Aromantic Writer

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
That is a lot more clear.

I think I still have a problem with the word 'romantic,' though.
It just means the emotional attraction of wanting someone as your Significant Other (with or without any added physical attraction of wanting them as a sexual partner).

The technical term for the collection of non-asexual and/or non-aromantic orientations is "allo–"

Asexual = asexual
Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual ... = allosexual

Aromantic = aromantic
Heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic ... = alloromantic

Contrary to popular opinion, this terminology does not mean that you are attracted to Allosauruses.

Pancubuzz

Registered
Reaction score
New poster and fellow aro spectrum writer (I'm really leaning toward the quoiromantic label at the moment but aro is easiest to explain to other people), just wanted to say hi and how nice it is to see fellow aro-spec people around, especially writers. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one especially when people irl tell me I should be cautious about making my MCs aro, so it's good to meet all of you :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Belated addition to the club :) Aro but not terribly ace here. (and having the interesting problem of repeatedly getting dinged by my betas for not including budding romantic relationships in my stories >.> A thing I have literally zero interest in ever including, alas)

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
Also aro/ace writer here. Also struggling with the writing but on the ace side. Realising I can't write allosexual attraction without it sounding horribly objectifying and cringey to me!

Kithica

Registered
Reaction score
I'm... still working it out I think. Definitely ace. Not sure about aro. Maybe? Maybe aspirationally but not practically homoromantic? Is that a thing?

I'm currently having spasms about whether the MC in my current novel should be ace or not. Despite having ALREADY WRITTEN A ROMANCE, I only figured out the ace thing since then, so now my brain is telling me 'how can you possibly write a convincing romance if you've never lived it'? Even though nothing about my life at ALL (other than some self-knowledge) has changed since then. But also because there's not a lot of ace representation in the world, and I would like to add to that. So that maybe the next ace girl doesn't have to have to wait until the age of 40 to start figuring some of this stuff out.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm... still working it out I think. Definitely ace. Not sure about aro. Maybe? Maybe aspirationally but not practically homoromantic? Is that a thing?

I'm currently having spasms about whether the MC in my current novel should be ace or not. Despite having ALREADY WRITTEN A ROMANCE, I only figured out the ace thing since then, so now my brain is telling me 'how can you possibly write a convincing romance if you've never lived it'? Even though nothing about my life at ALL (other than some self-knowledge) has changed since then. But also because there's not a lot of ace representation in the world, and I would like to add to that. So that maybe the next ace girl doesn't have to have to wait until the age of 40 to start figuring some of this stuff out.
Tell your brain 'and why not?' Tell it that an inordinate amount of cultural output over the centuries has spread the word on romance quite adequately, thanks. Love ain't exactly some great mystery of the universe. Of course aros can write romance. And aces can write erotica. Some are smashingly good at it, too.

as for representation, do it! Do it! Do it!

Last edited:

Kithica

Registered
Reaction score
Tell your brain 'and why not?' Tell it that an inordinate amount of cultural output over the centuries has spread the word on romance quite adequately, thanks. Love ain't exactly some great mystery of the universe. Of course aros can write romance. And aces can write erotica. Some are smashingly good at it, too.

as for representation, do it! Do it! Do it!

Thank you for the support. :Hug2: I do know that, I'm just going through a process right now that is a little bumpy. The MOST ridiculous part is, that my for-fun writing for the last decade and a half has been the slushiest romantic fixit fanfic you can possibly imagine. But sexual identity crisis + playing with own characters = massive self doubt apparently. I'll keep coming back to your words for a kick in the pants when I need it, though. :)

On the representation front, it might be up to the character to let me know which way she swings at this point. I'll keep you posted!

RedMargarita

Neck deep in research
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queerstrada.wordpress.com
I'm picking this thread back up, because I'm also an aromantic writer. I have no interest in romance in my personal life, I find platonic friendships more fun and less stressful, but I do enjoy writing romance because I like the challenge of writing a romance that's not riddled with any toxic tropes or cliches. Right now, I'm working on a mystery series that has a romance between a bi man and a bi woman, and it's a lot of fun writing scenes where they make fun of bi stereotypes.

Can't say I'm a fan of reading romances though.