The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
AHHHH! I'm going to explode. I had a 69 in my math class and had been waiting for the teacher to post the final to raise it that one point...but it was growing close to the end of the semester, so I emailed her.

And she said there was no final. I failed the class by a point! And not even a full point it was a 69.3. Point 3! Ugh. Maybe she'll bump it up? Probably not.

And this is why I'm going for a major in English.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You were given 69.3 and pass was 70? Yikes. Did you spell your name right? That's worth at least an extra .7

Wow, that's tough. :Hug2:

No solace at all, but a friend at school way back in the fifties spelt his own name wrong and got ZERO percent! True. Went on to do very well with an international toy company.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
You were given 69.3 and pass was 70? Yikes. Did you spell your name right? That's worth at least an extra .7

Wow, that's tough. :Hug2:

No solace at all, but a friend at school way back in the fifties spelt his own name wrong and got ZERO percent! True. Went on to do very well with an international toy company.

Someone in my high school got every question wrong on a test and spelled his name wrong. He ended up with like a negative five on it. Or at least that was the rumors. I didn't see this myself but it went around the school a lot of times.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Congrats, EFB! You now have official publishing credits. :)

AHHHH! I'm going to explode. I had a 69 in my math class and had been waiting for the teacher to post the final to raise it that one point...but it was growing close to the end of the semester, so I emailed her.

And she said there was no final. I failed the class by a point! And not even a full point it was a 69.3. Point 3! Ugh. Maybe she'll bump it up? Probably not.

And this is why I'm going for a major in English.

Was a final listed in the syllabus? If so and the instructor just dropped it, you could protest. Give the instructor a chance first, if she still has time before the grade submission deadline, she might cut you some slack. A lot of colleges take the syllabus very seriously, it’s essentially the contract between instructor and students for the course, so they should be sticking to it. Read over it carefully to see if there are any other options for you.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Thanks, JJ! And also :e2woo: It's exciting to have an official publishing credit!

Was a final listed in the syllabus? If so and the instructor just dropped it, you could protest. Give the instructor a chance first, if she still has time before the grade submission deadline, she might cut you some slack. A lot of colleges take the syllabus very seriously, it’s essentially the contract between instructor and students for the course, so they should be sticking to it. Read over it carefully to see if there are any other options for you.
This.^

That's really frustrating, starrystorm. Sorry you're having to deal with that. :/

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score

Nope. I just checked. Apparently a D can be as high as a 69.9 and no sign of a final posted anywhere. I just signed up to take another math class anyway.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Meh. Gray day of light drizzle and all around chilliness.

We went out to a nearby nursery that's known for its poinsettias and Xmas stuff. The former were pretty, with a couple pink varieties (one hot pink, one more of a pastel candy pink with some white) I don't recall seeing before. The latter... they seemed to have less stuff than the last time we went, spread out over a larger space. We wound up having lunch at a local cafe (part of a chain of local cafes, actually) and enjoyed the meal. In the parking lot was a Dollar Tree and a Value Village, the latter being one of the sibling's favorite places to browse. I picked up a few dollar Xmas cards and other items. Then we swung by Target because Mom needed a new computer mouse, and then home.

And everywhere we went, we were leaving just as the crowds built up. Usually we're the one stuck in the crowds.

But we're home now, and I need to get out to the workshed after I get dinner started (roast.) Which I should be doing soon.

--

Gah... roast was a no-go; one of those pad things from the package apparently was left on the thing when I put it in the pot. (Pro Tip: Don't do that.) So we wound up with chicken strip and fry for dinner.

But I got some workshed stuff done, though the ones that are progressing best are the extras. (For now - that my change, in one instance particularly.) Not enough, but glue only dries so fast. (And I have to shop my way home tomorrow, which will cut into ornament time after work. May just grab fried chicken or something for dinner... really need to hustle, because I can almost get where I want to be if I hustle. Which means something terrible will probably derail me.)

And my favorite to-do app thing (Wunderlist) is going away in May; the upgrade is to Microsoft To-Do, which requires 10 on my PC. Another reason I probably should just bite the bullet next year. In the meantime, I'll just ignore the little warning thing.

Didn't get exercise, dang it, so hopefully walking around today counts.

Off I wander. Got everything ready for work tomorrow.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I sent another e-mail out to a different person who is fostering a different dog. I really hope they respond. This is my third e-mail I've sent to this dog fostering system.

Congrats EFB! That's great! Was it the first thing you've gotten published?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday, up way too frellin' early, and I can't even use the time in my workshed because glitter and work clothes don't go well together.

Gah.

And I'm almost guaranteeing we'll have early start at least one day this week. Could use the money, but it's going to make getting out to the shed after work that much more tiring...

Eh, well. Maybe I can catch up on some site stuff with the extra time.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Meh. Gray day of light drizzle and all around chilliness.

