• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing Beta Readers Volume III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The first Willing Beta Readers thread started in 2006. It was replaced by Willing Beta Readers Volume II.

Many embers who posted in the Volume II are no longer active on AW, or they can no longer act as beta readers.

I've started this new thread.

Procedure To Volunteer To Beta Read

If you are interested in becoming a beta reader for someone on AW, please leave a reply in this thread with your genre preference and any other info you'd like members to know. See the template below for an idea of what to post.
Please turn on PMs so members can contact you privately to ask if you would be willing to Beta for them.
Should you become unavailable to beta in the future, please you return here and edit your post to reflect your status.

DO NOT POST in this thread asking for a beta reader. I will move any requests into their own threads. Or I might just delete it.

Feel free to peruse the previous thread for potential beta readers, just be aware that tht thread (especially the earlier pages) is not current.

Beta Reader Template
A typical post about your willingness to Beta includes:

• Availability:
  • Preferences:
  • What I write:
  • Beta Style:
  • Experience:
  • Timeline:

You can include more; but these are the basic points to provide.

Don't forget to return and edit your post if your interests or availability change.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Edit (7/8/2017): currently full. Will update when ready for more.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Availability: Seeking 3 full-length novels to read in the next three weeks (through 30 July 2017).

Preferences: SF/fantasy of all types, but I have read everything and will read anything GOOD.

Why me: Many readers have told me my critiques are the best they’ve ever gotten. They’re right. I’m old enough to know what I’m good at, and I’m good at this. I read fast and write fast. You’ll have your beta-read complete in a week. What you do after that is up to you.

How I work: I edit in MSWord using comments and track changes.

Experience: 30+ years as an SF/YA reader, have written four unpublished novels, with the first to hopefully appear this winter. Since joining AW, I’ve beta-read for 30 members, totaling 1.7M words. I count them because that’s the only thing you can do with them. I’d like to be over 2 million words by the end of the summer.

I’m always honest, and polite if you don’t try anything colossally stupid in your book. If you do, I get grumpy in the comments, and you’ll know I hated it because I’ll tell you so. That doesn’t mean it’s not fixable, and I like tossing around ideas for solutions.

Caveats:
· No first drafts, in-progress works, or any of that. It needs to be done, and not on its first-ever read, either.
· I don’t like being told how to read. I’ll tell you what works and what doesn’t. Don’t tell me you don’t need close editing—if I see a problem, you need close editing.
· If your book has major issues that make it impossible to continue, I will stop and give you what I have, as well as telling you explicitly what I think is causing the problem.
· I know nothing about markets, what is popular, etc., nor do I care. Don’t ask me if it’ll sell. I’m not an agent.
· Extreme content (define as you will) doesn’t offend me. I’m only offended by terrible writing and stupid plotting.
· If you give me a dystopian novel, it had better be the most fucking amazing thing ever written.

Contact: PM me with a paragraph-long synopsis and first couple chapters and include your email.

Last edited:

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently unavailable.

Preferences:

• Romance (wide tastes but prefer historical, suspense, older protagonists - I don't do sweet, inspirational, new adult, vampires or extreme alphas)
  • Erotic romance (ditto; comfortable with any combinations of numbers/genders/sexualities)
  • Erotica (not much into BDSM or similar, but I am OK with a bit of kink)
  • Mystery, suspense, political thrillers (I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy theory)
  • Historical (not predominantly military; prefer pre-19th century. Interested in diverse voices.)
  • General literary fiction (Not coming-of-age or similar. Please, no coming-of-age.)
I don't do SF/F, NA or YA, although I am OK with low fantasy elements in the genres above.

What I write: Erotic romance and erotica, mostly historical. The to-be-written list also includes some non-romance historicals. I tried romantic suspense, because I enjoy reading it, but I suck at it.

Beta Style: I will give you honest feedback on whether your premise, prose style and pacing grab me as a reader. I'll be reading for whether your characters are presented consistently, learn something along the way, and have believable conflicts. I have a good ear for the cadence of prose and natural dialogue. Time constraints may prevent me from doing a full line-by-line, unless you're prepared to drip-feed chapters, but I will point out where your prose isn't working for me.

I cannot critique effectively if your grammar and spelling needs a lot of work (I get distracted by too much copy-editing), so I won't beta anything that hasn't already been tidied up as well as you can. I will want to read a couple of chapters before I commit, and I will say no if your book just isn't my cup of tea.

