The Cantina Staring Back At You From The Abyss

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
*waves at people*

Closing in on noon, and definitely made the right call staying home; even with a Bronk-Aid, this chest thing doesn't want to break up, and the thought of climbing stairs to go out to my workshed is intimidating - no way I could've climbed and reclimbed the various stairs at work, let alone walked around and moved for a five hour day.

Tried to take a nap. Didn't work.

Come on, you stupid medicine... you're supposed to Do Something, already!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
This time of year is always wacky, isn't it? What with half the folks transitioning into the "vacation" mindset and the other half panicking to get ALL TEH WORKZ done before businesses go dark due to the "vacation" mindset.

We also factor in manufacture all the things and ship all the things before plant shutdown between Christmas and the New Year. The perk being we have company paid time off between Christmas and the New Year.

But lots of people trying to check all their boxes before the end of the year, so panic at the disco for sure.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We also factor in manufacture all the things and ship all the things before plant shutdown between Christmas and the New Year. The perk being we have company paid time off between Christmas and the New Year.

But lots of people trying to check all their boxes before the end of the year, so panic at the disco for sure.

Eesh. That must be fun. Mine is the opposite end of that spectrum. Lots of:

Important Person: "We need Report on X tomorrow!"
Me: "Well, remember when we said that the one person allowed to provide Y-Data so we can complete Report on X has been on leave for the last month? Still on leave. Anyone else we can talk to?"
IP: "No. That's the ONLY SOUL WITH Y-DATA ON THE PLANET! WE HAVE NO REDUNDANT SYSTEMS!"
Me: "Oookay. So if they're gone and we can only go through them....."
IP: "......but...we need Report on X tomorrow."
[insert Picard Face-Palm meme here]

But hey, what's life without a little insanity, eh?

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wednesday evening, and not holding my breath that I'll be out of the Coldlands by tomorrow. This thing is just sitting in my chest and crushing me... almost wants to break loose, but hasn't moved much all day.

Dang it.

Hopefully I can find a way to sleep tonight that doesn't feel like I'm half-drowning...

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Eesh. That must be fun. Mine is the opposite end of that spectrum. Lots of:

Me: "Well, remember when we said that the one person allowed to provide Y-Data so we can complete Report on X has been on leave for the last month? Still on leave. Anyone else we can talk to?"
IP: "No. That's the ONLY SOUL WITH Y-DATA ON THE PLANET! WE HAVE NO REDUNDANT SYSTEMS!"

But hey, what's life without a little insanity, eh?

This x infinity

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Ugh, Mr. JJ has that kind of end-of-year stuff going on, too. My end-of-year insanity is winding up this week with the end of the fall semester. The usual last minute problems and panic from students, then the grading deadline panic from instructors.

Today was the final day of my classes. I forgot how it’s kind of bittersweet when they leave.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
And then a student emailed me to ask a question about a project due at midnight, in a half hour, that they've had three weeks to finish but are apparently just now starting, so the sweet feeling has evaporated.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score

This reminds me so much of that scene in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure:

Bill: Wyld Stallyns will never be a super-band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar.
Ted: Yes, Bill, but... I do not believe we will get Eddie Van Halen before we have a triumphant video.
Bill: Ted, it's pointless to have a triumphant video before we have decent instruments.
Ted: Well, how can we have decent instruments if we don't really even know how to play?
Bill: That is why we need Eddie Van Halen!
Ted: And that is why we need a triumphant video!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
^ The ultimate Catch 22!

Well, Cantina, it seems I'm now begging my venture through the Coldlands. So far, the symptoms are very mild, and I'm hoping they stay that way. The upside is not having to call off work since I'm laid off.

On a more random note, there was a possum in my backyard this morning munching on bird seed. First time I've ever seen one!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You, too, LadyV? Best of luck in your Coldlands journey...

