my greedy hands on it "now" even though I'm not going to read it until my road trip with hubby. Sigh. I may ping her online to see if I'm missing it somewhere obvious.

Now to decide on another movie to watch. Just finished Wind River. Thumbs up.
You mean this book? *thumbs through pages*

Wind River? But that's a dray-ma.

ETA: Almost forgot. I know the discussion about instruments has petered out for the most part, but I found this vid.

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
*looks at new name* Hmm... Does Mirror universe me have a beard?

Said friend was in the UK...I don't know where he got his. But if you poke around their site(s) you might find more international dealers.
Poke at him, please.

Angst and woe! Angst and woe! :evil

I've been thinking over one of my own characters' angst, specifically in trying not to make her life situation too cheesy. Today I've been pondering how a returning character is handling the mantle of being proclaimed as the absolute greatest individual of his people currently alive. (And whether or not something bad happens to them. I've got ideas for that, but do I want them removed from the story...and if so, when?)
That's one vote for genocide! Any other bidders?

I can play (barely) the Irish pennywhistle and the bowed psaltery. I did find a video for the latter that says it's 'hurdy-gurdy-ized' playing, just for you :)
Thank you! I can hear what they mean by gurdy-ized.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
*Enters the Cantina through a dusty full length mirror*

Hope you all had a good St. Paddy's day. Husband (who's half Irish) made green mashed potatoes and green drinks (vodka + sprite + food colouring). We didn't want to go out yesterday... going out on St. Paddy's is like going out during The Purge.

If anyone is free and interested, JA Rama, Dammy, and I are gonna be streaming our first meeting of a Discworld book club at 5 EST (45 minutes). We've read the first 30ish pages of Guards! Guards! (some books it's 33, some 37, up to the words "Bloody hellfire."). If you want to join in on the Discord for future club stuff, that's here, and if you just want to watch and chat on Twitch, that's here. Both are hosted by my friend Scott/Ax, who came up with the idea for the club with me during a twitter fanboy/girl-out.

Sad I missed this! I'll try to catch the next one!
Does everyone in the Discord have to read along, or can it just be for people who love Pratchett and want to hang out?

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
*Enters the Cantina through a dusty full length mirror*

Hope you all had a good St. Paddy's day. Husband (who's half Irish) made green mashed potatoes and green drinks (vodka + sprite + food colouring). We didn't want to go out yesterday... going out on St. Paddy's is like going out during The Purge.

Sad I missed this! I'll try to catch the next one!
Does everyone in the Discord have to read along, or can it just be for people who love Pratchett and want to hang out?

The second one. It's nice if everyone can read along, but we also understand not everyone has all the books of will be able to get them. There's a section just for hanging out and talking.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! I'll totally join then

Edit: it looks like the Discord link has expired

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
The second one. It's nice if everyone can read along, but we also understand not everyone has all the books of will be able to get them. There's a section just for hanging out and talking.

Awesome! I'll totally join then

Edit: it looks like the Discord link has expired
I'd like to join as well!! (the Luddite knows SQUAT about the Discord...)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'd like to join as well!! (the Luddite knows SQUAT about the Discord...)

Oh, let me get a new link.

https://discord.gg/D52JbBq Here we go. This one won't expire. Introduce yourself in the-mended-drum.

I also finished up my own Discord channel, invite link in my siggy. Hoping to see some folks there :)

Last edited:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting name change.

My St. Pat's day consisted of a movie and hibachi. Real Irish I know.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
But a top hat and monacle is my normal universe attire...

(Not really, though now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure why not.)

Sorry I've been very lurky lately, everyone. A rough few months here and a bit too much winter, and I ran out of spoons hard. Working my way back up out of it.
All the :Hug2: Zanz.

My mom did an extra good job on the Irish Stew yesterday, and we also made these cheesy herb rolls we haven't mde in forever, and it was all SO GOOD! I ate until I couldn't eat any more, unless I wanted to explode, which I did not, but it was so good it may have been worth it.

Sunday school also went well, even with more kids coming in late until we had nearly double the number we started with. Thankfully, while they were excited about the craft, they generally behaved and responded to correction when needed. Our fellow teacher also got the good news via text that her daughter was a finalist in some kind of big academic competition, which could mean scholarships. She was so happy she was starting to cry when she left, so I'm very happy for her. :)

My mom wants to do some yard work today since it's all sunny and less cold than it's been, so I guess I better get focused on the werdz if I want to get some done. Off I go!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
We did our traditional St. Patrick's Day thing a couple weeks ago, since we knew we might not be able to yesterday. We watched The Quiet Man. Hubbie got some corned beef and cabbage to cook, but later - when we are craving it, the grocery store rarely carries it, so we're stocking up.

This weekend I got the sister-in-law to the airport (she drove my husband home from Maine as he couldn't drive himself with random passing out possible), did three tax returns, went through Misfortune of Song for the final final final errors before release April 4th, and worked on a beadwork commission.

Also, Friday night I had a reading at a local bookstore. 5 people showed up (which is 5 more than last time!) and I sold $60 worth of hard copy books. Win!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Probably about as Irish as ours - though we did get to see a double rainbow yesterday. That was cool.

ETA: quick photo (leprechauns did not photograph):

Great pic! And I see the trees are starting to bloom where you live. Not so much here. Winter doesn't quite want to leave, but at least today felt a little more like spring.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Cantina. :banana:I will be around until the end of SSSFFSS and then you will likely notice I am not around nearly as much. (I'll still be online, just focused on different social media platforms for a while.)

Last edited:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Aggy, I'm really sorry such difficult stuff is happening in your life right now. I'm sad for your sake and I hope you're able to reach a better, happier place soon. Don't worry about taking a step back. You just take care of you and yours and the Cantina will still be here when you're ready to come back. All the hugs, and I'm praying for you. :Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

Going out early today to get my annual fasting bloodwork done and then breakfast at Ihop. I'll probably be out mist if the day after that, so I'm guessing very few words will happen.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Aggie. :Hug2::e2grouphu:Hug2: I agree with EFB. Take all the time you need. In the meantime if you could let us know who has been criticizing you, so we can be the crap out of them. :box: I'm mostly kidding, but it does surprise me how cruel people can be.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Aw Aggy, so sorry the FML has got you down. :Hug2:Just remember we Cantinites and Sisyphusers have your back!

As the Tub thumping song says:
I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down

(The lyrics may be trite, but saying "tub thumping" is fun and makes me smile... and smiling is never a bad thing!)

Take the time and space you need to get whole and well and we'll be here when you're ready to come back to us!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Tub thumping! I'm doing my best not to think of entenderers.

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Cantina!

Hubs bday is this week. We'll both be taking it off so he can be responsible and take the car in for service, BUT I'm thinking of treating him to go see Ready Player One and then pizza and nutella cheesecake for dinner. It's his first bday since we got married and we're on a budget so I hope he likes it. Had to get him a gift so I bought Mario Galaxy. Anyone play it?