How is everyone?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hi. What is this room? Are the bagels for everybody?

Today was a good writing day. I cranked out a smoldering sex scene that takes a sharp turn to tender at just the right moment. I was a little bit worried, because I have no problems writing sex scenes when the muse strikes, but in this case I'm rewriting in order and its number was just up. But somehow I managed. It's almost like I have a modicum of professionalism.

Then the scary part. I had to follow this hot scene with one that's mainly plot setup. I figured I better get to it while I was on a roll, or I might stall and never get it off the ground. So I cracked open my special writing wine. It's called "The Poet", so I like to imagine it summons the muse, but that's a lot of pressure. At least if it failed at inspiration I could consider it a reward for a scene well written.

It's a first draft, but I got a good start on the follow-up. I think I kept it interesting with a little love triangle flirtation, while coming to the necessary plot development naturally. I can't quite figure out how the scene ends, but now that I've got it started, I'm sure I just need to play with variations until one finds a natural stopping point.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Finished some freelance work this morning, so now I'm free to go back to my own stuff until the next assignment comes in. Or maybe I'll just read. Already did the laundry. Have I ever mentioned my issues with procrastination/time management?

I'm considering a brief fling with a different genre to get my juices flowing again. This means I get to read all sorts of stuff. If you're into YA, I just finished The 5th Wave and thought it was awesome. Anyone else read anything besides romance, either as a break or to recharge?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Getting my lurk on (I'm doing the Thriller dance, you just can't see me).

I don't have much going on by way of Romance, other than that I'm trying to make a burnt cinnamon roll out of my hero. The recipe calls for at least 900 degrees and 80,000 more words. I'll let you know how he turns out. Maybe I'll post a piece of him and we can all have a bite. ;)

Glad the writing is going well! :)
Yes please do post a little snippet of him! I've got a juicy fireman in my new wip, although that could change to a paramedic in a heart beat.

Three epilogues!? What book was this? Seems like overkill to me, but I know sometimes as I fan I've begged for a satisfying epilogue, haha!

As for me, I am still diligently outlining my newest project. I have the habit of telling myself I'll figure out certain details later, but it always bites me in the butt during revisions. NOT THIS TIME! I've gone full nerd. I have a spreadsheet and a separate Word outline where I put more details. I'm sure I won't think of everything, but my Excel spreadsheet should make it easier to move things around and keep it straight without having to reread the whole book. I hope.
Of course you would ask which book, sorry I have no idea...I honestly read too much, many of the works are more like quick novella's so I go through them super fast. But if I come across it or I remember I will def tell you. Good for you being so organized, I like the idea of an outline, but I know as I write I would veer off and I never stick to it. But I can see how it would keep you out of a jam having a detailed road map.

Oh, hi. What is this room? Are the bagels for everybody?

Today was a good writing day. I cranked out a smoldering sex scene that takes a sharp turn to tender at just the right moment. I was a little bit worried, because I have no problems writing sex scenes when the muse strikes, but in this case I'm rewriting in order and its number was just up. But somehow I managed. It's almost like I have a modicum of professionalism.

Then the scary part. I had to follow this hot scene with one that's mainly plot setup. I figured I better get to it while I was on a roll, or I might stall and never get it off the ground. So I cracked open my special writing wine. It's called "The Poet", so I like to imagine it summons the muse, but that's a lot of pressure. At least if it failed at inspiration I could consider it a reward for a scene well written.

It's a first draft, but I got a good start on the follow-up. I think I kept it interesting with a little love triangle flirtation, while coming to the necessary plot development naturally. I can't quite figure out how the scene ends, but now that I've got it started, I'm sure I just need to play with variations until one finds a natural stopping point.
Yes this is the break room so food of all kinds are welcome. I love cheddar cheese bagels but oh they aren't good for the waist line! I love writing sex scenes and sometimes when I'm anxious for my characters to finally get together I'll just write the sex scene and then later delete it when I realize it's too soon. Nothing worse than stalling, of course my rolls always happen around midnight...ughhhh!

Finished some freelance work this morning, so now I'm free to go back to my own stuff until the next assignment comes in. Or maybe I'll just read. Already did the laundry. Have I ever mentioned my issues with procrastination/time management?

I'm considering a brief fling with a different genre to get my juices flowing again. This means I get to read all sorts of stuff. If you're into YA, I just finished The 5th Wave and thought it was awesome. Anyone else read anything besides romance, either as a break or to recharge?
I love the idea of going into different genre's. I've been setting aside my dark romance reading for women's contemporary again, simply because alot of the kidnapping scenarios always refer to Stockholm Syndrome and it was grating on my last nerve. So I've taken a mini break from those quick delicious reads.

My daughter is back in town today and tomorrow I'm going with her to look at apartments, oh the joys of hunting for a place to live! To be young again. I'm sick of winter and it was -25 this morning....good god it can fuck off anytime now. Sorry for the f-bomb but it's how I feel. Happy Thursday everyone!

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a juicy fireman in my new wip, although that could change to a paramedic in a heart beat.

If my cinnamon roll is burning, your fireman has to save him. <3

sometimes when I'm anxious for my characters to finally get together I'll just write the sex scene and then later delete it when I realize it's too soon

If the sex scene is an emotional highlight, sometimes I like skipping ahead to write them because it keeps the emotional goalpost in clear focus.