Well, Thursday morning, and once again I had to call out from work. Not quite as chest-crushing today as last night, but I'm still wandering within earshot of the rumbling Energy Falls, and just plain don't have enough oomph in me to do the job. (Yesterday I didn't have enough oomph to even contemplate climbing the stairs or driving, so this is a marginal improvement.) Also still can't take a deep breath without triggering a coughing fit. Plus my gut has decided it doesn't like phlegm draining into it and is letting me know about it.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired, as the saying goes. But I'm hopeful I see the end of the Coldlands on the horizon.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
*waves at everyone*
Hugs to all that needs them.
Cute puppy vids EFB
Passes around a box of tissues

Been kind of a rough week. Meds had been helping until the female cycle (early mind you) hit then I down slid back a considerable amount. Not as bad as I was but it's been a week of crawling back out of a hole. Today is better though. I'm going to have to start setting an alarm and getting up earlier so I can get some treadmill time in before doing freelance work and then getting ready for dayjob. I'm sleeping way too much (yes, that is part of my depression though.) I'm seeing where I'm at in the next week--which will be a month of meds--and gauging how up and down I'm doing before calling the dr to discuss either raising the dosage or other things I need to do (might need to check the iron and other blood stuff).

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
And then a student emailed me to ask a question about a project due at midnight, in a half hour, that they've had three weeks to finish but are apparently just now starting, so the sweet feeling has evaporated.

Ah yes. I remember those days as a professor. A lot of sighs heaved. Heavy, heavy sighs.

Now, it's grown adults on marketing projects that they've known about forever but wait until oh, the week before Christmas to be like "oh hey, by the way, I kinda need this thing that might get us X dollars, so uh..."

>.<

Rough day, Cantina. For reasons. But I made it through. And tomorrow is another day. And I get to go to a concert tomorrow night, featuring one of the bands that I've incorporated heavily into some of my plot bunny playlists! Can't wait. I've been looking forward to this all year.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thursday evening, and I give myself a 50/50 shot of being up to work tomorrow if I'm feeling optimistic. Then I hit a coughing fit, or I stand up too fast and have to wait while my head de-fuzzes, and odds drop again.

Dang it.

On the plus side, I'm definitely not as deep in the Coldlands as I was this time Wednesday. On the minus side... well, I never did get out to my workshed today, and not for lack of wanting, more for lack of being sure I'd make it back up the stairs if I did get out there without falling down the stairs. And I can't afford losing time on mistakes made under the influence of cold germs anyway. Mostly, I spent my day trying to nap or trying to read or trying to expel the metric snerkload of gunk fouling up my lungs and sapping my energy.

Ergh.

I want my frellin' life back, dang it!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Rough day, Cantina. For reasons. But I made it through. And tomorrow is another day. And I get to go to a concert tomorrow night, featuring one of the bands that I've incorporated heavily into some of my plot bunny playlists! Can't wait. I've been looking forward to this all year.

I’m going to imagine you as a sparkly bun-bun reaper thrashing it out in the mosh pit.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
*pokes head up through the smibble pile*

Oh! Hi.

I have no excuse for not being around. Just didn't stop by. I've not even been working or anything, as I start my new job Monday. Still, here I am, finally!

The NaNo novel now sits at 73,000 words. I took a week off after November (got to 54K) and then just wrote almost 20K in the last week. Because... not working. I didn't want to waste that time off. I might even be able to finish the first draft before Monday! Woohoo! I'm having a LOT of fun with this novel, and it's floooooowwwwwiiiinnnggg.

So, here's the fun (not) part:

I start my new local job Monday, at the Foundry. It's not what I'd call a good fit for me - very male-centric, Republican-centric work environment. I'm really nervous/apprehensive about it. But it's a job. I accepted the offer two weeks ago.

A few days after I accepted the job, a position I'd interviewed with earlier called back, asking me to come in for a second interview. The first had been via phone, this one was in person. I told them I'd already accepted an offer, but they said pretty please with sugar on top, we really want you to come in. I agreed, and drove to Maine (7 hour drive) for that. It went REALLY well. The position is at a university, in the finance department, and a MUCH better fit for my personality. I told them how much I'm making, and they told me their range, which is just below what I'm making now. They said they'd send me an offer this week.

Shortly after I left, though, they said they couldn't send an offer until Jan 1. This seems to me that they want to increase the offer to beat what I'm making, but need Board approval or something.

So, I'm starting the new job as planned (in case the offer never comes through or in case it's not enough to relocate), but I'm hoping it comes through.

In the meantime, there's always a possibility one of the dozen jobs I'd applied for at Corning will call at any time with an offer, which would also mean no relocation.

The pros of staying local: No moving (huge!), I have a great author community here, I've been here three years and finally gotten a grip on the art shows I do well at.
Pros of moving to Maine: My husband's family is there, he'd be less hermit-like, get involved with local Native things, better for his health (he is on medical MJ here, but it's recreational there, so easier to get).