Experience: I have been doing some crits here and there lately on the various SYW boards: see here and here if you want an idea of the feedback I might give, depending on what you're looking for. I am extremely experienced in writing and peer-reviewing work reports, mostly narrative documents rather than technical editing, and so the feedback you get from me will be professional and respectful.

Timeline: Depends on real-life workload, but if I can't get something done in a few weeks, I'll let you know.

Contact: PM me with a bit about your work, what editing it has been through already, and a blurb (I want a hook, but no big spoilers!). If I'm interested I'll get you to email me a couple of chapters to see whether it's my thing.

Last edited:

knifebirds

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Currently unavailable, although feel free to message me if you don't mind waiting a bit
Preferences: LGBTQ Science Fiction / Fantasy / Magical Realism, although I'll read anything if it is LGBTQ. I would strongly prefer not to read anything with a heterosexual main plot.
What I write: LGBTQ Science Fiction / Fantasy / Magical Realism
Beta Style: I have a good eye and an ear for line-by-line editing. I like to think of a scene as being made of small parts. If the scene isn't working in the small scope, those small flaws add up to create a weaker work in the grand scope. I focus on character development, emotional atmosphere, and style. Most of all, I prioritize immersion in a story--if something pulls me out of the story, I'll point it out to you, whether that be contradictory characterization, an awkward sentence, or clunky information-delivering.
Experience: I have experience critiquing in formal university workshop settings along with thorough critique-based conversations with writer friends.
Timeline: If it's a short story or relatively short sample (<10k), I should be able to get it back within a few days, but for a longer work it might take me a few weeks to a month.
Contact: PM me with a brief description of your story, and I'll let you know if it's in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

purplemoon

purplemoon
Registered
Reaction score
Availability:Available to beta read
Preferences: Historical fiction with a military / romance preferred. I'm not interested in fantasy, Sci-fi, or paranormal
What I write: I write as I read. I've self published five books, (9 more waiting to go) but on this forum wish to 'give' before asking others to reciprocate.
Beta Style:probably best described as a 'loving amateur.' I like to lose myself in a book then contemplate it for a few days, write a few notes where I left the story or my mind wandered, then have another read to see if I can put together some succinct thoughts to help you. I am like many in that if I am hitting my head against a wall of bad grammar, spelling and a confused plot I will get an ice pack and politely opt to save my brain cells, (they are far too few as it is.)
Experience: I read when I can. I have a busy schedule, like our prospective readers. I studied theater in Canada and have performed in many different countries across Europe and Asia. I have owned theatre companies (in the UK), French restaurants, hotels, boutiques and even renovated thatched cottages. My family is comprised of professional athletes, artists and designers. We like to have fun. Reading is mine.
Timeline: An 80k book will probably take me two weeks to read twice and write notes etc.
Contact:pM me with a synopsis. They are a bore to write but are usually requested by publishers anyway. If it is my thing and I think I can be of some benefit, we can go from there. Cheers K

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I will try to work in anyone wanting to swap poetry; otherwise, I'm currently full

Preferences: free verse, prose poetry, or short stories (about 2,000-7,000 words) that are contemporary fiction (adult or YA), women’s fiction, romance, or fantasy (including dark fantasy and non-graphic horror).

I don't read first drafts, hard SF, or graphic horror. If you're thinking, "I'm not sure if she'll consider it graphic horror..." I'm probably not your target audience.

What I write: adult contemporary fiction, dark fantasy, women’s fiction, prose poetry, and free verse.

Beta style: I’ll mark my reactions as I read. I'll prioritize developmental feedback and look for positives, but I'll also tell you what doesn't work for me. If there are aspects of the piece you’d most like feedback about, please let me know. If there are aspects of the piece you don’t want feedback about, let me know that, too—but if those aspects loom as problems, I may tell you anyway.

I’ll be most help with work that’s already reasonably copy-edited. I’ll assess your prose as well as your story. I won’t rewrite your prose—though, if I give a suggestion, I may offer an example. You can check out my critiques in Share Your Work and Poetry Critique.

If you send me a .doc or .docx file, I'll use Microsoft Word to track changes. If you send me an .rtf or other type of text file, I'll mark comments in [brackets] in-line with the text.

