title usage in conversation, ca 1920s England

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm working on a short story set in the early 1920s in England, in which the main characters are friends and collaborators on a large project. One of them is a grand-daughter of Queen Victoria, with the courtesy title of Her Highness. I'm going on the assumption that the other character would use "ma'am" to her in conversation, the same way it's used for present-day female royals...does that sound right (or at least believable?)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
A grand daughter of Queen Victoria would of be a Princess . The correct form of address is , at first you would say , Your Royal Highness , and later Ma'am .
The 1920s was a interesting period for the royals . They were changing their names and trying to distance themselves from their German ancestors. There was also a desire to be come part of the English upper class , and they are still trying . I'm sure among friends,the princess would not expect to be address that way

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Her actual title (she's a historical figure) was "Her Highness", not "Royal Highness"--the daughters of Princess Helena got caught in surname/title limbo during the title rearrangements that took place during WWI. So I guess I'll go with the "ma'am" for conversational usage--thank you!