So, my life is on track with anticipation of being derailed again in the near future. Possibly for the better, but who knows. I dislike the uncertainty of it all.

In anticipation of another move (I've moved 29 times in my life) we are also de-stashing. I just gave away all our Xmas and Halloween decorations, since we always run out of energy and never put anything up. 10 plastic bins of stuff. I gave them to a local author friend who is dead broke and they haven't decorated since her mom died 5 years ago. Also got rid of four trash bags of fabric I'm never going to use to a mother of 10 children. And a bag full of old prints I'm never going to sell to an author friend who's kids just asked her for collage material. I also made five trash bags of true trash and donated two bags of clothing. De-stash begun.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

*sees the Farscape reference*

E8abY.gif

Morning, gang.

Whut up?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2: To all those having rough days, illnesses, and uncertain times.

Seems to be a bad year for lingering illnesses. I have one writerly internet friend whose entire family got hit with a respiratory bug, and now, two weeks later, the majority of them have secondary infections of varying kinds as a result. :/

Hiya, Cantina. I'm having a mildly cranky, sleepy morning, but I *think* it's getting a little better as the morning goes on. I didn't get a whole lot of words done yesterday due to lack of focus, but I feel more focused today...maybe...so I should really get offline and get on to the writing before I lose motivation.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
greendragon - Congrats on novel progress. Job situation sounds complicated; fingers crossed it works out (and that you don't have to stay in that work environment long.) And good luck with the de-stashing! (Need to do that again one of these days, myself - living with three packrats makes me extra-aware of what happens when you don't let go of things you never use...)

CobraMisfit - Yeah, once a Scaper, always a Scaper. I seem to have an affinity for shows SyFy stabs in the back.

EFB - Not a good bug year around here, either. Had people out at work right and left.

Well, Friday morning, and I'm going to give work a try I think, though I'm feeling less certain about that than I was when I woke up (which was already iffy.) On the plus side, I feel better than I did this time yesterday, and I even got some sleep. On the minus side, still feeling kinda wiped out and my entire chest is sore from coughing. Have less than twenty minutes to make the final call, 'cause I refuse to call out last-minute barring emergencies. Maybe if I take it slow...

(Spoiler Alert: The minimal energy I woke up with dissipated as I sat here. Then a sinus headache kicked in, which I think was my body's way of saying "Work? Are you kidding me?" So I called out. Will drive the garbage down to the bottom of the lane, then crawl back into bed for a while.)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In other words, "quality shows", amiright?

Pretty much, yeah. Saw a meme going around during the Expanse (Near-)Extinction Event: SyFy - Imagine the Ending Yourself, Because We Cancel Everything.

Ergh, my compass must be broken; thought I was on my way out of the Coldlands, but I somehow looped back to the Irritated Gut Gully. At least the stabby sinus thing's slowly dying down to the odd twinge and ear crackling. In any event, intestinal issues on top of energy issues mean I really shouldn't have gone to work anyway, so it's just as well my headache warned me off.

Dang it.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
CobraMisfit - Yeah, once a Scaper, always a Scaper. I seem to have an affinity for shows SyFy stabs in the back.
I'm like this with shows on other channels, too. There were five shows minimum that my mom and I really liked that then got canceled this year. Really annoying.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm like this with shows on other channels, too. There were five shows minimum that my mom and I really liked that then got canceled this year. Really annoying.

It's a universal problem, and not new - I've been familiar with the cancellation of shows I like since Sledge Hammer!. (Though sometimes it's worse when they stay on too long *ahem* X-Files *ahem*...) A local DJ several years back said he'd given up on watching televised programming at all because it was so frustrating to invest emotionally in a show only to have it yanked; he only watched when they were done and available on DVD.

Friday afternoon, about when I would've been getting off work if my stupid, lousy immune system were doing its stupid, lousy job right... I so don't want to have to go in for antibiotics for this thing, but if it doesn't clear this weekend I may have to. Gut's still a little twingy, but mostly I'm back to energy drain (not as bad as yesterday, but enough that I probably couldn't have done my job at all well if I'd gone.)

Should at least try doing some site work, and if I can ever trust my intestines I need to be doing some ornament work out in my workshed, but right now the intestines are not trustworthy. (Deceptive Intestines... now there's a band that's never getting out of Mom's garage...)