Experience: I worked as an editor for academic journals, and I have poetry and fiction forthcoming in print. Most important—I read a lot.

Timeline: I should be able to return a short story within a week.

Contact: PM me w/word count and a few words describing your story

Last edited:

neurotype

New Fish; Thick Scales
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available.

Preferences: I prefer YA of any subgenre, but I am open to all that is readable. Newbies are fine, but you need a minimum of 20 posts to contact me! I'd love to work with a seasoned or semi-seasoned YA writer. Please nothing with explicit sexual abuse.

What I write: I write YA fantasy/supernatural. I'm currently working through my fifth novel and hoping to get it out to agents this summer. Anyone available for a swap is especially welcome!

Beta Style: I use Word and track changes. You'll get your draft back with my in-line comments and a separate document detailing my overall thoughts and recommendations for categories like Plot/Characterization/Setting/Writing Style and whatever else I find relevant. The in-line comments will be any and every reaction I have as I go through. I try to avoid excessive snark, but I do trend toward blunt reactions, i.e. what confuses me, where the writing slows down, scenes that I find irrelevant. I focus more on improvements you can make and stuff that doesn't work, but I will certainly outline what you do best when I see it, and I always add in positive comments to my overall recommendations document. I will usually line-edit portions of the novel when needed too, but if the plot needs major re-structuring then I will often avoid correcting grammar/spelling/phrasing, etc. until later drafts.

Experience: I've been writing for over ten years with five novels under my belt. I've submitted to agents for two novels, and the last one received some great feedback (though it wasn't picked up, unfortunately!). I have been a member of critique groups in the past and so far have provided feedback on seven novels for AW members since joining a few months ago. None of them sent me burning bags of poo in the mail, so I'm taking that as a sign of satisfaction! I am always available for questions and additional feedback as well, and will offer to critique future drafts when I feel a strong connection to the novel. I can also offer sensitivity reading for LGBTQ subjects.

Timeline: On average, I can get comments back to you within 2-3 weeks. I will always let you know at first contact if that estimate changes so you're aware of any delays. PLEASE let me know if you plan to edit your book while I'm reading, since it's always a bit redundant to provide feedback on something that's been entirely rewritten already.

Contact: PM me with a query or general brief synopsis and your first 500 words. Also give me details on what kind of critique you would like and areas to focus on (if applicable).

Last edited:

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I am no longer doing beta reading effective 7/2019

Last edited:

Comanche

Huh??
Registered
Reaction score
Not Available - just took on a project on August 23 - check back later, please..

Who I Am: An old guy. I have time to read and I read a lot. I know when my day is ending when I pour a craft beer, fire up a good cigar and read an engaging book. When I pick up a book to read, I give it my best shot - I don't put a book down unless I'm just plain bored to tears. If your first 200 words aren't so good, I don't care - even the first chapter won't make me put it down. You'll have to be bad through the first quarter of your book before I leave it to gather dust.

What I read: A lot of history, historical fiction, biographies and the occasional novel. And yes - I love J. R. R. Tolkien. It may be fantasy, but his works read like history. Ken Follett is another author I enjoy. You get the idea.

What I don't read: Youth oriented works, such as fantasy - vampires and zombies bore me. Not into erotica, though an occasional steamy scene is fine. Chic lit - not.

Experience as a Beta Reader: Just finished my first beta - and enjoyed the experience.

PM me if you are interested. I'll work in a Word file, using comments and/or revisions. I am not a particularity tough person, so I won't be body slamming anyone's writing, but I will be honest.

Last edited:

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: EDIT: closed for a few weeks as of 8/11/17

Preferences: I strongly prefer YA or NA. I'll happily read contemporary but I have a bigger soft spot for magical realism and paranormal elements. I'm not a huge fan of sci fi, but I'll read it if it's well written.

What I write: YA, mostly with magical realism. I'm working on finding an agent for a fairytale retelling at the moment.

Beta Style: I comment on the document with thoughts, questions, and any grammatical things I notice. Afterwards, I follow up with a letter that goes more into detail on the bigger plot and character problems I'm seeing. I tend to be pretty thorough and I don't hold anything back.

Experience: I've edited my own work time and time again. I'm an assistant editor for a journal, and I've been an editorial intern for two presses. I've also beta read for about a dozen AWers and assorted pals with good results.