We went out to a nearby nursery that's known for its poinsettias and Xmas stuff. The former were pretty, with a couple pink varieties (one hot pink, one more of a pastel candy pink with some white) I don't recall seeing before. The latter... they seemed to have less stuff than the last time we went, spread out over a larger space. We wound up having lunch at a local cafe (part of a chain of local cafes, actually) and enjoyed the meal. In the parking lot was a Dollar Tree and a Value Village, the latter being one of the sibling's favorite places to browse. I picked up a few dollar Xmas cards and other items. Then we swung by Target because Mom needed a new computer mouse, and then home.

And everywhere we went, we were leaving just as the crowds built up. Usually we're the one stuck in the crowds.

But we're home now, and I need to get out to the workshed after I get dinner started (roast.) Which I should be doing soon.

--

Gah... roast was a no-go; one of those pad things from the package apparently was left on the thing when I put it in the pot. (Pro Tip: Don't do that.) So we wound up with chicken strip and fry for dinner.

But I got some workshed stuff done, though the ones that are progressing best are the extras. (For now - that my change, in one instance particularly.) Not enough, but glue only dries so fast. (And I have to shop my way home tomorrow, which will cut into ornament time after work. May just grab fried chicken or something for dinner... really need to hustle, because I can almost get where I want to be if I hustle. Which means something terrible will probably derail me.)

And my favorite to-do app thing (Wunderlist) is going away in May; the upgrade is to Microsoft To-Do, which requires 10 on my PC. Another reason I probably should just bite the bullet next year. In the meantime, I'll just ignore the little warning thing.

Didn't get exercise, dang it, so hopefully walking around today counts.

Off I wander. Got everything ready for work tomorrow.
Re poinsettias, it's amazing how many varieties there are these days. Dad will still get plain, red "Bubba, the big poinsettia" for my grammy, though. :p

Re Windows 10: I have it on my laptop and personally like it better than Windows 8. I do seem to adapt to new tech fairly easily, though, and figure out how to force it to bend to my will :p so YMMV.

I failed in the area of exercise yesterday, too. Walking does count, though, especially when you can't do anything else.

I sent another e-mail out to a different person who is fostering a different dog. I really hope they respond. This is my third e-mail I've sent to this dog fostering system.
Fingers crossed for you!

Congrats EFB! That's great! Was it the first thing you've gotten published?
Thanks! It was. :)

Morning, Cantina. I got my document open yesterday and tweaked some stuff, but otherwise totally failed in writing anything new. It's fine, though, because I was busy spreading the word about my story on allll the social media and so many of my internet friends read it, and strangers I don't even know read it and seemed to enjoy it, so I'm happy. :)

Today, now that the distraction is gone, I'll try to make up for the lack of words.

Totally unrelated question: Has anyone noticed whether or not their local theaters are moving Frozen II out this weekend? My parents and I had been planning to see it this Friday (literally the soonest were were going to be able to) and were checking out the showtimes only to discover that, as of Thursday, it's only in one theater in the entire area and then by Friday it's completely gone. 0.0 What the heck? It's only been out for three weeks and is still, IIRC, the biggest movie in the country. We even called down to the theater we wanted to go to just to confirm that the website info was accurate and the girl we got on the phone confirmed it, but expressed that she didn't understand it, either. Why in the world are they taking it away already? We considered trying to go today, but mom has to go in to work and by the time she got off, the matinees would be over and we just can't afford full price tickets right now. I was really looking forward to going and I'm so annoyed and disappointed. I'm just curious now if this is happening elsewhere or if it's only around here.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
EFB - Belated congrats on the first publication (sorry... been rather obsessed with ornament crud and other stuff lately.)
As for theaters moving out Frozen II - I haven't looked (movies have really been not a priority lately, though I do want to see that on the big screen), though we have a snerkload of theaters around here so one of them will probably still have it for a while. My suspicion is they're gearing up for the holiday Star Wars rush (and other big-name movies; Cats, I think, though that really smells like a flop IMHO.) What is the point of these multiplex theaters when they only show two movies on all the screens? (ETA - just checked, and it looks like they're squeezing it out of most places by next week, if Fandango is accurate. WTH, Disney?)

Really, brain? You pick now, when I have to head off to work, to get all yawny and tired? You couldn't have done that at 5 AM when I could've actually snoozed for a bit?

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Totally unrelated question: Has anyone noticed whether or not their local theaters are moving Frozen II out this weekend?

It's still at tons of theaters and times this weekend in Austin. :Shrug: There are new movies out this weekend, though, so maybe they're switching to those. Especially if Frozen wasn't doing well at that particular theater, or if they tend to sell more tickets and do better with the newest releases.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I am sick of Frozen II. Merchandise for it is literally everywhere. I picked up a banana the other day and it had a sticker of Elsa on it. True story.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Helllooooooo...

Chugging along at work. I worked through author-group edits on Age of Druids for the first third of my book, more or less. Next is the dreaded intensive line-by-line grammar edits. blergh. At least I have all month to do that. i'd love to get a few more beta readers on the full MS, but I don't have anyone lined up. I've only been able to get one, and he's not a strong beta reader.