I try to force myself to read all over the place because it keeps me thinking outside of the box. Every time I find something that is Not My Genre and makes me say, "Wow!" it's worth it, because I'm saving that piece of insight in my pocket for later.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else read anything besides romance, either as a break or to recharge?
Yes, I find that after awhile the books all seem the same and I lose the excitement of reading them so I have to switch it up and take a much needed break.

If my cinnamon roll is burning, your fireman has to save him. <3
Ha...do you mean cinnamon BUN....and of course he will. It's funny you mention that because the 2nd scene with him is at his sisters house where he's eating a fresh homemade cinnamon bun :)

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Looks like reading YA novels worked. A (romance) series idea that's been simmering in the back of my head for years recently sat up and yelled for attention, so I started fiddling around with it last night. We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just found out I'm going to become a great-aunt. My nephew and his new wife (they got married a little over a year ago) are expecting. Baby's due in September.

Dang, now I feel old. But I'll always be younger than my brother. :evil

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just found out I'm going to become a great-aunt. My nephew and his new wife (they got married a little over a year ago) are expecting. Baby's due in September.

Dang, now I feel old. But I'll always be younger than my brother. :evil

Ha...yep....I was just at a babyshower last sunday to welcome my great-nephew to the world :) We're a couple of old boots Pterofan!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If the baby is born in September, that'll be one busy month for that family. Dave (my nephew) got married on September 23 (Bruce Springsteen's birthday, a fact I learned listening to the radio on the drive down to New Jersey). His dad's (my brother's) birthday is September 13. (Yes, my brother was born on a Friday.) Now we have another arrival scheduled for the same month. I'm hoping for September 3. It has symmetry.

And now I know what Dave was up to during the January cold snap ... ;)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the baby is born in September, that'll be one busy month for that family. Dave (my nephew) got married on September 23 (Bruce Springsteen's birthday, a fact I learned listening to the radio on the drive down to New Jersey). His dad's (my brother's) birthday is September 13. (Yes, my brother was born on a Friday.) Now we have another arrival scheduled for the same month. I'm hoping for September 3. It has symmetry.

And now I know what Dave was up to during the January cold snap ... ;)
Ha! Of course, it makes total sense! I love that your brother was born friday the 13th! September is going to be busy for you.

Our busy month is march and april, march 1 is my daughters b-day, 8th and 9th are my father in law and mother in law. April 3rd is me, april 16th is hubby, our anniversary is the 21st our niece is the 12th and of course....toss in Easter....yep April is our crazy month!

Lex181

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the peculiar half way point in my novel. I've finished my plot arc (huge piece of paper stuck to my wall) and I've plotted chapter to chapter what's going to happen, but as usual I've reached the 200 page point and found myself crippled with self doubt. Is my work good enough? Are my characters well rounded or just one dimensional and annoying? Why do I keep spelling "receive" wrong? I'm trying to give myself a shake and get on with it, I find that in times like this I have to just keep trudging through until I see the light again!
I'm also doing quite a bit of research. My heroine is a garden designer, which I know nothing about, so researching that is actually quite interesting and a good way to take a break from my writing when it's driving me crazy but still be productive.
I'm also trying to post more on here, I think this forum will be an invaluable support so I'm really trying to cultivate some good relationships : )

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lex181-Oh just be careful of the researching rabbit hole! I myself have fallen down this hole and then struggle to climb out lol. I can totally relate to the self doubt, it happens to me all the time and I'm still struggling with it. What I've come to realize is all of my false starts and half written novels are me learning how to write. I never delete them and I never stop myself from starting a new work even if I haven't finished what I'm currently working on. For me...I've come to realize that I'm a work in progress, which has been huge for me and gives me the will to carry on. I realize at some point I have to finish something, but I'm not getting hung up on that aspect. I'm trying to enjoy the process of writing in of itself. If that makes any sense.

ps Welcome to AW!

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at the peculiar half way point in my novel. I've finished my plot arc (huge piece of paper stuck to my wall) and I've plotted chapter to chapter what's going to happen, but as usual I've reached the 200 page point and found myself crippled with self doubt. Is my work good enough? Are my characters well rounded or just one dimensional and annoying? Why do I keep spelling "receive" wrong? I'm trying to give myself a shake and get on with it, I find that in times like this I have to just keep trudging through until I see the light again!
I'm also doing quite a bit of research. My heroine is a garden designer, which I know nothing about, so researching that is actually quite interesting and a good way to take a break from my writing when it's driving me crazy but still be productive.
I'm also trying to post more on here, I think this forum will be an invaluable support so I'm really trying to cultivate some good relationships : )

Hi Lex181. I'm in the middle of the second draft of my first novel, and I still can't tell if it has a plot, so congrats on getting your plot arc down. It's been a whle since your post, so hopefully you're over that hump. The fact that you ask yourself if the work is good? An indicator that it probably is. Or will be. Best of luck. And spelling "receive" wrong? I keep spelling "cloak" wrong. Why do I want to put an "r" in there? I'm trying to post more, as well. Building relationships is hard.