Timeline: School is starting again, so it'll probably be 3 weeks to a month. I try to get manuscripts done sooner, but I'm not sure how rigorous my classes will be this semester.

Contact: PM me the genre, word count, and a short synopsis and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Last edited:

Skipworth11

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I just put this up so I'm currently wide open. However, I do start school in a bit so I will have to see how that affects my schedule.

What I Read: I'll read short stories; you can send me a few stories of under 2,000 words or so or send me one story of anywhere between 2,000 to like 10,000 words. I'll read poems; you can send me a few pages of poetry. However, poetry isn't exactly my strong suit, but I'll be willing to help anyway I can. If the premise interests me enough and I'm like dying to read it, I might read a novella. Unfortunately, being a full time college student soon I don't think I'll have the time to read any novel manuscripts. As far as style and genre goes, I like to read a rather wide array of stuff. I like scifi. I love real suspenseful stuff. I enjoy both "literary" and "genre" fiction but am blown away when a writer combines the two. To be honest, I tend not to enjoy fantasy as much. Overall, I'm pretty open to almost all genres and styles.

What I Write: I'm a rather young writer and have not tackled my first novel yet so I've only written short fiction. I also write a tiny bit of poetry. I write kinda a variety of stuff, a like to shoot for suspense in a lot of my work.

Experience: I've worked as a copy editor proofreading other's work at a newspaper. I've revised and edited my own work for a while, but overall I'm new to this.

Contact: PM me with the titles of your work, word counts and a short synopsis and I'll get back to you. If I decide to read your work, I would really appreciate it if you would give a few of my short stories a look as well. I won't send a ton, just a few stories or poems.

Last edited:

SheridanEF

Registered
Reaction score
Update: I'm currently full and will update again when I have more availability.

Availability: I am open to reading a full length novel or two (please have at least first draft done) over the next month - September 2017.
Preferences: I especially enjoy fantasy, particularly in the high fantasy and urban fantasy subgenres.
What I write: As you probably expect, I write fantasy. Currently, I have two unpublished novels. The first is in the hands of a terrific freelance editor right now, and I hope to have it back within the month.
Beta Style: Typically I focus more on upper level stuff (pacing, characterization, etc.), but I'm happy to delve into the weeds of word choice and sentence structure from time to time. I use a strength based approach and prefer open communication between myself and the author.
Experience: Other than my own writing, which I've been doing seriously for about 15 years, most of my editing experience lies in the realm of academic journal articles.
Timeline: This probably depends on the length of your novel and both of our availabilities.

Last edited:

FrancesD

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I can provide regular and timely input
Preferences: I'm a hard-working editor and I enjoy supporting people in their development if they are eager to interrogate their practice and deepen their writing. I want to read work that the writer has already put consideration into, both by reading widely and writing a lot. I don't mind what genre(s) you read and write in so long as you're passionate and have put the work in. I do particularly enjoy contemporary gothic, sci fi, and experimental contemporary writing.
What I write: I write in a range of styles. My short stories explore themes including materiality, neurodivergence, chronic pain, queerness, and work. I (try to!) write in a lucid, accessible way.
Beta Style: I'm a professional copywriter and editor with a background in fine art and tutoring. So I'm a pretty flexible reader depending on what you most want to work on.
Experience: As above, plus working with friends and writing group peers on their creative writing projects.
Timeline: Flexible

James Ryan

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: I am pretty flexible but have a 9 to 5 and am also a grad student.
Preferences: Looking for short stories of any kind, can't do any novels at the moment.
What I write:I write erotica.
Beta Style: I am pretty flexible but give that I am a grad school student I am use to reading research papers. I have a good eye for things that might be missing.
Experience: grad student

Last edited:

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: unavailable at the moment!
Preference: Any genre, novel or shorts - I'm just trying to get my feet wet with whatever I can!
What I write: Fiction, memoir, flash, journaling, self-help, & tech pubs at work
Beta style: New to doing beta reading so I will be mostly looking at flow, consistency, content and grammar until I get to know how this process works better. I am quite professional with my comments and will ask for clarification as needed.
Experience: Write, edit, and peer review technical publications (4 years)

Last edited:

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE - Likely will be unavailable through the end of the calendar year (2019), but feel free to check back in case this changes
Preferences: Fantasy novels, either YA or Adult. Any kind of fantasy is fine, be it high fantasy, epic fantasy, urban or contemporary fantasy, low fantasy, dark fantasy, fairy tale retellings. I'm even open to some horror so long as it contains supernatural or paranormal elements of some kind. I'm also open to Science Fiction, but I have less experience reading in that genre, and vastly prefer space opera to any other kind of SF.
What I write: Again, fantasy. Mostly epic fantasy or sword-and-sorcery, but I also have a YA gaslamp fantasy series in the works and am preparing to write a contemporary fantasy for my newest project.
Beta Style: I am only available to give general feedback on things like pacing, characterization, plot consistency, etc. I do not do line edits or fix grammar. My process is to read the story and give you overall notes on the entire novel once I've finished reading it. I am a big fan of Mary Robinette Kowal's form of beta-reading, which basically advises the beta reader to explain what they liked, what confused them, and what bored them.
Experience: I've beta read a couple of novels before for friends/classmates.
Timeline: Depends somewhat on the length of the novel, but generally, within a month.
Contact: Please EMAIL me if interested: [email protected]. You can PM here if you prefer, but I'm not on this website as often as I would like these days, and it's entirely possible I won't see your PM request for several weeks. When you contact me, please advise me of the word count of your novel/story, and a short sample from the work is also appreciated (a few paragraphs is fine). Thanks!

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Availability- Not right now.

Preference- SF/F, mostly. Added points if it veers towards the more realistic side. I'm open to crime/mystery, and like gritty. Always interested in who's writing humor our there, my own sensibilities get pretty salty & bizarre. No YA, please, though the last time I said that I caved and was very glad I did.

Experience- Beta'd many time. Full time bookseller, read a lot. Otherwise pretty unextraordinary.

Timeline- A month, maybe.

Contact- PM me!

Last edited:

jj528

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Unavailable right now

Preferences: YA contemporary/romance. I can read any YA, but have read mostly contemporary/romance and can help the most with those genres (exception: superheroes. I'm an avid comic reader/reader of anything involving people with powers). I can read any kind of narrative (dark, gory, funny, etc.), but please no love triangles.

What I write: Surprise surprise, I write YA contemporary, usually with a non-white/mixed race protagonist.

Beta Style: Pretty much whatever you need from me; to be quite honest, I'll be reading for grammar no matter what simply because that's who I am. If you need me to do more overarching story edits, or focus on specific characters, I can do that, as well.

Experience: I have no experience as a beta, but I've been editing my friends' academic papers for grammar/syntax/clarity for a few years.

Timeline: I absolutely love editing, and can edit a full book in under a month (most likely under 2 weeks, depending on work/school).

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
  • Availability: Available now <-- belay that; someone snapped me up
  • Preferences: SF/Fantasy, Nonfiction, Memoir
  • What I write: Nonfiction
  • Beta Style: No idea, I'm learning about beta reading; I'm a very experienced nonfiction developmental editor
  • Experience: I "ghostwrote" (I got cover credit, so not really a ghost) I'm the Boss of Me, which came out in 2016. I beta read (I guess) some short stories for an acquaintance on LinkedIn; he liked what I did. I took part of a course on book mapping, have all the course materials, and am willing to learn by doing; I book map nonfiction, but we call that content analysis. My overall experience developing books is over 30 years. I do my best to be tactful and diplomatic, while being clear. I won't line edit unless you ask me.
  • Timeline: I work slowly because my day job is editing books freelance, and I often work well into the evening hours. On the other hand, my kids went off to college so I have more time than I used to.

Last edited:

Flanderso

Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Available now
Preferences: Fantasy, preferably not YA
What I write: Fantasy, preferably low
Beta Style: First time beta reading, so no idea. But I will say this: if you just want a from-the-gut, no-frills opinion from a garden-variety, bog-standard moron, then I'm your man. And hey, its free, so what you got to lose?
Experience: I once had a CP. Now I don't have a CP

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Availability: Hit and miss ... when I find an interesting work I can hit a lot more.
Preferences: Anything except YA, LGBT, Romance, and SF Don't regularly read any of those so can't offer a good beta.
What I write: Historical fiction, Thriller, Humor ... humor usually shows up in most of what I write,
Beta Style: I prefer line by line unless a work has already been well edited by someone other than the author. I have found I miss a lot in editing my own work and assume others do too. If the work has enough problems I will cut off and offer to beta an improved work.
Experience: I done beta reads for a half-dozen or so works, with satisfied writers.
Timeline: varies according to what I am doing and the weather but once I start I usually work quickly
Contact:pM here and we'' switch to e-mail if the project and what I offer match
ADDITIONAL: Honesty provides the most help. I am not a professional editor so look at what I return at opinion of a reader rather than strong judgment. I'll tell you what I see and expect you reject as much of it as you wish. You may need thick skin to deal with my evaluation but I'm never intentionally unkind. I like to work in segments and offer thought while receiving feedback from you.

