Pharma CEO going to prison

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
9 years for 76 deaths?

The guy must have had the best legal team ever.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
White collar crime, the judicial system is in need of serious reform.
dollars make a huge difference in the US they have to cap the spending somehow:tongue

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
White collar crime, the judicial system is in need of serious reform.

He was on trial for multiple counts of second-degree murder, but the jury cleared him of those. He went down for add-on conspiracy charges.

Like I said, a helluva legal team. How the blazes did they overcome the stream of survivors with lifelong medical issues?

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
dollars make a huge difference in the US they have to cap the spending somehow:tongue

Casey Anthony's lawyer, Baez, had six years experience.

Money helps, as it does with everything, but just like everything, paying a lot doesn't mean you automatically get the best.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can see having a hard time pinning it on him, though I didn't hear much of anything about the trial, so for all I know they had a great case and he just had excellent consultants.

Article says the guy in charge of the lab itself is up next. That'd seem an easier get, in a general sense.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I went to your first thread and posted a link to the NBC article, am duplicating it here for posterity:

The Yahoo link appears to be broken. Here's an NBC link that seems to be static:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...maceuticals-ceo-martin-shkreli-report-n481671

"...The pair, who could each face up to 20 years in prison, were arraigned Thursday afternoon. Greebel's bond was set at $1 million while Shkreli's was $5 million.

Both were able to pay and walked out of court soon after...."

the part about coming up with bond so easily and walking out has me just smh

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
I can see having a hard time pinning it on him, though I didn't hear much of anything about the trial, so for all I know they had a great case and he just had excellent consultants.

Article says the guy in charge of the lab itself is up next. That'd seem an easier get, in a general sense.

I would have though with twenty-five charges at least one would stick. The side with the emotional play, in this case the prosecution, usually wins. I really am hoping to find a good legal review of the trial.

The only thing I can think of is proving the link between the mold and the harm. If the guy's education was in business, or if the prosecution couldn't absolutely prove the link between the two.

Something seriously derailed the prosecution's case, and the Feds don't often lose. The million-dollar question is whether this was just sharp lawyering, or if the defense found a real evidence gap in the prosecution's case. If it is the latter, it might help the next defendant.

Definitely going to be one to keep tabs upon.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I would have though with twenty-five charges at least one would stick. The side with the emotional play, in this case the prosecution, usually wins. I really am hoping to find a good legal review of the trial.

The only thing I can think of is proving the link between the mold and the harm. If the guy's education was in business, or if the prosecution couldn't absolutely prove the link between the two.

Something seriously derailed the prosecution's case, and the Feds don't often lose. The million-dollar question is whether this was just sharp lawyering, or if the defense found a real evidence gap in the prosecution's case. If it is the latter, it might help the next defendant.

Definitely going to be one to keep tabs upon.

The 25 charges were the same charge.

He was convicted, just not of murder. He was the CEO. I suspect the pharma manager will fare worse.

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
The 25 charges were the same charge.

He was convicted, just not of murder. He was the CEO. I suspect the pharma manager will fare worse.

He faced 25 charges of second-degree murder charges according to the article:

Jurors acquitted Cadden of 25 second-degree murder charges under the federal racketeering law but found him guilty of fraud and conspiracy.

Prosecution asked for 35 years for the charges he was found guilty of, defense argued 3, he got 9. From the split I would say the defense carried the day, at least in the judge's opinion.

In a group situation prosecutors lead with their best case so that a guilty verdict will pressure the others to cut a deal. A prime example in recent ,media attention would be the Freddie Gray case in Baltimore, where the prosecution collapsed after the strongest cases failed to deliver a guilty verdict.

I really want to see the details of the trial. Something went seriously wrong for the prosecution.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that this was a Fed trial, and he's going to a Fed prison, and he'll serve the full nine years, there being no parole in the Fed system. It may seem a little light in duration, but this guy's life as he knew it is over. He'll never again manage a business and take home bazoogles of money in salary, perks, bonuses, etc. At his age, he'll likely never have a productive job again.

There will be appeals, of course. And immense public outrage if they work.

Yet, despite all of this, it doesn't seem any of these kinds of cases communicate anything to other white-collar miscreants, any more than have the various financial scandal cases of recent years. We all know there are others out there right now pursuing various schemes to embezzle, steal and/or cut dangerous corners with their products and services. They just think, like this guy did, that they can get away with it because they are smarter. Some will. Some won't.

caw

Last edited:

Mondo

New and suspicious
Registered
Reaction score
There's no parole, but there are various time-cutters, especially for minimum security types such as this guy. Jeff Skilling of Enron fame was sentenced to 24 years and is getting out this year after serving ten.

The question about his future is how well his personal fortune was insulated. He was a CEO, not a proprietary owner, so his own money may be at least partially OK. Certainly whatever portion is successfully hidden.

Prison deters some, I suppose, but only some. In my city I've got many examples of three generations all serving time together. Siblings, parents, grandparents.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, they got Al Capone on tax evasion, AIR. At least they didn't skate away totally.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the responses from prospective jurors have been released. They brightened my day

Link

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shkreli's bond was revoked and he's off to jail.

Pharma cad Martin Shkreli was decreed a “danger to society” Wednesday and jailed by a federal judge following Facebook posts in which the loudmouth said he’d cough up $5,000 per strand of Hillary Clinton’s hair.

I shall now do my Nelson Muntz impression "HA HA"

Link

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Shkreli's bond was revoked and he's off to jail.

Maximum-security jail, until his sentencing in January. If it actually happens then; these things routinely slide into later-on. And his arrogant boasts about being sent to a "Club Fed where he can play tennis and X-box" might not go over so well now, either. Perhaps he gets to spend some quality years with Ted Kaczynski and Ramzy Youssef in a Fed Supermax.

That is, of course, if 45 doesn't pardon him.

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Maximum-security jail, until his sentencing in January. If it actually happens then; these things routinely slide into later-on. And his arrogant boasts about being sent to a "Club Fed where he can play tennis and X-box" might not go over so well now, either. Perhaps he gets to spend some quality years with Ted Kaczynski and Ramzy Youssef in a Fed Supermax.

That is, of course, if 45 doesn't pardon him.

caw

Oh, no no no, he's in MDC, which is... not a nice place, to put it mildly. At least until he's sentenced, the world can smile a bit, because he's really in a shithole.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shkreli apologizes.

I used poor judgement but never intended to cause alarm or promote any act of violence whatsoever.

No, darlin'. "Poor judgement" is when you buy shrimp from that guy in the van parked in the Sears parking lot.

And now Shkreli is learning one of the long standing tenets that we all know here at AW "Own your words"

You say it, you own it and the consequences.

I repeat

HA HA