Alternatively, I've been cogitating new book covers for my entire series. They all need to relate, so something I can do across 9 books in time periods ranging from 1846CE back to 450CE. I have thought of a few options:
- Interiors - from a Victorian study (looking out a window onto the Irish countryside) to an Iron Age roundhouse. Each one will have objects hinting at the story, including the Druid's Brooch itself, sitting on a table, for instance.
- Exteriors - landscape or exterior scenes, from a Victorian carriage to a path in the woods, etc., showing main character (my preference is from the back or side) in period garb. Again, will have the brooch somehow.
- Still life - A collection of objects related to the story, including the brooch, perhaps held in the main character's hand (just the hand and the brooch), each holding it in a way that hints at their age and character. i.e., the 55yo male retired warrior will clutch it tight, vs. the 18yo female lass in love will hold it with delicate fingers.
- Something symbolic/abstract

I'll probably do mockups of each for ALL nine books before I decide on one in case I just can't make one work.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I don't know about anyone else but I am sick of Frozen II. Merchandise for it is literally everywhere. I picked up a banana the other day and it had a sticker of Elsa on it. True story.

Lol, I saw those, too. Apparently Dole has some kind of deal with Disney.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bananas... promoting Frozen II? Is there some sort of climate catastrophe commentary going on here, or do they not know where bananas grow, or what? (Probably one of those "get kids to eat healthy foods by slapping a familiar logo on it" things...)

Later the same Wednesday, and work existed. There was technically an early start. I say "technically" because the assistant manager somehow failed to inform anyone, even though he insists he did. Early start the rest of the week, though. Could use the money...

In any even, what with crudtastic sleeping last night and work being tiring (eight people plus a couple unreliable floating techs trying to cover a twelve-person shift) and shopping being long and the weather being cold and drizzly, I'm thinking that getting out to my workshed tonight, even after dinner... ain't happenin'. Maybe tomorrow, since I shouldn't have to shop, but not today.

Dang it. Really wanted to get some stuff done. But it's better not to do stuff when I'm half asleep; that's an easy way to lose more ground than I gain. As would be slipping and falling in the rain.

Then I get home and the computer has to deal with a zillion updates. Again.

Dinner is mostly done already. Soo tempted to take a quick snooze, or just lie down for a bit... may do that.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It's still at tons of theaters and times this weekend in Austin. :Shrug: There are new movies out this weekend, though, so maybe they're switching to those. Especially if Frozen wasn't doing well at that particular theater, or if they tend to sell more tickets and do better with the newest releases.
Yeah, that's probably it. I'm still annoyed that they had to take it out almost the exact day we were planning to see it, though, and have made it clear to my parents that if we want to see Star Wars when it comes out we need to go on and make time to see it.

Re bananas advertising movies, it definitely seems Disney has some kind of deal with Dole because I've seen characters from every major Disney movie for the past couple years on my bananas. I've gotten so used to it I don't always notice anymore.

My brain did not cooperate with wordage today beyond a little tweaking of what I already wrote. (Why did my phone suggest "kissed" as the last word of that sentence? I'm not kissing my WIP. There isn't even anyone kissing in my WIP, at least not right now...) *ahem* I'm struggling a little with how to transition from what's happening in the story now to what I know needs to happen soon. It needs to be believable that the MC would make this dangerous choice, and I think if I can show that she's believing the antagonist's threats that it will be, I just have to figure out how to show that. Also, it would probably help to give my antagonist a real name because I'm really tired of typing [Name] repeatedly. I will have to give that a shot tomorrow.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Took a slightly longer nap than intended. Hopefully it doesn't mess my sleep schedule up any more than it already is, but dang I was tired... still am rather yawny.

Got my alarm set for tomorrow early start. And Windows seems to have finally stopped the update obsession (for now.)

Will probably wander off and read until bedtime. Trying to limit my computer light exposure, see if it actually helps. (There are "sleep light" things that some people say works; they even supposedly use them on the space station to help set circadian rhythms. Am seriously tempted to ask for one for Xmas, because these crudtastic sleep nights before work... not fun.)

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com

When the Minion movie came out bananas had stickers with Minions on it. Felt weird eating the banana when it looked so much like a Minion.

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
When the Minion movie came out bananas had stickers with Minions on it. Felt weird eating the banana when it looked so much like a Minion.

minion-banana.gif

Last edited:

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Bananas... promoting Frozen II? Is there some sort of climate catastrophe commentary going on here, or do they not know where bananas grow, or what? (Probably one of those "get kids to eat healthy foods by slapping a familiar logo on it" things...

Sure, and they’ll buy more Dole products at the same time! Dole also released 20 Frozen-themed recipes and something about gift tags and peel-and-play stickers (at that point I lost interest in researching this).

And now we all know more about the Dole/Disney cross-promotion than we needed to know.

:banana:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I'm so happy and excited. The two places that I was looking to get a dog from are having event. One on Friday and the other place on Saturday. I can't wait! Particularly for the one on Saturday! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I'm so happy and excited. The two places that I was looking to get a dog from are having event. One on Friday and the other place on Saturday. I can't wait! Particularly for the one on Saturday! :snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:
Eeeeep!

All I really have to say today is that naming fantasy characters is hard sometimes and villain's name is being elusive. I did manage to name a previously unnamed henchperson, though.