Last edited:

Victor Douglas

Things Will Change
Registered
Reaction score
Unavailable Now
Preferences: Genre fiction, Sci-Fi (no fantasy please, except Urban Fantasy), Mystery, Horror, Suspense/Thriller
What I Write: Technothrillers
Beta Style: Glad to provide overall feedback on narrative style, characterization, dialogue, etc. I am no editor, however. Pretty similar to AirandDarkness, above
Experience: A bit. I've done a couple of novellas so far
Timeline: At least 2 weeks per 20K words

I've had plenty of enquiries to choose from, so thanks everyone.

Last edited:

smaoineamh

Registered
Reaction score
  • Availability: Available now
  • Preferences: SF/F/Romance (ideally with LGBTQ+ characters)! I'm a fan of C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince series and would be happy to beta read anything similar.
  • What I write: Mostly Fantasy/Romance
  • Beta Style: Flexible. I've done beta reads where I did an extensive overview of my experience and major takeaways after reading the entire work, and I've also provided chapter by chapter break-downs of what I'm thinking as I'm reading. I do not do line-editing for grammar, spelling or syntax.
  • Experience: I've beta read a number of complete manuscripts through Goodreads. I also do beta reading through a site called Wattpad.
  • Timeline: Usually, I'll need 3-4 weeks to go through a complete novel and write up my thoughts. I'll most likely be able to go a lot faster if I really enjoy the work.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
As of October 2017:

Availability:
Varies constantly depending on work and other projects. I like to read for fun, and will read to unwind after work, and I'm always looking for something interesting. That could just as well be a beta novel or story.

Preferences:
I like to read Science Fiction, and particularly “hard” SF. I also read thrillers with some kind of technical (not only political) background.

What I write:
I’ve written (published) non-fiction for almost 30 years now. I’m only just getting into narrative fiction: my instinct is to go with the SF I love, but I’ve not come up with any stories other than vignettes or technology/setting demos. What I actually end up writing is anybody’s guess, since I decided to “follow the story” and not per-determine a genre.

Beta Style:
I’d like to read on a tablet, in my reading chair away from my desk. General feedback along the lines of a character speaking out-of-character, a confusing jump, an inconsistency, overuse or misuse of a specific phrase, etc. I’ll note in another document. I can copy/paste the passage so you can find it, or use numbering you’ve embedded in the file. (E.g. page numbers are hard-coded not device-specific, or sections are numbered, or even paragraphs have numbers in the left margin.)

Line Editing and Copy Editing is something I’m good at, but that’s not what I’m signing up for here. That’s something I would do at my desk, and charge or barter for. As a beta reader, I’d say “This gets so annoying—learn how (not) to use a comma.” but won’t circle each one for you.

Experience:
I have a knack for technical editing of complex documents and spotting inconsistencies. I’ve worked as a technical editor for two published print magazines. For fiction, that translates into finding plot holes, and lots of details like “You said she was outside; how did she get here all of a sudden?” or “When was this supposed to have happened? The timeline is X Y Z and she was still upset at Y so exactly when was this team-bonding experience supposed to have taken place?” Those are things I’ve seen in Web Fiction, which seems to be pre-beta quality for the most part.

Timeline:
I’ll read a novel (for fun) quickly.

via PM.

briannacombs

Registered
Reaction score
I do thorough, free beta reviews for you. Visit my website.

Availability: I am available with a waiting list
Preferences: historical, thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, cozy mystery, crime
What I write: all the above
Beta Style: I will send you an in-depth review/critique, and do any line-edits per your request
Experience: I have completed multiple betas
Timeline: It usually takes me 1-2 weeks
Contact: please visit my website to see more timeline and waiting list information. You can also apply there.

briannacombsbetaservice.weebly.com

-Brianna

Status
Not open for further replies.