• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Sensitivity Reader Needed - Philippine Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

First, an apology: I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this post. If the moderators could move it if needed, I appreciate it and apologize for adding to your list of duties!

If you look up my past posts, you'll see I've been struggling with a YA novel for the past 4-ish years. Struggle, because this book is a baby that makes all my other babies feel more like nieces and nephews. In the story, a sixteen-year-old girl dives into a civil war to avenge her boyfriend's murder. The problem I'm having: the civil war is between two groups of the same Philippine deity. And I'm not Filipina.

Long story short: I'm hoping there is a wonderful AWer or two who may be willing to provide some comments on the culture in the novel. I've done research, of course, but I'm aware research will never result in the same accuracy as when a native writes the story. Note: I'm not asking you to full-out beta (hence my confusion on where to post).

Before I post this, may I also add that I'm well aware of the various pitfalls here - I've recently learned about cultural appropriation (slightly ashamed that it took me this long), and I am aware that the #ownvoices movement applies very much to this story. While I appreciate comments about this, perhaps you could directly message me rather than post in the thread. Its not my intention to offend anyone or start an argument. The direct opposite is true!

Thank you so much, and have a wonderful day!

K. Wilcox

Registered
Reaction score
I am not Filipina, but my heart is and I lived there for a while... I know some inside views of the culture that make books about them kind of funny to me as their motives are grossly misinterpreted. If you can't find a real one.. I could help.. I also can ask actual Filipinas

Status
Not open for further replies.